• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PCN code 01 just a little advise please.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2106 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,

my hubby parked on our road at night when returning from work as there were no parking spaces in the 2/3 roads surrounding our house he parked outside the school on our road which has the yellow zigzags and single yellow line.

we live in a controlled zone so have a permit for the road, now i'll pay this as he's on a single yellow line so is definitely a contravention but i'm just curious that as he has a permit for this particular road then can i park there or not (i'm thinking you can't park there even though it's school holidays), or could i appeal to the council on the grounds that even though they have recently turned the local area into a controlled zone we are unable to find parking hence why he was parked on the yellow line in the first place.

any help is much appreciated but i'm guessing this is a pointless battle and i should just pay up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post is a little confusing.

Was the car on a zigzag, or a single yellow line?

If a single yellow, was it parked there during the hours the yellow line is in force (which usually isn't the case overnight)?

The part about him having a permit and you parking there is impossible to answer. It is the vehicle which needs the permit, not a particular driver. You or anyone can park a car there if it has a valid permit on it.

Appealing on the basis of there being a lack of spaces won't work.

i thought i was quite clear, car parked on both zig zag and yellow lines in a controlled zone for which we have a permit (which was displayed in the windscreen), but not in a bay. parked over night and given ticket in the morning which is a controlled day.

it was a genuine mistake on my husbands part as he didn't realise there was a single yellow there and thought as it was school holidays he can park there.

do i have any chance of appeal or should i just pay it, also i'm not planning to appeal on the lack of parking spaces i was just making a point the recent introduction of restrictions has not eased the parking problems. i'm guessing there's no point in appealing but was going to go along the lines of

this was a genuine mistake as we live on the road and when i came home from work at X time there was no parking and due to it being school holidays i wrongly assumed it would be ok to park on the yellow zig zags but didn't notice the single yellow running through it too. as you can tell i have a permit for this area and also live on the same road so i would appreciate if you could use your discretion and cancel this PCN.

i'm guessing there's no harm in trying.

The yellow line and zig zags are independant of each other. The yellow line will be at all times the CPZ hours operate. the zig zags at the time/days on the sign next to them which should say no stopping. If there is no zig zag sign then the yellow line will still operate.

zig zags have a 9-5 mon-fri sign thats what my hubby read and parked as it's a saturday, but really he should have known that the single yellow was still enforceable.

So sample appeal

dear sir os madam,

i recieved a PCN on saturday 09/08/2014 for vehicle X, as i was parked mistakenly on a single yellow line but i was unaware of this as i returned home from work at X time and after driving about a few times could not find any parking within a bay and saw the sign outside the school which stated no parking Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. as it was friday night i assumed it was safe to park there and it is school holidays also. in the morning when i returned to my car i saw the attached PCN and at that point became aware that the single yellow line existed and was in effect on a saturday too.

i would highly appreciate if you could put this down to simple human error as i live on said road and hold a valid permit for the vehicle which was displayed at the time of the contravention and had sufficent parking been available in the area i would not have parked there in the first place.

quite simply i got it wrong but i'd appreciate if this PCN was cancelled on sympathetic grounds as i will not be making the same mistake again.

thank you, your help is much appreciated

thank you jamberson I'll get to writing that speak then no harm in trying as I'll still retain the reduced penalty price.

just wondering if I should change sympathetic to compassionate or not.

If its in a CPZ they are meant to put a seperate time plate on the syl to avoid confusion such as this.

I live in London and I'm sure that the ruling in London is that they don't need to have a plate for single or double yellow lines. please advise me if I'm wrong.

• 1 month later...

I've lost in the informal appeal not sure if I should go to the formal appeal or just pay up. I do feel it's misleading to have a sign that makes you think it's ok to park there but it seems kind of risky as i don't know what'll happen at adjudication as I'm sure I'll fail the formal appeal sends the council don't actually read your appeals anyway so the appeals are just a formality.

any idea how to word this appeal though? they've more or less gone along the line that i was parked on a single yellow line therefore i'm guilty and have to pay, they haven't mentioned the school zig zags at all nor conceded (which i didn't think they would anyway) that the signage can cause confusion. i can't find my rejection letter but as soon as i do i'll type it up and let you know exactly what they've said.

also letter was typed up on the 19th but i didn't receive until the 23rd and they say i have to take action within 14 days of date of letter which seems unfair as i've already lost 5 days before even receiving the letter.

council letter

thank you for writing to us. we have carefully considered what you say but have decided not to cancel your penalty charge notice.

you were given a PCN for parking on a single yellow line at a time when you were not allowed to park there. single yellow lines mean no parking, except to load or unload. however the CEO watched your vehicle and saw no loading or unloading taking place.

the rule applies during the times shown on the sign. the signs governing the syl are not always nearby. inside a controlled zone, the information may be on controlled zone signs instead. controlled zone signs are like border crossing signs: you will have passed one as you entered the zone.

parking pressure is high, especially in areas where there are schools, blocks of flats, households with more than one car, or shops that people drive to. so although i understand the difficulties you had trying to find somewhere to park, you still have to obey the parking rules.

you can view photographic evidence online at .....

i can at least see that they've read my appeal somewhat but have completely overlooked the point i made that hubby was parked on the more obvious zig zag lines and that the massive time plate said mon-fri 8am-5pm which is why hubby assumed it was ok to park there.

thank you green and mean for finding that for me.

can I just point out that the cpz sign is only about 6 meters away from the school sign would that still be an acceptable appeal?

really appreciate all the help the people on this site give.

