• Tweets

• Well I sent them the letter of claim, the only responses so far was a few emails reopening the claims on the parcels where they asked for information such as proof of value (which I get) but other things like photos of the parcels, which I haven't got as I never took photos of them. It's been well over the 14 days since I sent the letter now anyway, so what do you think I should do now?
    • Know it has already been answered, but? Does not explain why JCI has registered a different default date when they get the information from the original creditor, Virgin
    • Since you were stopped at the time there is no requirement for the police give you anything there and then or to send you anything before they have decided how to deal with the offence.  They have three choices: Offer you a course Offer you a fixed penalty (£100 and three points) Prosecute you in court  The only option that has a formal time limit is (3). They must begin court proceedings within six months of the date of the alleged offence. Options (1) and (2) have no time limit but since the only alternative the police have if you decline those offers is (3) they will not usually offer a course beyond three months from the date of the offence and will not usually offer a fixed penalty beyond four months from that date. This is so as to allow time for the driver to accept and comply with their offer and to give them the time to go to option (3) if he declines or ignores it.  Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, the action they take will usually be in accordance with the National Police Chiefs' Council's guidance on speeding enforcement. In a 40mph limit this is as follows Up to 45mph - no action. Between 46mph and 53mph - offer a course Between 54mph and 65mph - offer a fixed penalty Over 65mph - prosecution in court So you can see that 54mph should see you offered a fixed penalty. Three weeks is not overly long for a fixed penalty offer to arrive. As well as that, there has been Easter in that period which will have slowed things down a bit. However, I would suggest that if it gets to about two months from the offence date and you have still heard nohing, I would contact the ticket office for the area where you were stopped to see if anything has been sent to you. Of course this raises the danger that you might be "stirring the hornets' nest". But in all honesty, if the police have decided to take no action, you jogging their memory should not really influence them. The bigger danger, IMHO, is that your fixed penalty offer may have been sent but lost and if you do not respond it will lapse. This will see the police revert to option (3) above. Whilst there is a mechanism in these circumstances  to persuade the court to sentence you at the fixed penalty level (rather than in accordance with the normal guidelines which will see a harsher penalty), it relies on them believing you when you say you did not received an offer. In any case it is aggravation you could well do without so for the sake of a phone call, I'd enquire if it was me.  I think I've answered all your questions but if I can help further just let me know. Just a tip - if you are offered a fixed penalty be sure to submit your driving licence details as instructed. I've seen lots of instances where a driver has not done this. There will be no reminder and no second chance; your £100 will be refunded and the police will prosecute you through the courts.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Mindbomb -v- First Direct **BIG ONE WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patience is a virtue as well as an opera!!!

Actually it's an operetta!! But only if you're an opera snob which I'm not.

:p

FIRST DIRECT: £4751.86 SETTLED IN FULL 5/07/06 :-)

TESCO VISA CARD: £90 SETTLED IN FULL 12/08/06 :)

LLOYDS TSB: £4403.59 SETTLED IN FULL 17/08/06 :)

EGG: £451.52 SETTLED IN FULL 18/01/07 :)

Opinions and advice of kazzaw are independent, offered informally, without prejudice, without liability, and not endorsed by the Bank Action Group. If in any doubt, seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional.

That told her off for getting all 'big sisterly' on me!!

But then she is my big sister so I'll just shut up and get me coat! :grin:

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

Guest Mumofthreeboys

Operetta (literally, "little opera") (Google is your friend).

Mindbomb, a little less of the 'big' thanks.

Sorry older.

I'm not helping myself am I?

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

Letter received today.

That's twice now I've had a 'final response' and am inclined to start the money claim now as I feel I have been reasonable and they have declined to repay twice. Surely a judge (if it ever got that far) would see this as reasonable.

I have another account to claim charges for (some being older than 6 years) that would bring the total claim to £6127.

I would like to do a 'Molly', and would like to do it now.

Can anyone help me please?

Dear Mr Mindbomb,

Thank you for your letter dated 17 May 2006, addressed to Chris Broom. As mattersof this nature fall within my area of responsibility, I will respond.

Whilst I acknowledge your comments, the bank's final reponse was issued to you on 17 May, confirming that no charges will be refunded to your account. Therefore, I require your repayment proposals for your outstanding debt within the next seven days. Regrettably, failure to respond could lead to Final Demand being issued, a course of action I am keen to avoid.

I look forward to your prompt response.

Yours sincerely

Maureen Watson

Credit Services Customer relations.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

I'm planning on sending the following letter to FD informing them that I am now claiming back charges on an additional account which brings the total being claimed before interest and costs to £5923.

Is it reasonable to claim for another account at LBA stage?

Does it look OK to you?

FINAL LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBERS: xxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 19th May 2006.

The regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my accounts in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my accounts. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken a total of £5923 from the above mentioned accounts.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully by 28th May 2006 then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice.

Furthermore, I shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint to the Office of Fair Trading upon the basis that you have failed to comply with their direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a 'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit licence under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department.

May I remind you that you have until 28th May 2006 to repay these charges otherwise I will be instigating court proceedings without further notice.

Additionally if you enter a default notice against my credit record merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or as the result of impecuniosities caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you have applied unlawfully to my accounts I will pursue a claim under sections 7 and 13 of the Data Protection Act 1998 plus my costs without further notice.

Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

Yours faithfully,

Nemo me impune lacessit!

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

So common sense prevailed and I filed a moneyclaim for £4948.50 plus £855.31 interest plus costs of £120.00 on 23/05/06.

