• Tweets

• Bookmakers use betting on political events to entice new customers, and say it is growing.View the full article
    • nope  and  neither dx
    • Ok Thank you DX will do just that . will keep you up dated.
    • dispute it with whichever cra provider is now showing it. simply state the a/c is from 2015 and was defaulted (date) and should not have re appeared. probably getting ready to sell it on. dx
    • Hi Caught Shoplifting at John Lewis - Retail loss Prevention/Other shoplifting allegations. - Consumer Action Group Thanks a lot for commenting this experience of yours. I do understand this might be something that you are not willing to talk about anymore but the same exact scenario happened with me today at John Lewis. They took my name/ address/ a picture of me holding a signed banned letter. the only questions I've got are... will I be contacted by the police will this be recorded as police caution or criminal record?  I would really really appreciate if you could let me know how it went.  I am so so so ashamed of myself and am really making changes in my life I feel like I've lost myself for a period of my life but anyways it would be really great to hear back. Thanks 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

non refundable deposit on a wedding venue?!

Svenaldo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I was wondering if anybody had a similar experience having really bad wedding venue hosts.

The hosts of our initially selected venue were unbelievably unresponsive, unhelpful and did not communicate in an appropriate manner.

Their response time was totally unreasonable and in my opinion quite frankly unacceptable. We didn't have our wedding there in the end and are happy to have cancelled just in time.

The main problem now is, £2k Deposit Lost.

To share a few points briefly:

* It took them 3 months to confirm any kind of drinks prices.

* We waited 6 weeks for food prices. We expressed on many occasions how important it was for us to have a full costing from the hosts to enable us to send our invitations out.

* We never received a full written catering cost. Not even 3 months after signing the contract.

* After waiting 6 weeks for food prices the kids menu prices were forgotten

* We wrote an email cancelling our contract which wasn't acknowledged until 2 weeks later when they saw that I made a Facebook Page and Web Site to make other people aware.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Newton-House-Weddings-Reviews/742778199077366

http://www.newtonhouseweddingsreview.co.uk/

We know of other couples going through a similar drama. Here are some quotes of them:

- Paid the deposit, it was agreed that we could bring in our own caterers, so we went ahead and booked and then they turned around and said they didn't agree that. We had a meeting with them to discuss the situation, which ended in them losing their temper and acting unprofessionally. Not an atmosphere we want for a wedding, but if we turn them down for their unprofessional behaviour, we'll lose our deposit.

- We have also been concerned about the time taken to get answers

- They have ruined everything, changed the goal posts, lied, and increased prices or threatened to not provide the food!!! We've had to pay another £400 this evening in fact!

Surely those guys can be stopped somehow! It's not about my money. We just want to stop those hosts destroying other people's wedding day!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Sven

Hi Sven

Welcome to CAG

You need to concentrate on getting your money back, the 'warnings to others can wait'. Have you got emails/letters regards the poor service that you've received from them?

What do they say in their Terms & Conditions regarding cancellations?

Hello Rebel11

Thanks for your promts answer.

We have email history which shows how long they take answering but to chase I always called them. So I don't really have 'chaser emails'. The emails also show how vague their answers to us are and that you can't get a clear costing out of them.

Their Tc&Cs are only in their favour.

1. TERMS & CONDITIONS

1.1 All bookings of Newton House Wedding Venue are subject to the following terms and conditions and unless otherwise agreed by Newton House Wedding Venue in writing they override any terms stipulated by the person making the booking (“the Client”) and any previous agreement or understanding.

2. Deposits & Payments

2.1 The completed and signed booking form should be accompanied by a non-returnable deposit of £1500. The balance of the venue hire fee will be paid in instalments on or before the following dates: 11th April, 2014 - £1,000, 11th July, 2014 - £1000, 11th August, 2014 - £500.

2.2 All invoices are payable in full within 7 days by the Client.

7. Cancellation 7.1 If the Client wishes to cancel the booking the Client must notify Newton House Wedding Venue in writing and the cancellation takes effect only from the date such notification is received by Newton House Wedding Venue.

7.1.1 In the event of the booking being cancelled the deposit will be retained by Newton House Wedding Venue together with all advance payments made up to the date the event is cancelled and if the Event is cancelled less than 28 days before the event payment of the total amount payable for the Event will be required.

7.2 Newton House Wedding Venue may cancel the booking at any time by notice in writing to the Client if:

7.2.1 the Client is 14 days in arrears with any payment hereunder

7.2.2 the Client is in breach of any of the these terms and conditions

7.2.3 if the booking is cancelled in accordance with these provisions Newton House Wedding Venue may retain any deposit or other advance payments made by way of a cancellation charge.

7.3 Newton House Wedding Venue may cancel this Agreement at any time by notice to the Client if:

7.3.1 Newton House Wedding Venue believes that the Event will or is likely to be of an undesirable nature or and that may damage the reputation of Newton House Wedding Venue. If the booking is cancelled in accordance with these provisions the deposit will be retained by Newton House Wedding Venue

7.4 Newton House Wedding Venue or part of it is closed due to fire, flooding, repair, remedial decoration, dispute, and alteration or by order of a public authority or any reason beyond Newton House Wedding Venue’s control in which event it will refund to the Client any advance payment but will otherwise be under no liability to the Client.

8. Variation

8.1 No variation of this Agreement is binding on Newton House Wedding Venue unless in writing signed by both parties.

11.2 If due to circumstances beyond the control of Newton House Wedding Venue, it is necessary to make any changes in the arrangements relating to the Event, Newton House Wedding Venue shall notify the Client as soon as possible. Newton House Wedding Venue reserves the right to make such changes but will endeavour to keep them at a minimum. In the event that Newton House Wedding Venue makes a material change to the arrangements for the Event, the Client will have the right to terminate this agreement by written notice to Newton House Wedding Venue within five days of the Client being notified of the proposed change, in which event Newton House Wedding Venue will refund to the Client all advance payments made prior to termination but will otherwise be under no liability to the Client.

Some legal advisor from work wrote me this sentence before:

* Contract Clauses 2.1 and 7.1.1 (regarding retention of the deposit) of Newton House terms and conditions are unfair because they are one sided and in favor of Newton House only and the term was not individually negotiated (The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 Schedule 2 clause 1(d)).

I think you could bring a small claim against them for breach of contract. You should write a letter before action first. You could say (1) there is an implied contract term that they would liaise with you in a reasonable time frame in order to arrange the wedding and (2) they are in breach of their obligation to provide their service with reasonable care and skill contrary to section 13 Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

There is a guide here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?356814-The-Process-of-Litigation..-Court-Claims-Defences and here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?343540-How-to-issue-a-claim-in-the-new-County-Court-Money-Claims-Centre.

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations argument is possible, but the concept of a non-refundable deposit does not strike me as 'unfair'. They would say its fair because they need to stop people cancelling at the last moment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I think you could bring a small claim against them for breach of contract. ...

There is a guide here

Hi steampowered

Thanks for your help and the guide! Much appreciated!

How did you pay?

Keep all communication in writing, don't speak to them over the phone.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/supply-of-goods-and-services-act-1982

Hi Rebel

Paid by bank transfer. Wish it would have been credit card.

Oh don't worry I wouldn't talk with him anymore anyway.

You paid £2000 without knowing the full price of drinks and food!?!?!?

What if they immediately responded with a £20 charge per pint and £300 per meal?

You would have gone somewhere else and lost the deposit anyway.

Sorry to be real, but you shouldn't have parted with any money before knowing the full cost of the wedding.