Am I right in thinking landlords the deductions from my deposit are unreasonable?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I moved out of a property which I had rented for two years around a month ago.

I kept it in really good condition but there were three minor damages including a burn on the carpet off some curling tongues, a small stain on one carpet and water damage to the bathroom cabinet door.

To add to this, the landlord went on holiday whilst we were moving out and booked new tenants to move in the day after we left. As a goodwill gesture to try and ensure an easy return of deposit, i had the house professionally cleaned including the carpets which cost me £150. Usually the landlord would inspect the property first then have it professionally cleaned themselves!.

I've just been on hols for two weeks and in that time, the landlord promised the deposit would be returned, it has only been returned today and she has made deductions of £325!

Just to clarify the water damage, one of the MDF doors under the sink has been slightly wedged open by a box in the cupboard and over the two years, water has obviously dripped down and caused the top of it wear away. Again, very minor and the rest of the doors is fine!

Shes trying to charge me £125 for the new door, £150 for a new carpet and £50 to remove the carpet stain.

I am a reasonable person and said that i would agree to £100 being knocked off for all 3 which i think is fair. I cannot be expected to replace a whole carpet that has been in the property for years for one small burn when she could easily use a small square of carpet and should i even be expected to replace a bathroom cabinet door that was damaged by water?!

I have photos of all three pieces of damage.

Another point worth mentioning, in the two years i lived there, the boiler broke down probably once per month and i was left with no hot water for days at a time on a number of occasions. The french doors also broke ad she left them unlocked and unfixed for 6 months. Whilst i certainly complained about both of these, i never knocked money off the rent or anything like that.

Any advice appreciated!

No, your thinking is wrong, as we do not have access to move in/out inventories, however you admit...

1 small stain (wine?) in one carpet not FWT

2 carpet burn in another, caused by your curling tongs not FWT

3 kitchen base unit door water damage due to ajar being ajar by contents for duration of your T

LL can charge for prof replacement/repai/labourr based on age & expected lifespan. He certainly does not have to patch with a carpet square,

If your deposit was protected in approved scheme , then raise ADR dispute and let LL justify his deductions.

well if you admit you caused some of the damage then yes you have to pay for it to be put right, less an allowance for fair wear and tear.

i.e. replacing damaged carpet would be cost of original carpet/fitting, less wear and tear for age. ( carpets usually 6-8 years life depends where and use of course ). not new price or betterment; like for like.

TDS is an insurance based scheme; where the LL or Agent keeps the actual deposit amount; and it is insured, so if anything happens you can get your deposit back via the scheme. (i.e. LL wont give it back or makes unjust claims and the like ) but you have to go through their ADR route or of course you can just sue the LL!

Custodial scheme DPS is where the deposit is actually paid into the scheme and they hold it until you leave (LL has no access to it, unless they make a claim and it is resolved )

In all schemes any undisputed amount MUST be paid to tenant within 10 days of leaving property, but of course you must tell them that you have left!

OK well she took nearly a month to pay it back and kept making excuses as to why it wasn't paid...her laptop was broken for a week apparently (of course it was).

The deposit company have told me i need to speak to CAB or a solicitor, is that right? Can they not get involved? So i actually have to sue her!?