• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Orge Vs Barclays/Woolwich Mortgage

orge

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had to draft one so my experience here is very limited.

First of all try looking through some of the success threads to get a general idea.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a letter from the local county court to say that the judge has asked for the case to be stayed 6 weeks whilst it is allocated to mediation (again).

Should I go along with this or ask for it to be transferred straight to court?

Also, if possible, I feel like it might be a good idea to raise a Part 18 request in regard to their costs in the interim. I was thinking of buying the Small Claims Book recommended on this site - are Part 18 requests covered?

Thanks,

J

Nothing to lose with the part 18 request, although it is highly unlikely they will comply. BUT it does show you are trying to resolve the situation :)

I would go along with mediation again. Objective = Keeping the judge sweet and showing you have been overly reasonable :)

I brought the most recent edition of the book, it is quite insightful.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 2 months later...
Had a letter from the local county court to say that the judge has asked for the case to be stayed 6 weeks whilst it is allocated to mediation (again).

Should I go along with this or ask for it to be transferred straight to court?

Also, if possible, I feel like it might be a good idea to raise a Part 18 request in regard to their costs in the interim. I was thinking of buying the Small Claims Book recommended on this site - are Part 18 requests covered?

Thanks,

J

I presume your claim has now been 'settled' and confidentiality applies ?

CPR 18 is not applicable to SCT Orge.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi,

The hearing is scheduled for mid November. Since my last update, Barclays have reiterated the low offer they made during mediation (

I'm just about to start working on my court bundle and the Part 18 request.

How about yours?

J

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Presently waiting for my case to be transferred to my 'local court' in the meantime Barclays solicitors have today asked me the following :-

''We are unclear on what basis you are claiming restitution and why specifically you have claimed interest at the rate of ?????''

Prior to mediation (never took place because i was on holiday) Barclays solicitors offered to settle without paying the restitution element (which makes up 90% of my claim.?} offer was rejected.

Looks like an increased offer to settle is in the 'pipeline' ?

• 3 weeks later...

Quick status update. Currently compiling my court bundle in preparation for submission before the end of the week. ;)

Slick has advised on content by supplying the standard template. I will be adding case summaries for Sempra Metals and to Kleinwort Benson.

Should I add anything about MCOB, even though it is does not appear to be formally covered as a result of the dates it was taken out?

Thanks,

James

I would ...let the court decide if its applicable or not...if not nothing lost.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Ok.

I'm struggling to find a good summary for Kleinwort and Sempra?

http://www.ucc.ie/law/restitution/archive/englcases/sempra.htm

I'm also a bit unsure on some of the acts - presumably the text needs to include the latest amendments? For example, would this be ok?

SOGA

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/29/data.pdf

Finally, I would have expected to flesh my POC out a little, but this isn't clear from the bundle outline?

J

The Sempra link is okay Orge...remember you only need the case name and number and the main points of judgment you rely and refer to...not the full transcript.

Same goes for the SOGA....but take a look at this link...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/29

The Sempra link is okay Orge...remember you only need the case name and number and the main points of judgment you rely and refer to...not the full transcript.

Same goes for the SOGA....but take a look at this link...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/29

Ok. Do I need to do the same for the utccr 1999/1977? The court bundle template I have been working from basically just dumped the whole text of these acts in at the back.

I think I'm getting a little confused about how this should look like when I am finished? Is there a good finished example you could point me at, even if it is for different type of case?

Thanks,

J

No completed examples to hand but here are some pointers for your bundle......

Bundles of documents for hearings or trial

Unless the court orders otherwise, the claimant must file the trial bundle not more than 7 days and not less than 3 days before the start of the trial.

Unless the court orders otherwise, the trial bundle should include a copy of:

(1) the claim form and all statements of case,

(2) a case summary and/or chronology where appropriate,

(3) requests for further information and responses to the requests,

(4) all witness statements to be relied on as evidence,

(5) any witness summaries,

(6) any notices of intention to rely on hearsay evidence under rule 32.2,

(7) any notices of intention to rely on evidence (such as a plan, photograph etc.) under rule 33.6 which is not –

(a) contained in a witness statement, affidavit or experts report,

(b) being given orally at trial,

© hearsay evidence under rule 33.2,

( any medical reports and responses to them,

(9) any experts’ reports and responses to them,

(10) any order giving directions as to the conduct of the trial, and

(11) any other necessary documents.

The originals of the documents contained in the trial bundle, together with copies of any other court orders should be available at the trial.

The preparation and production of the trial bundle, even where it is delegated to another person, is the responsibility of the legal representative5 who has conduct of the claim on behalf of the claimant.