I live on the same road though lol, gonna be kind of hard to say to an adjudicator that iI didn't know it was in a cpz( hubby really didn't know though that he couldn't park there due to the sign posted without another syl sign)

I guess my only defence is that we were unaware that the sign was just for the school markings and not for the syl and we believe the sign should either me removed or a sign added to indicate that the syl has ddifferent restrictions.

it's so much more annoying getting a PCN on the road you live on.

thank you once again green and mean for your input I really do appreciate it.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/traffic-signs-manual/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-03.pd

page 79

However, it

would be helpful to drivers to provide a sign (except

where the restriction is no waiting at any time) as a

reminder that waiting restrictions apply during times

when the prohibition of stopping does not. The sign

could be co-located with diagram 642.2A. This also

applies within a controlled parking zone, where

upright signs are normally dispensed with (see para

12.2).

I can't seem to view the link by the way is just the same as what's written?

so how do I phrase this appeal?

dear sir or madam I was recently served a PCN for parking on a single yellowline during restricted hour's. I'd like to challenge this as I was parked on school entrance markings with a board stating that the restricted hour's were mon-fri 8am-5pm. as there was no separate time plate indicating that there was a different restriction for the single yellow line I parked there assuming it was safe to do so.

in my opinion it is not clear to me as a driver that there is a separate restriction on the single yellow line even though it is in a controlled zone and had a separate time plate indicating the single yellow line times of restrictions been in place I would not have parked there.

would add the traffic signs manual bit here? If you could help I'd really appreciate it as I'm really unsure how tho word this appeal correctly.

so this is my appeal, should i reference the patas case or not?

Dear sir/madam,

I recently received a PCN for parking on a single yellow line during hours of restriction. I would like to appeal this as I was parked on school entrance markings which were clearly signed as NO STOPPING, MON-FRI 8AM-5PM,as I was parking on a Friday evening which was not restricted by the sign I assumed it was safe to do so as there was no separate time plate for the single yellow line indicating different operational hours. In my opinion there should be a separate sign plate indicating the restrictions of the single yellow line so as to be very clear to drivers that even though stopping is allowed waiting or parking is not due to the CPZ.

I would also like to bring your attention to the TRAFFIC SIGNS MANUAL CHAPTER 3, PAGE 79, SECTION 9.17 which states:

However it would be helpful to drivers to provide a sign (except where the restriction is no waiting at any time) as a reminder that waiting restrictions apply during times when the prohibition of stopping does not. The sign could be co-located with diagram 642.2A. this also applies within a controlled parking zone where upright signs are normally dispensed with (see para 12.2)

I would hope that you will agree that there was a degree of confusion which is why the car was parked during restricted hours, had a clear sign been placed stating the restrictions clearly then I would not be arguing this case and would have paid or rather not have parked there in the first place.

I would like to request that you use your discretion and allow my appeal as this was a genuine misunderstanding and one which I am in no way in a rush to repeat.

Kind regards…

your input is highly appreciated, thank you

• 1 month later...

so my formal appeal was declined too, what should one write in the PATAS form, I'm kind of at a loss as they haven't referred to the PATAS case or the traffic signs manual chapter. I can type up the rejection letter if anyone wishes to read it.

a copy of the letter they sent, i would have taken a picture but i smashed the screen on my phone yesterday :|

we have carefully considered what you say but we have decided not to cancel your penalty charge notice.

you were given a PCN for parking on a single yellow line at a time when you were not allowed to park there. you were allowed to park to unload but the CEO watched your vehicle and saw no loading or unloading taking place.

the vehicle was parked on a yellow line within CPZ, where the restricted times were 8am-6:30pm monday to saturday, as the vehicle was parked at 8:26, this resulted in a PCN being served.

