Constructive dismissal case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there everyone,

I have my friend that worked for the last 15 years within the same company. He transferred himself from one site to another as he moved home but under the same Optician company.

Anyway 2 months ago there was a new Manager taking over and the problems started.

He asked the new Manager to leave 1 hour early from work 2 days ago as he had a problem at home to sort out but he did ask the Manager 5 days before. The Manager did leave a note to close the shop at 16.30 but he did request that he needed to be out of the shop before 16.00. To mention that the shop closes at 17.30 every day.

Anyway as he did not see him at all anymore since the day he asked and being left alone in the shop (Optician - high street) for many days which I believe it is against the law, he is now faced with a big disappointment almost every day - and it does sound to me that it is Constructive dismissal case as he received a letter from new Manager saying that as he left the shop at 15.45 the day he asked for he has to sign a letter written without any legal merit that he has failed to tell the Manager - which is totally a lie.

He asked and booked before (7 months in advance precisely) the new Manager arrived for holiday but the Manager says that he does not agree with it.

The Manager said that any employer is not allowed to toilet break....what kind of sick person is that to say that???

Also the Manager said that my friend has to stay every day after 17.30 when the shop is closed but as he has family he has to be at home as soon as he finishes. Also there is no extra pay for any extra hours as well

The Manager does not like my friend at all as everything he has to say he is cut from any reply or opinion by the Manager.

Manager said that he is cutting from salary for any 15 minutes being late at work.

What do you think about all this??? Does he have a Case here??? And if so what and how shall he start?

He did say that he wants to give his Notice but I did mention that once he does it he can not do anything else after. Is it ok to give his Notice following the Constructive dismissal that Manager is bumping into him or he can do anything once he is still there. Maybe an employment tribunal???

Thank you,

dd

Well, he could just resign and lodge a claim, but it would fail if he hant addressed it properly through interal channels first.

I'd say 3 has merit, 4 may or may not depnding on the terms of the contract and if he is paid above minimum wage.

1. is his problem not the shops so no merit unless its emergency dependent leave - which if he had notice of it, seems unlikely. Boilers etc get fixed on your own time.

2. depends how long the holiday is for and when it got cancelled.

5. so what?

6. fair enough if it's in the contract - can't he just get there on time and it won't be an issue?

Investigate the greivance process first.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Well, he could just resign and lodge a claim, but it would fail if he hant addressed it properly through interal channels first.

I'd say 3 has merit, 4 may or may not depnding on the terms of the contract and if he is paid above minimum wage.

1. is his problem not the shops so no merit unless its emergency dependent leave - which if he had notice of it, seems unlikely. Boilers etc get fixed on your own time.

2. depends how long the holiday is for and when it got cancelled.

5. so what?

6. fair enough if it's in the contract - can't he just get there on time and it won't be an issue?

Investigate the greivance process first.

Hi Emmzi,

Thank you so much for your reply. My friend is extremely disappointed as the Manager looked from the beginning to create problems.

Although my friend has done everything and helped the Manager when started as he did so many mistakes, it looks that Manager could be helped by someone else in order to kick the staff out.

There is another colleague in the same situation and although they have experience the Manager looks like he wants to bring his family or friends in. Is this method allowed??? It looks as a push or kick out of good people within the Company without the Top Managers knowing. We know that some Managers are interested only in money being ignorant to anyone else...

Anyway I should try to help him in looking into his contract and the Employment law....

Many thanks and keep posting.

dd

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.