The trial bundle should be paginated (continuously) throughout, and indexed with a description of each document and the page number. Where the total number of pages is more than 100, numbered dividers should be placed at intervals between groups of documents.

The bundle should normally be contained in a ring binder or lever arch file. Where more than one bundle is supplied, they should be clearly distinguishable, for example, by different colours or letters. If there are numerous bundles, a core bundle should be prepared containing the core documents essential to the proceedings, with references to the supplementary documents in the other bundles.

For convenience, experts’ reports may be contained in a separate bundle and cross referenced in the main bundle.

If a document to be included in the trial bundle is illegible, a typed copy should be included in the bundle next to it, suitably cross-referenced.

The contents of the trial bundle should be agreed where possible. The parties should also agree where possible:

(1) that the documents contained in the bundle are authentic even if not disclosed under Part 31, and

(2) that documents in the bundle may be treated as evidence of the facts stated in them even if a notice under the Civil Evidence Act 1995 has not been served.

Where it is not possible to agree the contents of the bundle, a summary of the points on which the parties are unable to agree should be included.

The party filing the trial bundle should supply identical bundles to all the parties to the proceedings and for the use of the witnesses.

Thanks.

Just to let you know that I received Barclays Defence today. Pretty standard stuff:

2 witness statements - 1 on behalf of Barclays for supply of statements/T's & C's, 1 from MAB.

Deny unfairness of charges.

Deny that statute of limitations should be extended

Deny that restitutionary interest is applicable

I can do full text later on today, if required?

Thanks,

J

Hi,

Just putting finishing touches to my bundle before submission today. Would greatly appreciate if somebody could take a look over the attached witness statement. Main things to focus on are:

• Details relating to Bank Charges and how these tie in with a Mortgage - possibly some of this is extraneous?
  • UTCCR
  • MCOB
  • Statute of Limtations - Does this need another section?
  • Interest in Restitution - Again, does this require another section?

Thanks,

J

Did you write that whole WS up yourself or use that of similar cases as a template/inspiration? It's very impressive! I can't help you on your questions, but I'll certainly be using many of your points when I finally get around to taking on my bank for a tidy sum in £25 unauthorised overdraft charges and interest.

Sham

Did you write that whole WS up yourself or use that of similar cases as a template/inspiration? It's very impressive! I can't help you on your questions, but I'll certainly be using many of your points when I finally get around to taking on my bank for a tidy sum in £25 unauthorised overdraft charges and interest.

Sham

Thanks! Glad to hear it reads ok. :)

It's based around a couple of templates for lloyds and abbey credit cards. I'll put some links up when get a moment.

J

Thanks! Glad to hear it reads ok. :)

It's based around a couple of templates for lloyds and abbey credit cards. I'll put some links up when get a moment.

J

I didn't read it all, if I'm being totally honest, but read about halfway and then left it at that - I'll go back to it when I have time as it was very interesting. It made perfect sense to me and could see where it was heading.

Out of interest, as you've mentioned credit cards - how does that so-called landmark ruling over the £12 default charges that seem to be accepted as fair affect any challenge to these charges made by banks? I'm guessing this is something you researched in the course of your claim here.

Sham

I had a credit card case with Barclays before this. Most of the charges were over in excess of £12 but there were some at the £12 level. I claimed for everything plus interest in restitution:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?110700-Orge-vs-BC-**WON**-chgs-repaid-with-compound-int-t-and-CRA-data-removed-(probably)

Since the OFT ruling, bank accounts are more difficult/less successful than credit cards (fwiw, I haven't bothered with mine).

However, it all depends on the institution you are claiming from and the individual circumstances of your claim. Best thing is to start a thread asap.

Hope that helps,

J

Will read it shortly Orge and come back to your points in post #92

I had a credit card case with Barclays before this. Most of the charges were over in excess of £12 but there were some at the £12 level. I claimed for everything plus interest in restitution:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?110700-Orge-vs-BC-**WON**-chgs-repaid-with-compound-int-t-and-CRA-data-removed-(probably)

Since the OFT ruling, bank accounts are more difficult/less successful than credit cards (fwiw, I haven't bothered with mine).

However, it all depends on the institution you are claiming from and the individual circumstances of your claim. Best thing is to start a thread asap.

Hope that helps,

J

What difference does the fact that it's a current account rather than a credit card make?

Cheers!

Sham

P.S. It would be HSBC - I've got previous correspondence with them regarding a complaint about the £25 charges (without going into specific details) and their attitude was apathetic to say the least. It would a good starting point for any claim I guess.

P.P.S. Sorry to hijack your thread. This is my last mention of anything unrelated to your case.