• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SCOOP....Up to date news stories about bailiffs, debt, universal credit, and much more.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I forgot to update this thread, In relation to my post number 321, after publishing details on the forum I am pleased to hear that Newlyn had returned the car to the debtor. A formal complaint had been made to the LGO (which has been rejected) so it is pleasing to hear that the car is now back.

Great that the car is back, obnoxious that it trook so long Newlyn will now be even more bold and dsaring wiyth seizures no doubt,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great that the car is back, obnoxious that it trook so long Newlyn will now be even more bold and dsaring wiyth seizures no doubt,

I have actually seen a copy of the complaint made to the LGO and a full copy of their initial response and final one. It is fair to say (and the vehicle owner would share my view on this I am sure).......there has certainly been a confusing 'history' to the 'ownership' of this vehicle!!

The bailiffs using spy cameras to snatch cars off the street for minor traffic fines

This is how bothered the police were about Lambeth council and Equita's £700 ransom......

"
The police operator told me this was now a ‘civil matter’ and the police would be unable to help me recover my car. He simply gave me the phone number for a debt recovery company called Equita Ltd....

The bailiffs using spy cameras to snatch cars off the street for minor traffic fines

This is how bothered the police were about Lambeth council and Equita's £700 ransom......

"
The police operator told me this was now a ‘civil matter’ and the police would be unable to help me recover my car. He simply gave me the phone number for a debt recovery company called Equita Ltd....

It had already gone for auction so if she had waited a day or so more it would have been sold.

Bailiffs should not be allowed to use ANPR, the MET CUBO and Whyte & Co parking Mad debacle is clear evidence of that fact

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2728458/The-bailiffs-using-spy-cameras-snatch-cars-street-minor-traffic-fines.html

I have made reference a number of times on the main forum that I responded personally to the joint Consultation paper regarding ANPR and CCTV issued earlier this year. We do know that following the Consultation major changes are to be imposed regarding CCTV and the present position is that with regards to the use of ANPR for enforcement of an unpaid road traffic debt we are waiting for more news. I am passionately against the use of ANPR and have been a major critic for a very long time.

There is a error in the story in the second sentence. The lady confirmed in the article that she had paid Equita over the telephone and then attended to auctioneers premises (General Auctions) to collect her car.

In the 2nd sentence she incorrectly stated that she attended the auction premises to"

"buy back my car from an auctioneer who had, in turn, purchased it from bailiffs".

There needs to be a massive crackdown on the use of ANPR equipment, not just by the civil enforcement industry and the likes of NSL and VEAS, who carry out enforcement for DVLA, but law enforcement agencies also. All too often, innocent motorists are wrongfully arrested and/or suffer the unlawful seizure of their vehicle due to data on police ANPR systems being out-of-date or inaccurate. It is futile for ACPO and the motor insurance industry to beat their chests and bang on about disrupting criminals and keeping uninsured motorists off the road as justification for the use of ANPR equipment. It is becoming clearly evident that the claims they make simply do not stack up and hold about as much water as a sieve.

There needs to be a massive crackdown on the use of ANPR equipment, not just by the civil enforcement industry and the likes of NSL and VEAS, who carry out enforcement for DVLA, but law enforcement agencies also. All too often, innocent motorists are wrongfully arrested and/or suffer the unlawful seizure of their vehicle due to data on police ANPR systems being out-of-date or inaccurate. It is futile for ACPO and the motor insurance industry to beat their chests and bang on about disrupting criminals and keeping uninsured motorists off the road as justification for the use of ANPR equipment. It is becoming clearly evident that the claims they make simply do not stack up and hold about as much water as a sieve.

Have to agree, ANPR seizure due to faulty records maY well be a breach of ECHR, as it denies right to fair trial, especially if the PCN is for a previous keeper. or the MID is wrong and the vehicle is actyually lawfully insured. I am told that any fees for getting the motor out of the pound, are non refundable even though it is an error, or worse compensatiuon if it is crushed is not available. Is that the case?

Have to agree, ANPR seizure due to faulty records maY well be a breach of ECHR, as it denies right to fair trial, especially if the PCN is for a previous keeper. or the MID is wrong and the vehicle is actually lawfully insured. I am told that any fees for getting the motor out of the pound, are non refundable even though it is an error, or worse compensation if it is crushed is not available. Is that the case?

Not just that, BN. Although Parliament has given the police and DVLA the power to seize vehicles, the rumblings in the jungle are that such seizures are not only contrary to Article 6 of ECHR (Right to A Fair Trial), but Article 1 of the First Protocol (Protection of Possessions) also. The legislation is, most likely, incompatible with the Articles and Protocols of ECHR. The justification put forward by ACPO is that it is to prevent the motorist continuing to commit an offence. Cobblers! The vast majority of the time the data is either inaccurate or out-of-date. The other one they pull is with boy racers, using the same excuse and the all-too-frequently-abused Public Order Act 1986.

