• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

NATWEST BANK - CCJ - Bryan Carter & Co.

SHERLOCK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Didn't want a letter in six months starting this all over again.

SHERLOCK

Thunderpuss2k seemed to be saying something like that happened to him - wonder if he could shed some more light. Otherwise would have thought this unlikely unless a DCA buys the debt off them. Banks obviously operate on much slimmer margins than credit card companies so try to avoid legally writing debts off (even when they know they're noncollectable) to massage their profit figures. One wonders what kind of garbage is really lurking on their balance sheets

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian cognito

You need to hang onto the paperwork, put it somewhere safe and leave it there. I had all mine for around 15 years then shredded it a couple of years ago and kicking myself now.

I would just sit back and see what they turn up, if anything, I doubt they would have withdrawn if they had the evidence they needed so either they n longer have the original stuff or the debt is made up mostly of charges which they know you will be claiming back. Either way, you have to end up the winner?

ultimately that would be great, although not my initial reason for this action.

I thank you all for your advice and may it be still forthcoming.

I will have to see what S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) brings I guess.

Did PM Thunderpuss as that is whom I got the original response, not heard back yet, has been a while?

Keep you all posted as to next step, problem is sometimes you get TOO many scenarios and not sure which to take?? :confused:

Were Bryan Carter issuing a claim for the full balance of the debt, or only part of it?

An odd question I know, but I've seen a number of cases recently where Equidebt / Bryan Carter have been chasing the arrears of a debt only, yet have issued a CCJ for the arrears. Largely Citifinancial debts in the cases I've seen, but I'm wondering if this is a tactic they're trying more widely.

By issuing a claim for the arrears alone, they are mis-using the County Court process, and I'm wondering if this was the situation in your case, and they've bottled it when it looked like they'd be challenged over this highly dubious practice?

That I can only answer when I get the statements, BUT as I am aware this was around the amount they applied for in the previous court claim (of which I did not contest, as I didn't know my rights..THANK YOU CAG!!) and as I said before I/we cannot recollect if the alleged amount was an overdraft or loan or combination of both and the account has been closed since god knows when and the only letters I got were from BC&CO.

Nothing would be beyond the creditors as people are now finding out, but they are feeling the heat thats for sure and are having to do everything by the book now that we are questioning their moves.

SHERLOCK

Were Bryan Carter issuing a claim for the full balance of the debt, or only part of it?

An odd question I know, but I've seen a number of cases recently where Equidebt / Bryan Carter have been chasing the arrears of a debt only, yet have issued a CCJ for the arrears. Largely Citifinancial debts in the cases I've seen, but I'm wondering if this is a tactic they're trying more widely.

By issuing a claim for the arrears alone, they are mis-using the County Court process, and I'm wondering if this was the situation in your case, and they've bottled it when it looked like they'd be challenged over this highly dubious practice?

See my thread HERE

I'm fairly positive that this is the full amount, maybe they are doing this recently, not sure how long your claims go back.

THEY DID PULL THE CLAIM SO DIDN'T EVEN GET THEIR COSTS.

This is 10 years old!!

SHERLOCK

• 2 weeks later...

I do have within my DMP a template that requires the creditor to provide details of your indebtidness to themselves.........nature of agreement, is borrowing secured, balance outstanding etc.

Was wondering if this would be useful should Natwest not be forthcoming with CCA/DPA Requests ( NOWT RECEIVED YET!!)

I do have within my DMP a template that requires the creditor to provide details of your indebtidness to themselves.........nature of agreement, is borrowing secured, balance outstanding etc.

Was wondering if this would be useful should NatWest not be forthcoming with CCA/Data Protection Act Requests ( NOWT RECEIVED YET!!)

Sorry to jump into this thread, but I am in a similar albeit not identical situation with NatWest. They have started proceedings against me (see my thread Overdraft on joint account) and I am trying to stand my ground a bit so they can't walk over me completely.

I have sent them SAR (no reply so far) and the letter template within this thread you have used for Additional Information request. That is dated 23.12. and I have given them 21 days, so deadline to supply true signed copies expires this Saturday. They replied to this request for info letter today saying they got my letter and they have forwarded my request to the relevant departments. See what happens. I am surprised that they start proceedings against someone without having the necessary evidence at hand in their court proceedings file. Maybe they assume people will just admit to the debt and that's it. Their reasoning is totally beyond me anyway, but never mind.

But as you have been down a similar road any help would be of immense help

Phoned CAB today and just got an answering service they are closed for training purposes. Great

Will start writing my defence over the next couple of days, but ANY help would be of so much use !!!

Whilst replying to Nicole it reminded me of a thread I read whereby people are claiming for the extra interest paid on mortgages/loans when there is a ccj/default on your file and they successfully get them removed.

