• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Council Tax - "14 day Letter"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2425 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What I find difficult to reconcile is the op says the 14 day letter was deliberately removed. Then he says.it was an unintended consequence.

Then after acknowledging the section was deliberately and legally removeved, he maintains the LGO can and will find there has been maladministration when the authority tollows the modified procedure.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Yes but no answer to points raised.

Nothing you say on this post is true it is just more trolling.

V BORING

You seem unable to argue without being abusive, just an observasion

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Oh that, I thought you were joking.

You are right about one thing though I will let you guess which bit it is.

DB

I do agree that it has become boring though. How about we draw a line under it and move on? You are without doubt a very clever and informed individual and I obviously don't know anything about anything. I get it. I think everyone gets it.

Now for the sake of your fellow posters, the admin who have to continually check these reported posts that you and your colleagues are making and most importantly, the debtors, would you please stop this silly vendetta?

Where you have a very serious problem with is with your inability to respect that you have one opinion......and others have another. Instead, you continually attempt to force your opinions on others and if they do not agree, you resort to throwing insults.

You have already made clear that your interest with 'bailiff enforcement' is limited to council tax recovery and your visits on this forum appear to be to encourage debtors to issue complaints to local authorities and more recently, to the Local Government Ombudsman.

I have posted my opinions on this thread and so have others. There should be nothing further to add.

I don't like option 2 in that other thread either..

2. You are not legally obliged to speak with the bailiffs or pay them any money.

You can simply do nothing and wait for the bailiffs to throw the towel in and return the debt to the council voluntarily.

By doing so, all bailiff fees would be removed from the debt. If you choose to go down this road, you should write to the council and explain what you are doing and the reason why you are doing it is because there is no advantage to you financially to deal with the bailiffs and as you are not legally bound (there's that expression again) to do so, you will not be doing so on this occasion.

really anyone?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Here's an example of this option working DX:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?458983-jbw-council-tax-debt

The OP in this thread ended up paying the debt back by way of an AoE, which is all she ever wanted to do. ALL bailiff fees were naturally removed from her account, meaning her AoE ended much sooner than if she'd have followed the advice of BA.

As always, I do like to ensure that posts are accurate. The link above should be read by all visitors:

The OP (Polly) had been encouraged (via private message) to leave this forum and visit the forum where 'already exists' usually posts. It was him that then encouraged 'Polly' to send an endless stream of letters to the council over a period of months.

Her posts on that forum displayed a very disturbing level of anxiety with the constant letter writing. Sadly, her case is a well known one to frequent posters on here. Polly was used as a 'guinea pig' in order to try to 'get one over' on this forum.

well we much prefer that certain people mass-debate over getting away with posting incorrect information here rather than in the main forum

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Off topic posts unapproved..

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

OK Back on topic. Previously section 45 provided tht a notice should be sent BEFORE ddistress was entered into, here:

.—(1) In regulation 45(1) (distress)(1), for the words from “the authority” to “may” there is substituted “the authority which applied for the order may, subject to regulation 45A,”.

(2) After regulation 45 there is inserted—

“Information preliminary to distress

45A.—(1) No distress shall be made under these regulations unless, no less than 14 days before a visit

"

When section 45 was altered in ordered to say," by use of the schedule 12 procedure" there was absolutely no reason why section 45A had to be removed. The section could quite happily have remained and fulfilled exactly the same function, giving a warning before the enforcement began.

Therefore it was not an unavoidable or unintended consequence it was by choice of the legislators.

Now, how can anyone accuse the council of maladministration, for following the new procedure regarding the issuance of notices

They are merely following the legislation in its altered form.

OK Back on topic. Previously section 45 provided tht a notice should be sent BEFORE ddistress was entered into, here:

.—(1) In regulation 45(1) (distress)(1), for the words from “the authority” to “may” there is substituted “the authority which applied for the order may, subject to regulation 45A,”.

(2) After regulation 45 there is inserted—

“Information preliminary to distress

45A.—(1) No distress shall be made under these regulations unless, no less than 14 days before a visit

"

When section 45 was altered in ordered to say," by use of the schedule 12 procedure" there was absolutely no reason why section 45A had to be removed. The section could quite happily have remained and fulfilled exactly the same function, giving a warning before the enforcement began.

Therefore it was not an unavoidable or unintended consequence it was by choice of the legislators.

Now, how can anyone accuse the council of maladministration, for following the new procedure regarding the issuance of notices

They are merely following the legislation in its altered form.

Exactly - The 2014 Order which removed s45A was clear in that it was to be omitted. It's quite clear the intention was to replace it entirely with the new procedure for notification and enforcement by agents.

It should of course read reg45A, not s45A.

Craig

Yes thanks, indeed it should :)

It was a comment on DB's post - which, of course, addresses the earlier points you raised that the removal of the 14 day notice as an 'unintended consequence'. I'm sure DB will correct me if I misunderstood their post.

Craig

NO quite correct. I was not correcting anyone, merely attempting to clarify

7mday

What I said was an unintended consequence was the fact that also included in reg 45A was a requirement to contact the debtor to notify them that a LO had been obtained. I'm sure that even you would agree that it cannot possibly have been intended to have a situation in statute whereby a council can obtain a LO and then pass the debt straight onto bailiffs to do all the dirty work because the council can't be bothered with the paperwork?

Well, it seems that this is exactly what was intended, as it was stated in the amendments that the facility to contact the debtor prior to enforcement be removed.

The amendment says remove reg 45A. The only thing reg 45A does is to say a letter must be sent etc. so how can this be unintended.

Are you trying to say that parliament wasn't aware that it would mean the debt could go straight to enforcement?

I think that cannot be correct. I think it more likely that the reason it was removed was to make that happen, because of the seven-day notice, resident in the compliance stage in the TCE.