Here are the main rules about yellow lines:

yellow lines mean no parking except to load or unload. for double yellow lines, the rule applies 24 hours a day, seven days a week. for single yellow lines, the rule applies during the times shown on the sign.

the signs governing SYL are not always nearby. inside a CPZ the information may be on a CPZ sign instead. CPZ signs are like border crossing signs: you will have passed one as you entered the zone.

yellow stripes on the kerb mean that you are not allowed to park, even to load or unload, at certain times. a double kerb stripe means the rule appleis 24/7. a single kerb stripe means the rule applies some of the time (the sign shows the times). if no days are shown on the sign the rule applies 7 days a week.

so what should i write to PATAS?

i would like to appeal first and foremost on the grounds that i believe the signage was misleading which caused my husband to park there in the first place. due to a lack of SYL sign he did not realise that additional restrictions were in force also. i would like to also point out that i believe that the council has acted vexatiously as they have ignored the questions i have asked in my formal appeal and have just reiterated what they wrote in the first rejection letter. they have not explained why they have chosen to ignore government guidelines on signage, or the fact that there was even a school restriction sign there which could have caused the confusion. it as if they have not read my appeal and have just carried on with you were on a SYL so you must pay. they haven't tried to understand the situation behind why the car was parked there which was due to misleading signage. thank you i hope you will understand my point.

that's what ive come up with but i'm not that happy with it if i'm honest i've written better in the past but my head seems to be empty.

second try...

I would like to make an appeal first and foremost on the grounds that i believe the signage was misleading as there was a school markings sign saying no parking MON-FRI 8am-5pm as my husband parked there on saturday at 3am on his way back from work he looked at the signage available and thought it was safe to do so, he did not realise that the SYL had different time restrictions as there was no signage in the area nor on the same pole to indicate otherwise. Also it being 3am he didn't actually notice the SYL due to it being dark. the signage to indicate the school markings is large and easily visible to motorists and on it's own without further signage in the immediate vicinity is rather misleading in my opinion. as the the government guidelines themselves state: TRAFFIC SIGNS MANUAL CHAPTER 3, PAGE 79, SECTION 9.17 which states:

However it would be helpful to drivers to provide a sign (except where the restriction is no waiting at any time) as a reminder that waiting restrictions apply during times when the prohibition of stopping does not. The sign could be co-located with diagram 642.2A. this also applies within a controlled parking zone where upright signs are normally dispensed with (see para 12.2)

furthermore i think the council are acting vexatiously as they have replied to my appeals in a very standard manner just reiterating what they wrote in the first rejection notice without commenting or even acknowledging the fact that there is a school sign there. not once do they mention it in either letters nor do they comment on why they felt there was no need for additional signage as my whole appeal rests on lack of misleading signage. instead they have just given me the standard response of this is what a SYL is for and what the regulations are that govern it.

also previous PATAS cases have been won on the same basis of lack of signage as an example is PATAS case 2110111533 in which the adjudicator states:The Appellant parked his vehicle at a location where there are two types of restriction in force: the no stopping prohibition applying to the school entrance markings during the times indicated on the sign; and the underlying no waiting restriction indicated by the presence of a single yellow lone. The sign relied on by the appellant applies to the zig zag markings only, not to the yellow line whose operational hours are ( according to the Council, but there seems no reason to doubt it) indicated by Controlled Zone signage located at the boundary of the Zone in question - which might well be some distance away.

This case is a classic example of the confusion that very often arises when a length of carriageway is at some times subject to a school entrance restriction and at other times subject to a standard waiting restriction. There is nothing unlawful about such an arrangement; indeed it is not at all uncommon. However what can so easily happen is that the motorist's attention is drawn to the very large school entrance sign which the motorist then assumes is the only restriction in force. The effect of the underlying single yellow line is easily overlooked particularly where, as in this case, the line is not plated because it is within a controlled parking zone.

I am firmly of the view that a Council that wishes to operate this combination of restrictions must ensure that they are indicated clearly and correctly. The latest edition (2008) of Chapter 3 of the Traffic Signs Manual specifically deals with this situation at paragraph 9.17:-

"Where both the KEEP CLEAR marking and the mandatory sign to diagram 642.2A are used on a road that is subject to a prohibition of waiting the latter should be independently signed, with the yellow line to diagram 1017 or 1018 running behind the KEEP CLEAR marking ...As waiting restriction signs are spaced at approximately 60 m intervals...it is possible there might not be such a sign alongside the KEEP CLEAR marking. However it would be helpful to drivers to provide a sign (except where the restriction is no waiting at any time ) as a reminder that waiting restrictions apply during the period when the prohibition of stopping does not. The sign could be co-located with diagram 642.2A. This also applies within a controlled parking zone where upright signs are normally dispensed with..." ( emphasis added)

The Traffic Signs Manual is not law as such. However it is very detailed official guidance from the Department for Transport and I take the view that where issues of clarity of signage arise a failure by a Council to follow its recommendations (particularly one as specific and pertinent as the one set out above) places on them a heavy evidential burden to demonstrate that despite the non-compliance the signage is nevertheless clear. In the present case I am not satisfied that it is; and in my view this is a case where, CPZ or no, for clarity a time plate is required on the same post as the school entrance sign The Appeal is therefore allowed.