If a vehicle is wrongfully or unlawfully seized by a civil enforcement company, technically, it is the creditor who is liable for any fees payable for a vehicle's release. However, although interpleader cases, so far, have been found in the motorists' favour, the motorist should not have to go to the lengths or expense they are being made to go to in order to protect their possessions from being illegally/unlawfully/wrongfully taken from them. In all honesty, I can see the interpleader provision under the new regulations coming under scrutiny and its lawfulness tested against its compatibility with the Articles and Protocols under ECHR. If this happens - and there is no reason why it should not - it could prove very expensive for the civil enforcement industry and creditors and raise very serious questions about the way in which the regulations were drafted.

If a vehicle is wrongly/unlawfully/illegally seized by one of DVLA's contractors (NSL or VEAS), go through the DVLA Wheelclamping Unit immediately. This stops enforcement and should ensure release without charge.

If the police wrongly/unlawfully/illegally seize vehicles, they tend to use private sector recovery firms who will not release vehicles until they are paid. It is, in essence, an extortion racket which is, eventually, going to backfire on the police and recovery operators. The police will tell you you cannot recover fees from them, but if they seized a vehicle with no lawful reason, there is no reason why a claim should not be brought against them for reimbursement of fees made by the recovery operator.

If a vehicle has been wrongly or unlawfully sold, then it is a case that it will either be subject to an order for recovery or a replacement vehicle provided. If a vehicle has been wrongly or unlawfully destroyed, then it is a case that the vehicle has to be replaced or the cost of replacement paid. However, the regulations applicable to bungling by DVLA contractors contains a provision whereby the innocent motorist is screwed by costs for seizure and disposal being taken out of any compensation paid.

Oldbill, the whole thing is nasty and should be stopped. Most Police Farces have a cosy arrangement with local recovery firms. Heddlu Gogledd Cymru have one with North Wales recovery I believe

Oldbill, the whole thing is nasty and should be stopped. Most Police Farces have a cosy arrangement with local recovery firms. Heddlu Gogledd Cymru have one with North Wales recovery I believe

It is one massive fraud, BN. Devon and Cornwall Police have an arrangement with a company called Vospers.

It is one massive fraud, BN. Devon and Cornwall Police have an arrangement with a company called Vospers.

Are they related to the boatbuilders who built MTBs in World War 2?

Not just that, BN. Although Parliament has given the police and DVLA the power to seize vehicles, the rumblings in the jungle are that such seizures are not only contrary to Article 6 of ECHR (Right to A Fair Trial), but Article 1 of the First Protocol (Protection of Possessions) also. The legislation is, most likely, incompatible with the Articles and Protocols of ECHR. The justification put forward by ACPO is that it is to prevent the motorist continuing to commit an offence. Cobblers! The vast majority of the time the data is either inaccurate or out-of-date. The other one they pull is with boy racers, using the same excuse and the all-too-frequently-abused Public Order Act 1986.

If a vehicle is wrongfully or unlawfully seized by a civil enforcement company, technically, it is the creditor who is liable for any fees payable for a vehicle's release. However, although interpleader cases, so far, have been found in the motorists' favour, the motorist should not have to go to the lengths or expense they are being made to go to in order to protect their possessions from being illegally/unlawfully/wrongfully taken from them. In all honesty, I can see the interpleader provision under the new regulations coming under scrutiny and its lawfulness tested against its compatibility with the Articles and Protocols under ECHR. If this happens - and there is no reason why it should not - it could prove very expensive for the civil enforcement industry and creditors and raise very serious questions about the way in which the regulations were drafted.

If a vehicle is wrongly/unlawfully/illegally seized by one of DVLA's contractors (NSL or VEAS), go through the DVLA Wheelclamping Unit immediately. This stops enforcement and should ensure release without charge.

If the police wrongly/unlawfully/illegally seize vehicles, they tend to use private sector recovery firms who will not release vehicles until they are paid. It is, in essence, an extortion racket which is, eventually, going to backfire on the police and recovery operators. The police will tell you you cannot recover fees from them, but if they seized a vehicle with no lawful reason, there is no reason why a claim should not be brought against them for reimbursement of fees made by the recovery operator.

If a vehicle has been wrongly or unlawfully sold, then it is a case that it will either be subject to an order for recovery or a replacement vehicle provided. If a vehicle has been wrongly or unlawfully destroyed, then it is a case that the vehicle has to be replaced or the cost of replacement paid. However, the regulations applicable to bungling by DVLA contractors contains a provision whereby the innocent motorist is screwed by costs for seizure and disposal being taken out of any compensation paid.

Hi Old Bill

Interested in this post, you say that there have been"rumblings* about human rights issues and immanent/impending actions regarding the DVLA as well as other issues regarding seizures etc, I would be very interested in any information you have regarding this and related matters.

I have been searching and cannot find anything, could you link me to your authorities please.

