• Tweets

• I forgot to say, there is one last possibility and that is that they will receive your letter of rejection and simply fold, accept the rejection and refund you. Don't wait too long for this. Seven days maximum – but in that seven days you could send your letter of claim anyway and when that you don't hear from them or when they start mucking around at least you are seven days closer to beginning the legal action – and they will know it (which is the important thing).
    • Okay that is excellent that you have an email between the garage and the warranty company confirming that there is a serious problem with the gearbox. That is very powerful evidence. I think the situation is this: you have sent them a letter of rejection but the reputation of big motoring world is that they won't take a lot of notice and they will try to prevaricate and maybe even blame you. Clearly you don't want the car any more and anyway it sounds as if the cost of repairs is going to be enormous. You don't know if the warranty company is going to step up to the mark but the whole thing is going to take a long time and I understand that you have lost confidence in big motoring world because of this event and also their reputation which you are now discovering on Facebook and on this forum and no doubt elsewhere. On the basis that you don't want the car any more and you want your money back, you need to hurry things along. I think the first thing is that you need to decide if you are prepared to bring a claim in the County Court. Even without the warranty money, the claim is worth more than £10,000. For actions less than £10,000, you bring a "small claim" and this means that even if you lose the case you won't be liable for the other side's costs. If you win the case then not only will you get your money plus interest but also you will recover all of the costs of the action. For actions more than £10,000, you go to something called the "fast track" and in the event that you lose the case, then you could be liable to reimburse the winner some of the costs. This means that in addition to not recovering your own money, you would lose your own court fees and also you would have to to bear the costs of the other side probably something less than £5000 – but as a rough guess. If you bring your court claim then your chances of success are almost 100%. Frankly if you brought a court claim then I can imagine that big motoring world will put their hands up and pay you out rather than face go to court and losing and getting a judgement against them. However, it you need to consider that this is a risk factor – although my view it is a negligible risk factor. If you did bring a court case, it wouldn't be instant. If they put their hands up then it would probably happen very quickly. If they didn't put their hands up then you could take anything up to a year for the matter to be resolved and during that time you would be without your car and without your money and in the middle of litigation. I'm explaining this to you say that you understand how it works. Bring a court case would be really the last resort when everything else has failed. However, I'm quite certain that you would win and it would be stupid of big motoring world to try to resist. In order to bring a court case you would have to send a letter of claim giving them 14 days to accept rejection and organise the refund otherwise you would begin the claim. Don't imagine that you could bluff this. If you did send a letter of claim then you would have to go through with it otherwise you lose all credibility and you might as well pack up and go home. So with this in mind, here are possible courses of action you could take. You can simply wait and see what their reaction to your letter of rejection will be. However they may not reply or else they may find some other reason to delay and of course during that time you will be without your car and without your money blah blah blah, not knowing if big motoring world were going eventually to start acting sensibly and respectfully towards you. The second thing you can do – and I think this has been suggested on Facebook – is that you can go along there and simply make yourself present and talk to other customers and generally speaking make a nuisance of yourself and embarrass them to the point where you would be explaining to other potential customers to be careful, to look on Facebook, and to do some careful research before they put their business to big motoring world. This has a reasonable chance of success although you would have to be careful. You should go accompanied by a friend and there should be no anger, no arguments, nothing that could be considered as being overly aggressive so that big motoring world would have no justification in kicking you out or even worse, calling the police. If you did this, then I would suggest that you record everything on the telephone carried in a pocket. A fully charged battery will probably keep a voice recorder and a telephone going for more than 20 hours or 30 hours. The other person can video any incidents so that everything is clear and you can inform big motoring world then it will be going up on the Internet. If you did this, my favourite option would be to issue the letter of claim giving them 14 days, and then going along to big motoring world with a copy of your letter of rejection and a copy of the exchange between the mechanic and the warranty company and a copy of your letter of claim – all settled together – and probably about 20 or 30 copies in all and I would start handing them out to any customers who came in. Big motoring world will soon get the picture and they will either move your the premises in which case you stand outside and carry on doing it or they will finally give in. Of course there is a chance that they won't give in and they will simply call your bluff – but in that case I think you have no choice other than to follow through with your 14 day threat in the letter of claim and to begin the legal action. At the same time you should be putting up reviews on Google and also trust pilot explaining exactly what has happened and also explaining that the mechanic has confirmed to the warranty company that there is the serious problem, that you have asserted the right to reject and that this is been ignored by big motoring world and that you have now sent a letter of claim and that you will be starting a legal action in 14 days. Once again, don't bluff about the legal action. If you threaten it – then you must mean it – and on day 15 you click of the claim. You don't need a solicitor for any of this. It's all fairly straightforward and of course we will help you all the way that it the decision is yours to make and I think you need to make it fairly quickly. I think the cost of starting an action for about £13,000 is 5% and then also if it goes to trial which I would say is almost impossible – there would be an additional fee. You would claim interest at 8%. A judge might award a lower figure but frankly if you can show that big motoring world is attempting to ride roughshod over your very clear statutory consumer rights, I can imagine that the judge will want to show displeasure by awarding the full 8% which is a pretty good rate – even though it's not compensation for the hassle and the distress you are going through. If you decide to get solicitor, then if you win the case, because it is over £10,000 you will recover some of your costs but you won't recover all of them. If the solicitor begins by having exchanges of letters then I doubt whether you will be up to recover the cost of those and you could easily find that you're chalking up 500 quid or even a thousand simply on initial exchanges of correspondence. Also you need to bear in mind that if after having exchanges with a solicitor, big motoring world cave in – then you definitely won't get those costs back because you won't have gone to court and therefore a judge will not have made the order for payment of those costs. I suggest very strongly that you avoid paying any money for a solicitor and that you do it yourself. It's not a big deal – although you will have to you react quickly to the help we offer on this forum. Also, an additional benefit is that you will learn a lot and you will gain confidence and eventually you will feel good about suing anybody else who gets in your way. Nothing not to like! If you do decide to instruct a solicitor then you must take control of the solicitor. Most of them prefer to sit in an office writing letters on the clock. If you do decide to instruct a solicitor then you must instruct the solicitor very firmly that they should send one letter of complaint giving seven days. A second letter – a letter of claim giving 14 days and that they must then begin the action. If you don't do this. If you don't take control then it will simply cost you money, you will be without your car even longer and of course without your money. The whole thing is a nightmare. I think I've laid out the options but please do ask questions. I hope you can see that this is the kind of advice that you won't be getting on Facebook. Nothing against Facebook. It's good as a meeting place and to make people realise that they aren't on their own – but after that the advice given is weak and confusing.  
    • What makes you say that?  I have no idea how I would go about that or why they would even entertain discussions now that they've won the Court case
    • Our main Equity Partner, Cabot Square Capital invests 
    • Yes it’s the garage and warranty company. And then my husband forwarded me the email. 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DWP knocked me off ESA because i couldn't attend my medical