It was issued on the 24th and has been acknowledged today.

Will let you know what happens and look forward to making a donation in the near future. ;)

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Excellent! Maybe you'll consider a 5% donation when they've settled.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

I've just returned home and have a letter from our friends DG Solicitors!!!:rolleyes:

The usual guff about about how they'd win, management time etc. and for those commercial reasons alone they are prepared to make a payment of £5068.50 in full and final....

They also, reasonably, require my silence about this payment. (ooops, I just blew that!).

Bless them for trying but they forgot about the £855.31 in interest and the £1.09 a day on top of that.;)

So I will politely decline their kind offer and point them in the right direction.

Is it wrong to feel as smug as I do right now? :D

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give you money. :D

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Excellent news! When you do settle, remember to cross out their confidentiality clause before signing.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for the reminder - I most certainly will not agree to confidentiality (unless they want to pay for it).

I'm going to ask them how they intend to pay me seeing as they have all but closed my account with them (returned cards, cheque book etc.) and will invite them to reinstate the account immediately.

I can't demand they reinstate because it was not part of my moneyclaim but no harm in asking eh?

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Make sure that you make it clear that it is a request and not a demand. DEMANDING this may not be looked on too favourably...

• Confused 1

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

Very good point Monkey, thanks, I will do.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Evening all,

I faxed this to FD yesterday:

Re : Myself –v- HSBC Bank plc.

My reference : 6QZ33093

Dear Ms D’Aubney,

I am in receipt of your letter dated 1 June 2006.

I accept the sum of £5068.50 as partial settlement for my claim against First Direct. First Direct have neglected to include the sum of £855.31 in interest plus interest at the same rate of £1.09 per day to the date of judgement or earlier settlement.

I calculate the total sum due me is £ 5,937.98 as of today’s date.

I also requests details of how payment will be made.

Regards

Mindbomb

Not the best thing I've ever written but it had the desired effect as today, I received another letter.

Exactly the same as the last one (which is identical to Monkey's) except the amount has been revised to £5937.98 and tacked on to the end of the sentence 'blah blah...full and final' was 'which will be paid into your account within 7 days of receipt of your signed letter.

So it looks like they're not shutting the account just yet. I'll wait 'til it hits the account and then call them to ask about how I access my money in the absence of cards etc. (I can always do it by phone) in the hope they reissue cards etc.

I've crossed out the confidentiality bit, signed and dated it (6/6/6 how appropriate) and will fax this evening unless anyone can spot something I've missed.

Thanks for all the help (on this thread and all the others).

Nearly there

:D

Mindbomb

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Spot on mindbomb.

Dunno if youve spoken to Debbie D;Aubney at all, but I had cause to (I wouldn't recommend you do really though) but she was surprisingly a really nice, friendly woman!

--

Thanks Monkey,

You must have read my mind! I forgot to say that I did call Ms D'Aubney and got her voicemail. I left a message inviting her to call me or fax me - 'No answer', came the stern reply. I tried a couple more times and still got voicemail.

I agree with you though, her voicemail message did make it sound like she's nice but her number's 0121 455 2111 in case others don't believe us.

Not that I encourage people to call either. :D

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Just faxed it.

Will let you know what happens next.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Yesterday (8th May) phoned Debbie and left voicemail asking her to call me to confirm receipt of my acceptance fax. To my astonishment she did call back and confirmed she'd had it (the fax that is) and 'They are dealing with it'.

She really is very pleasant.

Phoned FD this morning to ask if any pending amounts going in. I was told there weren't and was asked what I was expecting.

On telling her (Beverly) she said she needed to call me back after speaking to a colleague. She called back and said it would be paid overnight Monday at the latest.

I took this opportunity to ask if my cards would be reissued at which point I was passed to one of her colleagues (nameless) who delicately tip-toed round the question with waffle and then stated Wednesday at latest for payment :rolleyes: .

I let him waffle on as I've agreed to the payment going in to my account which I will transfer immediately and don't really care if they reissue cards or not.

I expect a letter shortly after transfer informing me of account closure.

Worth a try though :D

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Oh I do hope so!

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Hello all,

After many phonecalls to FD I spoke to Lucy (of Credit services) yesterday to find out where my money was. (DG letter dated 05/06/06 states 'paid into your account within 7 days')

She was extremely helpful. She promised to 'walk over to the department' (Group legal), find out what was going on and call me back.

Lucy called back, apologised profusely, and said that Sam Farrell (sp?) of Group Legal had gone home for the day and she (Lucy) would call me in morning.

Lucy called again and apologised again 'that it had been misplaced whilst being passed on to another department for sanctioning'.

I am reliably informed by Lucy that my money will be paid in overnight tonight.

I'm not holding my breath!

:mad:

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Hello people,

I've just checked my account online and guess what???

They paid me my claim in full!!

I won, we won.

Woohoo

Nemo me impune lacessit!

WELL DONE!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Hope I get mine!! Reply to LBA received today. Moneyclaim time next week!!

FIRST DIRECT: £4751.86 SETTLED IN FULL 5/07/06 :-)

TESCO VISA CARD: £90 SETTLED IN FULL 12/08/06 :)

LLOYDS TSB: £4403.59 SETTLED IN FULL 17/08/06 :)

EGG: £451.52 SETTLED IN FULL 18/01/07 :)

Opinions and advice of kazzaw are independent, offered informally, without prejudice, without liability, and not endorsed by the Bank Action Group. If in any doubt, seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional.

Thanks very much.

Don't hope - KNOW!!!

Nemo me impune lacessit!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks