Can you record a conversation between you and a store manager

tippytoppy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quick question,

I am just having a battle with currys/pc world now on the phone a senior advisor said we dont ever missel our service agreements and all staff are trained to outline our services.

Could i speak to the store manager/staff and record the conversation?

is this aloud?

It's a complex area of law, but it comes up from time to time on the Benefits forum where I normally post. The conclusions that have been reached are basically these:

• You may record a phone or face-to-face conversation without the consent of the other party
  • This should be strictly for your own future reference
  • If you wished to use the recording in any legal proceedings, its admissibility would be up to the judge
  • And please, for the love of all that's holy, don't post the recording online or otherwise make it public. If you did that, the Data Protection Act would become relevant, and you'd have breached it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• You may record a phone or face-to-face conversation without the consent of the other party
  • If you wished to use the recording in any legal proceedings, its admissibility would be up to the judge

If you record a face-to-face conversation outside of your own premises, you do not need the consent of the other party - However, if permission to record is denied, it could then becomes a matter of "trespass" and it is possible (probable) that you would be instructed to leave. The other party could insist on the recording being deleted or attempt to confiscate the recording device - They have no legal authority to delete recordings, tamper with the equipment, or confiscate anything.

Although recordings may not be admissible evidence, transcripts of the conversations could be presented, and then it is up to the judge to rule.

The relevant acts to be familiar with are:

• Data Protection Act 1998 - Covers processing and retention of data.
  • Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 - Primarily covers interception of post and public telephone systems. Makes provision for an individual to record their own conversations.
  • Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights - Only applicable to public bodies monitoring private communications. Mentioned because some misinformed individuals think it covers any/every thing.

In a nutshell, you can record your own telephone conversations without consent of the other party and you do not need to inform them. You can also record face-to-face conversations in a store, but do not be surprised if you get told to leave.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

silly question but what is recording a current conversation going to prove about a past conversation

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

silly question but what is recording a current conversation going to prove about a past conversation

I suppose simply that if someone has screwed you over in the past, you might want to protect yourself against the possibility that they may do so again in the future.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.