missy2006
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At least i had the bit of DLA to live on but what if you were not on DLA how are you supposed to feed yourself and heat your home.Iam still massively in debt to my family as the DLA i get didn't cover the outgoings i had to pay.

They would say that there wasn't anything preventing you claiming JSA only to without any doubt ending up getting sanctioned within a short period of time

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the last time i went to my local Jobcentre Plus the woman i saw stated i wasn't fit enough in her opinion to look for work so i couldn't claim JSA. Saying that if i did claim JSA what would happen to the backdated money they owe me would i have still got that or not.

"They stop peoples money when they want but when they have lost a case against you they don't rectify it"

here here.....and they don't rectify it quick enough but stop ya money quicktime!

btw you I assume have already rang em about being put BACK ON ESA why they not don't that YET? what they answer (I was only speaking about the back dated claim in my previous post with regards to being patient)

I have not phoned them yet i thought it would be automatic that i was put back on but ive not had anything from them regarding this. I have had a letter today regarding my backdated money, ive had to fill in a form with my details they need but nothing regarding being put back on my normal benefits.

I don't know if i should leave it to my local MP who is looking into it or ring them myself. Ive just this minute had a letter from my local MP as i was typing this who has forwarded my enquiries to the MP Liaison team for JCP and she will get back in touch when she receives their reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Well ive had a reply from the DWP saying im getting back on the benefit i was on but ive not had my backdated money yet, and today they have sent me a letter stating i have to have a medical in 2 weeks time. What happens if i go and they knock me off and i still haven't received my back-payments will i still get them.

Yes, you'll still get the backdated payments even if your next medical finds you fit for work.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I might be over thinking this but with me getting my local MP involved will this have hastened the DWP in making me go for a medical or am i just being paranoid.

Well, it's an understandable thing to think but no, getting your MP involved won't have hastened the process. When was your first medical, the one that you appealed against?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

It was the 10th May antone. My head is done in at the minute because I've just been charged £150 (£100 fine) from the NHS for dental treatment I thought I was exempt from paying.

You MUST defend that, is there anything on their letter to tell you how you can appeal?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It was the 10th May antone. My head is done in at the minute because ive just been charged £150 (£100 fine) from the NHS for dental treatment i thought i was exempt from paying.

Ah, right - that is quite a short time between medicals. Not unheard of, but certainly on the shorter side of normal, if you see what I mean.

And I agree with Bazooka Boo: you should appeal against the fine from the NHS. Since you were successful at the Tribunal, it's likely that you should have been entitled to free treatment and the fine should not have been imposed.

Hi missy2006.

Just came across your thread.

What a time you have had.

I will just try to find some information for you about dental appeals and anything connected.

