Jump to content

I had to quit my job, will I continue getting housing benefit?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3489 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi, i'm an EEA national who has been living in the UK for 4 years. After being unemployed for almost two years I finally got a job, a part time one but with good perspectives of going on full time soon. Unfortunstely after the first week I was basically left with no choice other than to quit, I will not go into details now but I felt threatened and afraid for my personal security after that one week on the job and didn't feel I could do it. After speaking about this with my manager he did not leave me any options so I was forced to quit.


This was almost two weeks ago, I have been frantically interviewing for other jobs and I think I may get another job next week, although it may be another part time job again, but I am looking for either one full time job or two part time jobs, so if I got this one part time job next week I would still be looking for more work.


Recently because of me starting work I had to report a change of circumstances to my local council and had my housing benefit suspended for almost four weeks, until they reassessed my claim based on all the new information I gave them about my new job and pay. They gave me housing benefit again, at a lower rate of course, and are asking me for my upcoming payslip from the new job. I have to send them this info within a month or my benefit will be stopped.


I still haven't told them I have quit my job, as I'm quite afraid they will stop my benefit if I do, and also because I would have to do all the paperwork again and have my benefit stopped and then once again when I find my new job, and I'm trying to just do it all at once when I find the new job. I'm hoping to find a job, any job, any hours, asap so I can tell them about a new change of circumstances and at the same time tell them about having quit the other job and give them the payslip they wanted, although it will be for one week of work only.


I don't know if I may be doing things wrong though. Should I tell them anyway about me having quit the job even before I get the new one? And sill they suspend my housing benefit if I do so? Will I continue to receive housing benefit?


Thank you all in advance for any help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike the DWP, your local authority (Council) should not penalise you for leaving a job. Notify them first thing Monday that you now have zero income and they should reinstate housing and council tax benefits - It may take a few days to get things sorted from their end.


As and when you find a new job, don't forget to notify the council of another change in circumstances.


Tip: You do not need to do this before you actually start work - The rules state changes should be notified within a reasonable period. Seven to fourteen days is generally accepted as being a reasonable period.





No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based upon the information you have supplied, you should notify the Council straight away as you will be receiving the wrong rate of Housing Benefit.


If you delay in notifying changes, you could end up: -

  1. losing any additional benefit if you are being underpaid
  2. having to repay money if you are being overpaid
  3. having to pay an additional penalty for late notification of a relevant change

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to inform your Local Authority straight away, and, unless you have passed the 'right to reside' test, you are now an EEA national who is economically inactive, and therefore not entitled to Housing Benefit - unless you are actively seeking work or in work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...