• Tweets

• or go really bold ... Further to my request for a copy of the agreement you refer to on ( date) I made a section 78 request pursuant to the Credit Consumer Act 1974 to which you have yet to reply or respond. Pursuant to the Credit Consumer act 1974 section 78 (6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)— (a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.
    • Pers I'd stop paying the lot and get each defaulted by a dn issuance.  Defaults can't hurt future renting no Only ccj's Can't keep saying the same answers.    Dx        
    • Ok thank you. That’s where we are getting confused, as we’re not sure where we stand legally. But we’re still unsure who we should be going to now, the dealer or the finance company? I’m assuming the evidence we have (the reports from Mercedes) showing that the fault was there when we purchased would be sufficient to prove this? To be honest we would prefer to send the car back completely as are now concerned more problems may arise.
    • No no - I would complain via the CEO and Directors Office.     They sorted it in less than 24 hours for me. Complaint closed and compo issued.    Sam P 
    • Hi, Thanks a lot for your valuable advice and apologies for bit delay in providing some additional information as requested before. I was also looking at other threads to get some more knowledge, apologies if my questions have already been answered in some other threads and I have missed them. I would appreciate if you can guide to relevant thread to help navigate easily. If I opt to go down the route of availing BS option, I'd find it more convenient if I do it in parts i.e., applying with 2/3 creditors at a time. Is that even possible in my case? I understand that DN might be the best option for me but I am trying to avoid this route as much as I can. I am currently living in a rented property with wife and 3 kids and I am not how this is going to play out in future if we decide to move to some other area. How will DN impact my intention of getting house on mortgage (dream as of today) after 6 years? If I go for DN strainght away, do I have to do it for all debts? for example, can i leave one active credit card out of this DN? what can i do if I go for DN right now but my financial situation improves in 1-2 years due to better job or promotion etc.?  Here are the details of my debts. Let me know please if you have any questions. Regards, MM Overdraft Halifax - £2,500 Starling - £500 (I can settle this immediately to keep this account active as back-up for salary and other priority expenses like rent, council tax etc.)   Personal Loans - Outstanding Amounts - No defaults or missed payments Plata - approx. £27,000 BetterBorrow - £3,450 Zopa - £14,000 Reevo - £2,800 Updraft - £2,230   Credit Card - Balances - No defaults or missed payments except those noted Virgin - £6,100 (This card is suspended.) Halifax - £5,474 (This card is suspended.) Barclays - £5,400 (I am currently on a fixed monthly payment plan of £232 for almost a year now and missed last month's payment.) Aqua - £3,100 Fluid - £2,100  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Customer issued court proceedings against us (small family run garage)

Emz0305
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If not, get upto the court and ask them to strike it out, you could write a letter and ask them to use their initiative to strike out or make an application/order yourself (but this will cost, but its all money you could claim back off other side).

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If not, get upto the court and ask them to strike it out, you could write a letter and ask them to use their initiative to strike out or make an application/order yourself (but this will cost, but its all money you could claim back off other side).

It could turn up in today or tomorrow's post yet so will see

Hiya, POC turned up in today's post. Still not sure they're right though. The statement of truth is a separate document to the POC, so the POC has just been signed and dated but does not carry an actual 'Statement of Truth'.

The statement of truth enclosed is a few pages long, and he's also enclosed another threatening letter which he writes in an aggressive tone, basically saying if what's owed isn't paid now, it will be a lot more when he win's the case.

Should I just scan the lot up for you to have a nosey at? I'll remove all the ID in paint first.

Mike, do you still want me to scan a copy of the latest order?

The statement of truth enclosed is a few pages long, and he's also enclosed another threatening letter which he writes in an aggressive tone, basically saying if what's owed isn't paid now, it will be a lot more when he win's the case.

lol a settlement offer as well as the particulars! I'm shocked... :)

lol a settlement offer as well as the particulars! I'm shocked... :)

It's not the offer of a settlement that I'm bothered about, it's the tone in which it's wrote just like all the other correspondence from him, oh and I've just noticed that he's changed his story in this most recent statement by saying he repaired the vehicle along with his mechanic friends, but in his first statement he sent though, he states that with the guidance of his mechanic friends he repaired the vehicle by himself. His statement is full of non truths and this proves how quick he changes his story

Hi Emz

Yes, please post the content of the order and the particulars........... it's important to concentrate on the issues at the crux of the case and not be drawn into arguments which would/should have no bearing on the case

I've scanned everything apart from another document that was enclosed, Mechanical Data and Facts. Takes me ages to remove all the personal identifying text and it's another 4 pages long.

Hmmm all he needed to do was put on his original particulars:

‘[i believe][the (claimant or as may be) believes] that the facts stated in this [name document being verified] are true.’

and then sign it.

