tax credit letter help please

idiotmother77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter from the tax credit Preston office today regarding my award 2013 - 2014 as a single person. I have to admit that I have been claiming as a single person and deserve to feel the utter dread I am feeling now . It has advised they have info that shows there may be another adult living here and names him. It says I should have claimed as couple. I know they get this info from credit ref agencies, electoral role etc.

It states if I can explain why I did single claim to call otherwise please send documents requested - statements, rental agreement, council tax bill, utility bills etc to preston office by feb 20th.

My question is, do I send the stuff or send a letter to disclose what has happened first?

I have read other threads on here where people have confessed but just wondered if anyone had sent the documents aswell.

Any advice is much appreciated, I am going crazy but trying to stay calm as it doesnt help and making me physically sick. I know I have done wrong. :-(

How long has the claim been running? I would be completely honest as to when you started living together. They could choose to look at any years you were claiming. That how it works in other HMRC departments, the open an enquiry into one year and if they find an error they can go back further.

Penalties occasionally happen but very very rarely and generally not if you admit it.

My letter was for 2011-2012, TCO closed my claim wef 2011 which meant that 2012-2013 was also included in the overpayment. When I called about mine they said they were only interested in the year stated in the letter so only give them the info they require for 2012-2013, they will ask if they want anything else.