• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wessex Water Court Action Claim Form Received **CLAIM WITHDRAWN**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The claiments claim is for charges fixed in pursuant to the Water Industry Act 1991 in respect of charges for water services supplied as previously billed and due up to todays date. The total amount due from the defendant is set out alongside.

The amounts owing to your water services provider have been legally assigned to the claimant and you were previously given notice of this.

Amount Claimed = 1752

Court Fee = 105

Solicitors costd = 80

Total amount = 1936

thanks

1. The claimant is estopped.
  2. The claimant is an agent or department of the water supplier.
  3. The assignment of the alleged debt to the claimant is accompanied by all of the liabilities and responsibilities of the alleged debt.
  4. The water services provider - Wessex Water***correct name***) by their negligence and in breach of the water services contract with the defendant failed to bill for water for approximately three years from **month** year to **month*** year.
  5. When their failure was realised, the water supplier sent a large bill for £***** to the defendant
  6. The defendant, unable to pay such a large sum discussed the problem with the supplier who agreed to accept installments of £*** per month.
  7. The defendant, in good faith made the installments regularly and without fail and when in ***month year *** the supplier asked for an increase in the installments, the defendant complied.
  8. There has been no break or problem with the installments.
  9. The installments are at the limit of what the defendant is able to afford.
  10. The defendant has acted in good faith throughout and has relied upon the water supplier's promise to accept installments.
  11. The defendant is an unwitting victim of the water supplier's negligent handling of the water supply account.
  12. The water supplier has now reneged on their promise to accept installments.

The defendant will apply to add the water supplier to the action as a part 20 defendant for the purposes of the following counterclaim

Counterclaim

1. The part 20 defendant has conducted the defendant's account negligently and in breach of their contractual duty in that they failed to bill for water during XXXperiod to period**
  2. As a result of the breach, the defendant has suffered serious difficulty and inconvenience.
  3. The defendant claims damages compensation not exceeding £100 in the discretion of the court.

It's a bit rambling - but it will do.

Frankly I think that you want to avoid all of this if you can because it is a huge waste of time.

File this defence and counterclaim - if you are satisfied that it represents the truth. Then we'll work out a letter to them and point out that they are being stupid and that you will withdraw your counterclaim if they will behave themselves.

By the way, read up on estoppel and on part 20 so that you know what you are getting into

Another couple of questions to add from me.

From your POC:

The amounts owing to your water services provider have been legally assigned to the claimant and you were previously given notice of this.
Are you being taken to court by a debt collector? If so, have been paying your installments to Wessex or this debt collector?

I can certainly see a CPR request for the alleged assignment and the account history to determine the sums owing.

You could use the CPR request to obtain information, however it is unlikely you will receive anything. It has been suggested that you use a DSAR (Subject Access Request) if this does end up in court, then the information you obtain from that could be very useful.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request

It will cost you £10.00 - needs to be sent to Wessex Water (their head office/registered office address). They have 40 calendar days in which to comply and they should provide all data in connection with your history with them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

the claimant is Bristol Wessex Billing Services Limited and if it helps the case then I will apply for a CPR, many thanks Bandit

I was looking at both last night thank you Bank Fodder

we will send it off today thank you Citizenb

Acknowledgement has been done as of the 16/11/2014

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning CAG,

A bit of good news they have written to us and said they have withdrawn the claim and we are to continue with our current agreement, do I still file the defence as I have had no notice from the courts as of yet or should I trust them and use their letter against them should anything go wrong, sorry for the delay in contacting CAG but so busy working, thanks

Have you not filed the defence yet?

I would not trust them – simply because of their inability to act efficiently.

It costs you nothing to file the defence and counterclaim, so I would do that immediately.

If the claim really is withdrawn then no damage is done. If the claim is not withdrawn then you have protected yourself from the possibility of a default judgement.

Morning Bankfodder, I am a bit stuck on the counter claim section of MCOL can you advise if I am to fill out this section I am guessing I do and pay the fee:

"If your claim is for a specific sum of money, how much are you claiming?" is it £100 if so this cost £25

"My claim is for (please specify nature of claim in a maximum of 76 characters, including spaces). Do I put this? "The defendant will apply to add the water supplier to the action as a part 20 defendant for the purposes of the following counterclaim" if so this is over 76 characters long.

"What are your reasons for making the counterclaim?(Please state your counterclaim in a maximum of 4000 characters) " and this is my counter claim.

Counterclaim

The part 20 defendant has conducted the defendant's account negligently and in breach of their contractual duty in that they failed to bill for water during Feb 2009 to March 2012

As a result of the breach, the defendant has suffered serious difficulty and inconvenience.

The defendant claims damages compensation not exceeding £100 in the discretion of the court.

thanks Bankfodder, I will be back soon need to take daughter to dentist

I didn't know that there was a fee for a counterclaim. If there is a fee – then forget the counterclaim just put in the defence – unless you want to make your own claim against them. I suggest that you at least put in a defence in order to cover yourself because you can't rely on these companies to do what they say they going to do. If you end up getting a default judgement despite their letter then it will take a load of time and trouble trying to undo it.

• Confused 1