The original particulars, whilst now signed, still do not have a statement of truth. The second document I'm not sure about. The Court may give him some leeway and accept this as particulars with a statement of truth.

With regards to the differences between the first and second particulars it could get interesting. Part 17 of the CPR deals with amendments to the statement of case. He can amend his statement of case any time before service or with the permission of the court after service.

Question is - are particulars served without a signed statement of truth, truly served? I'm not sure they are in all honesty...

Ok, I'm none the wiser lol

I'll wait for a few more people to look over it.

As for changing a statement, surely if it was a statement of truth it wouldn't change? As the truth always remains the same. To state in his first statement he repaired the car himself, then to later change and say he assisted the repair, surely makes him out to be a liar, but I'm no judge or lawyer so not sure how they would look at that.

What a load of twaddle.

He is obvioulsy rather confused about the Statement of Truth, the SOT is supposed to be just one line at the bottom of the Statement of Case or Witness Statement saying "Statement of Truth

I andydd of xxxx,xxx,xxx believe that the all facts stated above are true.

andydd: Dated

As mentioned above, you could well argue that he still hasnt given you a proper POC, Im not sure that the POC is signed in the proper way as required by see CPR 22.2 > http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part22), the court can strike it out and also his "Statement of Truth" (in reality this is his Statement of Case or Witness Statement is not signed at all.

I'd also argue that his claim does not give rise to a legal right to claim any money, it should say something like "Due to the actions of the XX Garage, I have suffered a loss and claim damages of £xxx", it doesnt really say that, it just waffles, now the impoirtant bit, where is the evidence ?. It mentions "Mechanical Data and facts", where is this ?. Without some sort of expert report I wouldnt rate his chances to highly !

God knows what hes going on about in the additional letter, more waffling and vague threats...what is this letter, the Statement of Case (or as he calls it 'Truth') has been served, you can add or amend it but it needs another hearing and will cost him.

Id be very tempted to go for a Summary Judgement BUT this is suppossed to be done earlier, normally pre-allocation and does have costs risks.

So have a look at CPR 3.4, this gives the court power to strike out whole or parts of a case, Id'd be tempted to use this, (but it would mean yet another application) asking them to strike out all or at least some parts of his case for various reasons, not signed or not signed as per CPR, giving no actual legal basis for his claim, no realistic basis for the amount he is asking for, no asking court for permission to use an expert (if he does indeed get the Renualt report) and Im sure there are other reasons we could find.

Also have a look at the Practise Direction regarding wording of Statements of Truth. > http://www.justice.gov.uk/pre-trash-archive/civ-proc-rules-old/_old/pd_part22#IDALBUJC he really hasnt complied with them at all.

Here is a quick guide to CPR 3.4 strike outs > http://uk.practicallaw.com/1-204-3083?service=ld

I think you may have to play the long game and defend on what you understand of the claim. Probably best to pick through the bones of the docs he's served and try to construct your response by reference to each document and para number. Most of the waffle really doesn't require much beyond including reference to each paragraph within your defence... For example you could state something along the lines of:

1. Paragraphs 5 - 10 of document marked xx are denied, the claimant has failed to particularise the loss alleged to have taken place. It is further denied that any such alleged loss constitutes any actionable cause by the claimant.

I suppose you could apply to strike out, its already allocated to the small claim track so costs shouldn't be an issue if you fail... Alternatively, ask the court to strike out of its own motion within your defence, at some stage the court will have to read the papers prior to serving directions.

'The defendant contends that parts of the claim should be struck out for failure to demonstrate or state any grounds capable of success at trial, alternatively the court is invited to summarily dismiss the claim of its own motion pursuant to CPR3.4(2) for failing to demonstrate any prospects of success at trial'

See what I mean about him ranting on?

I can upload the mechanical data and facts document if you want Andy.

I'm really going to struggle with this, I have less than 14 days to get a defence in and it's totally battering my head. I haven't a clue where to start?

One of my dads very good customers has offered to help with the defence, she works for a law firm so understands it all more than me. Maybe I should let her take over?

You can just ignore the ranting and in fact prob about 80% of it, court documents should be short, clear and concise and based on the facts only, they are NOT suppossed to be ranting like a schoolchild and I doubt a Judge would be impressed, if this was on a fast track, it would be thrown out instantly..but Judges do give leeway on small track and to LiP's and dont expect the docs to be perfect.

Yes..If you could post the mechanical data one as surely that may contain some evidence as I fail to see anythinbg in the other docs that could constitute a claim.