Just a thought, as BC&Co. placed this ccj on my file previously (I didn't defend), if they cannot produce the agreement and/or the account was all or mostly charges ( I presume this would have been the case when the first ccj was applied, does this still make it unenforceable and thus unlawful?) can I reclaim the charges plus the extra interest paid.

Any thoughts welcome,

SHERLOCK

• 2 weeks later...
can I reclaim the charges plus the extra interest paid.

Any thoughts welcome,

SHERLOCK

this is what I am claiming against Cabot and I have a meeting with them and the judge next week to discuss.

I am claiming for damages caused by increased interest rate on my mortgage. Once this has settled I plan on asking why I shouldn't get all payments back as they are in breech of CCA and DPA.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

• 2 months later...

Hi Sherlock,

As N/W have filed a Notice of Discontinuance, it means they cannot file any further claim against you on substantially the same facts, so you cannot be pursued for the debt under any circumstances. If the matter was sold to a 3rd party, that would be entirely unlawful because the NOD means that they have given up all rights to pursue you for the debt.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Laiste.:)

• Haha 1

Thank you, that clarification was just what I need :D

N/W and/or BC&Co obviously left me to figure this out!!

One more question, in your opinion should I pursue any charges reclaim or let it lie?

I'm assuming, maybe wrong, the previous CCJ they obtained was done without these facts also, but was on my credit file when taking out my previous mortgage/credit.

The alleged debt is 10 years old and I think it was a combined loan/overdraft.

Laugh, just a little, not 2 hours after replying to Laiste's thread guess what falls through the letterbox....................you guessed it...........

Robinson Way & Co, Natwest.....same account number, different amount (£500 less) - Formal Demand for payment, dated 25/03/07.

States 'this problem will not go away or be forgotten' :o

Laiste, I think they are questioning your post!! :rolleyes:

Next course of action please :confused:

SHERLOCK

Hi Sherlock,

My words were obviously prophetic! LOL I would let R&W write and telephone you to their hearts content. Keep all correspondence, make a note of all tel calls from them answered or not. If you do pick up the phone, simply state you don't deal with financial matters over the phone and due to Data Protection issues, you have no way of verifying who they are and hang up, making sure to get the caller's full name at the start of the call. Do not get into any discussion whatsoever about this matter being discontinued.

Personally, I would let this continue for about six months, then slap them with a County Court claim for unlawful harassment and unlawful processing of your personal information under the DPA 1998. I am certain we will be able to add to the list of offences by then....!:D

At the same time I would also slap N/W with a claim for the charges you mentioned as well as passing the matter unlawfully to a DCA for collection, harassment, disclosing your personal information without any contractual/legal basis for doing so, in contravention of the DPA 1998 and probably other matters as well, when I've had a think about it!

I believe in giving these organisations enough rope to hang themselves, sit back and watch your case against R&W and N/W build itself!

Hope this helps!

Immensely helpful, thank you.

I changed my number long ago and do not get calls, maybe I should let R&W have it ;) .Thinking of getting a 0870 no.

Thanks again, I would love to see records of charges from Natwest, they haven't answered my S.A.R. - YET

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

Received second letter from RW&Co. giving notice of intended court action, valid even if not read by you!!!!

TAKE NOTICE that documents are being prepared for the issue of proceedings etc!!!!

Is this a standard letter? Thanks

I am thinking along the lines of letting this go to court and counterclaim for the same amount they are requesting, is this viable?.....I have no record of payments made and they haven't been supplied!

Sherlock

• 2 weeks later...

RW & Co. at it again, 3rd letter in a month!! is that harassment?

Immediate action required blah, blah.

This account will not be closed, but will stay registered as an unpaid debt in your name. This will adversely affect your credit rating. (please, go ahead, exactly what and where they are registering though would be deemed totally unlawful, would it not?)

sherlock

Hi Sherlock,

Their correspondence does amount to harassment. RW&Co are lightweights to be honest, it is extremely unlikely that this organisation will file a claim at Court. The parts of letters you have quoted are all standard fayre from them. It might be these jokers that don't have a licence to process data under the DPA1998, can't remember off the top of my head. Don't use that bit of info now. If it does indeed turn out to be correct when a claim is filed, that would spell really big trouble for the idiots!:D

If a claim is filed you should definitely file a counter-claim, which may even exceed what they are asking for, not simply equal it! We can get into all the relevant issues to be raised in a claim, if and when that happens, it would take too long to go through now!

This is entirely up to you but if you gave them your tel number, it would strengthen your case for harassment as they would definitely make use of it! I suppose it depends really on whether you fancy playing games with them and laying the trap so to speak....!;) I wouldn't recommend it for those who can't confidently deal with these Companies, but if you have a sadistic streak.......;)

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nothing exciting, Another R&W Letter. :mad:

other half wondering why I don't call them to explain!!

Well I prefer not to, this 'alleged' debt amount is 10 yrs old now and I still don't recall amounts and/or type of account and Nasty have supplied me with nowt.

SIT TIGHT AND WAIT :p