As you have just said you are ringing the Welfare Rights people on Monday.

Just for others a link for the Welfare Rights people.

It is surprising how much money is unclaimed.

Welcome to Welfare Rights on the Net.

http://www.welfarerights.net/home.php

I would be ringing the DWP on Monday as well.

It is clearly time for you to receive some paperwork.

In your situation you can clearly pay no fine.

And without paperwork it is perhaps hard to appeal.

Some info,i will find more.I am on the site now.

NHS Dental Services

Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

http://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/selfnhsukokb/AskUs_Dental/template.do?name=What+documents+can+be+used+to+show+I+am+entitled+to+free+NHS+Dental+Treatment%3F&id=16180

Penalty Charge Appeals Process

This guide outlines the steps of the appeals process for NHS dental treatment penalty charges.

You can make an appeal when you think the penalty charge has been applied incorrectly and you

want us to review our decision

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/DentalServices/Documents/DentalServices/Appeals_Process_Patient_View-Final-27062014.pdf

Will pop back later today and see how you are.

You must be feeling tired of this by now.

But looking optimistically it sounds like you are nearly there now.

Thank goodness.

You have been through a lot in the last couple of years..I read your thread post by post.

Take care missy 2006 i will follow your thread

not being funny but with the appeals process I thought when it was overturned at tribunal you would be put in one of the ESA groups for a (quite long) period of time say for 1 year or 3 years depending on your health condition with no need for another medical in that period?

if someone has been found in favour at tribunal but failed there WCA due to points which is common they gotta go through the WCA MR then tribunal cycle again and again? it don't seem logical hence I thought at tribunal once put in one of the groups for a period of time (year or years) you don't have a medical or WCA within that time. unless obviously it was set for say a year then being backdated it may mean the WCA may be up again in 6 months

Hi missy 2006

Hope you are feeling ok this morning.

I read your thread through post by post and it is important to others who come this way to do the same.

Then you can see the full picture of what has happened,understand the situation fully.

Many people and the site team have posted information and support throughout the thread.

I fully understand how you must feel.

But hopefully this week surely the situation will be sorted out.

Best wishes and keep us updated when you make those phone calls tomorrow.

No harm in asking is there.

They are only ordinary people on the phone and surely themselves will be happy to help you.

Welfare rights and the DWP do you feel missy 2006 this is correct.Maybe the DWP first for a update.

And of course if you feel like it.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/DentalServices/Documents/DentalServices/Appeals_Process_Patient_View-Final-27062014.pdf

How to appeal

Write to us, explaining why you think the penalty charge has been applied incorrectly

Please send your written appeal to us via;

 Email: nhsbsa.dentalbecs@nhs.net

 Post: NHSBSA Appeals, PO Box 321, Darlington, DL98 1AL

Please note when you write to us, clearly indicate on your email/letter the word “Appeal”

Relieve some stress hopefully.

Bye for now.

Tawnyowl

No i went to the tribunal because the DWP took me off ESA because i did not attend the medical because i was bad in bed with my back, it wasn't because i didn't get the relevant points.

I completely forgot about that - my apologies, I know you did say this earlier in the thread.

In that case, it's not at all surprising that they've called you in for a WCA so soon. Annoying, yes, but not surprising.

• 2 weeks later...

Well ive just checked my bank and ive been paid my backdated money they owed me. Regarding the hassle with the dentists, i had to go to the DWP and they put on the form that i was on benefits at the time so i sent this off but ive not had any reply from them as yet. I hope they have received it because i only had 28 days before i incurred a further fine, maybe i should phone them up to see if they received it.

Well that is good news, as for being fined on top of the fine, forget it IMO, if the DWP have confirmed your were in receipt of social security, then it will wipe out the first 'fine'.

But if you want peace of mind, then by all means ring them, but ensure you don't get drawn in to any protracted discussion with them.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it just gets worse. today i had a call by the DWP stating ive been knocked off ESA the woman said my money stops from today along with my housing benefits, she didn't tell me if i got any points she just said they would send the letter out today. she also said i would have to sign on jobseekers and i said what's the point in that, the last time i went to the DWP they said i wasn't fit to get a job and she said there will be a job that you can do. i said i need a hip replacement she said still there will be a job you can do.

How can they leave people to try and survive on fresh air how are people supposed to feed themselves this country stinks and i cant wait till im out of it all.

Sorry i must of forgot to say i had to go for the dreaded medical on the 24th November 2015 and obviously i didn't receive the required points more than likely i got 0. The person i saw was a male nurse, can someone please explain to me what expertise does a nurse have to assess someone with mental health issues, how can they possibly have the expertise to assess anyone.

If someone goes to one of these medicals surely they must have someone who is an expert in these matters. You wouldn't let a GP to do an operation on someone so why do they let people with no expertise in mental health to assess someone and say they are fit for work.