Mike's post above "1. Paragraphs 5 - 10 of document marked xx are denied, the claimant has failed to particularise the loss alleged to have taken place. It is further denied that any such alleged loss constitutes any actionable cause by the claimant. " is great and pretty much somes it all up, he just hasnt clearly spelt out what loss he claiming (in the POC it mentions £110 but doesnt say anything about a loss or why the garage is responsible and in the added on letter it mentions all solrts of other sums that appear to be plucked from the air).

Let me read through them again and Ill post up some thoughts.

If it were me I'd write to the court now (ahead of your defence) asking them to strike it out or at least parts of it out.

Use something like Mike's comment above -[ "'The defendant contends that parts of the claim should be struck out for failure to demonstrate or state any grounds capable of success at trial, alternatively the court is invited to summarily dismiss the claim of its own motion pursuant to CPR3.4(2) for failing to demonstrate any prospects of success at trial'"

But I'd also add that the following should be struck out:-

POC should be struck out because it does not containg a Statement of Truth as required by Practise Direction 22 2.1 > http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part22/pd_part22#2.1 , it also does not contain "It is further denied that any such alleged loss constitutes any actionable cause by the claimant. "

Again the so-called Statement of Truth (he means Case) should be struck out for the same reason, its nit-picking a bit but the signed bit does NOT conform to pd 22 2.1

The 'extra' letter, this also doesnt comply it doesnt even mention Statement of Truth and should be struck out.

So you are asking that all three of his documents be struck out either all together or individually as they are not signed correctly and as a whole "the claimant has failed to particularise the loss alleged to have taken place. It is further denied that any such alleged loss constitutes any actionable cause by the claimant. " - to nicks Mike's quote.

So what you would be doing is for the court to use its initiative under CPR 3.4 to strike all/or parts of the claim out, there would be no cost for this, if the court doesnt use its own motion you could then apply to do it, but I guess there would be a cost for this (£45 or so).

I'd recommend writing asking that the court strike it all/or parts of out under cpr 3.4, if nothing happens and it goes to trial, no less, I cant see that the other side has any hope.

Andy here is the Mechanical Data and facts and I've also attached the photographs. The physical evidence that he mentions will probably be a box with a few nuts and bolts and the fan belt.

My dad has said that if what the claimant is saying was correct, and the tensioner was mis-aligned, it would become apparent very quickly certainly not 6 months later. After the initial repair, the alignment was checked and the car was left to run and was found to be running true.

Its strange that he said the rattle stopped several weeks later, maybe he took my dads advice and looked on the forums and repaired it himself with the help of his mechanic friends.

I got it wrong about the letter that I scanned up, it came with the same post but in a separate envelope, so not in the same envelope as the statement of truth and POC. Do you think that he's also sent a copy of this to the court? Should they have a copy of all of his correspondence even pre court action?

We've quickly thrown this together. Wasn't sure if it was supposed to be done as a witness statement so I've composed it as that for the time being. If you could have a look and let me know what you think so far and if I've missed anything or put anything that isn't required. I may have rattled on a bit too. Also, have I got the CPR rule layout's correct? Wouldn't want to get those wrong.

I won't be able to get to a printer now until tomorrow morning so have plenty of time to get this right, then will have a bit more time to compile a defence should this not be successful.

Emz

Not sure that writing to the court is going to work, can't imagine anyone looking at the papers until it has sight of your defence and considers directions.......... even then you may have to attend a prelim to help the judge understand what the claimant is chuntering on about. You could certainly make an application to the court to address the content of his 'particulars' and ask that sanctions be applied should he fail to adequately plead his case......... or carry on constructing your defence and bring these matters to the courts notice within it

Emz

Not sure that writing to the court is going to work, can't imagine anyone looking at the papers until it has sight of your defence and considers directions.......... even then you may have to attend a prelim to help the judge understand what the claimant is chuntering on about. You could certainly make an application to the court to address the content of his 'particulars' and ask that sanctions be applied should he fail to adequately plead his case......... or carry on constructing your defence and bring these matters to the courts notice within it

Right ok, well maybe I should just get on with the defence then. Not a clue where to start though. Do I have to defend each paragraph that's stated in the particulars of claim? Or do I compile a defence based on everyhing, his statement of truth, his mechanical data facts etc?? How do I set it out? How much detail do I go into or should it be kept very simple and to the point? Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know what I'm doing lol

Hi Emz

Respond to each paragraph, try looking at a few at a time and breaking it down into bite sized chunks.......... where you can specifically deny an allegation do so and include reference to any other paragraphs which would naturally fall to be denied putting him to strict proof of each issue.

Keep each paragraph fairly concise and to the point

1. Paragraph 1 is admitted, the defendant undertook fixed cost repairs of £110.00 on the instruction of the claimant

2. .............

You could include a paragraph at the header of your defence contending that his failure to adequately plead has resulted in assumptions being made as to the issues at the crux of the case.