Many thanks

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi Old Bill

Interested in this post, you say that there have been"rumblings* about human rights issues and immanent/impending actions regarding the DVLA as well as other issues regarding seizures etc, I would be very interested in any information you have regarding this and related matters.

I have been searching and cannot find anything, could you link me to your authorities please.

Many thanks

Maybe here?

http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4085

:lol::lol::lol:

lol Yes that is what I was thinking

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Please tell me that is a wind up ? Did he really send that to the DVLA.. and expect someone to read it ?

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Please tell me that is a wind up ? Did he really send that to the DVLA.. and expect someone to read it ?

I doubt very much that it's a joke. These FMOTL types actually believe what they're spouting and won't listen to anyone that has a different opinion than them. Even if the DVLA had replied they'd have never accepted the answer as it wouldn't fit in with what they believe to be 'the law'.

Quite frankly, it's rather tiresome.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

No they are absolutely serious, the authorities will read the first few lines then put them in the bin. It amazes me how well written a lot of this stuff is, the content is nonsense of course, but you can see how people get drawn into thinking the author knows what he is talking about.

Unfortunately the fraud mentioned in that article concerned only that for which staff had been investigated and convicted of the crime. That which is the result of council policy, and alerted to the council, police, auditor etc was not deemed by any of them to be worthy of investigation.

However, another Grimsby Telegraph article does highlight a failing with the relevant police force in that it fails to record reports of crime correctly. This was similarly found to be the case when they wrongly recorded a complaint about misconduct within the force so there was no right of appeal.

Unfortunately the fraud mentioned in that article concerned only that for which staff had been investigated and convicted of the crime. That which is the result of council policy, and alerted to the council, police, auditor etc was not deemed by any of them to be worthy of investigation.

However, another Grimsby Telegraph article does highlight a failing with the relevant police force in that it fails to record reports of crime correctly. This was similarly found to be the case when they wrongly recorded a complaint about misconduct within the force so there was no right of appeal.

Common Purpose at work, as in sweep it under the carpet and denigrate the abused to hide the failimgs of the council, a bit like Rotherham, but financial rather than sexual abuse of the taxpayer.

Common Purpose at work, as in sweep it under the carpet and denigrate the abused to hide the failimgs of the council, a bit like Rotherham, but financial rather than sexual abuse of the taxpayer.

LOL Yes that is what I thought.

I believe they are teaming up with the fairies at the bottom of my garden.

LOL Yes that is what I thought.

I believe they are teaming up with the fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Councils are of themselves now no longer benign organisations run by voluntary councillors for the public good. They are cash and power hungry juggernauts, They are not in it for us, and FMOL is of no help. They ignore the law, and will do their best toi wriggle off the hook if they frik up and they and their bailiffs do something nasty, See R V Tucker COA

As to the fairies, leave the alone they don't want to know the council, after all if the council knew they lived there they would want council tax from them for their mushroom houses and send a bailiff to collect LOL.

Hey I have no problem with people indulging whatever beliefs they wish. My interests however lie in real life problems and solutions.

I thought perhaps there was something other than the rhetoric we have all heard a hundred times here, sadly not.

If a vehicle is wrongfully or unlawfully seized by a civil enforcement company, technically, it is the creditor who is liable for any fees payable for a vehicle's release. However, although interpleader cases, so far, have been found in the motorists' favour, the motorist should not have to go to the lengths or expense they are being made to go to in order to protect their possessions from being illegally/unlawfully/wrongfully taken from them.

OB.

As many will known I was most critical of the 'Interpleader' procedure when it was first mentioned earlier this year (before the new regulations took effect) and indeed I wrote a series of articles in various publications highlighting my concerns and outlining suggestions for a 'preliminary' stage to be followed before a formal Interpleader claim to court becomes necessary.

I was delighted to hear that my concerns and suggestions were brought to the attention of the Ministry of Justice and the Civil Procedure Rules committee and most (but not all) of the suggestions outlined were implemented in the new regulations.

Whilst not perfect....what we now have in the regulations is a legal procedure that allows a debtor or third party to write an INFORMAL letter (which can be sent by email) to the enforcement company if they believe that goods have been 'taken into control' when they should not have done so.

Such notice must be made within a strict time frame of 7 days and as soon as the enforcement company receive notice they must advise the local authority and it is for the LA to make a decision whether they are satisfied with the supporting documentation outlining the reason why the goods should not have been 'taken into control'. I am aware so far of two enforcement companies who are making the decision on behalf of the LA. This is NOT permitted (and is a matter that I recently brought to the attention of the Ministry of Justice).

I have personally assisted with many of these applications and so far.....every single one has been accepted and the goods released.

The Ministry of Justice are looking very closely indeed at how the 'Interpleader' applications will work in practice and with this in mind I am very interested indeed at your above comment:

However, although interpleader cases, so far, have been found in the motorists' favour

Are you referring in this comment to information that you have regarding Interpleaders that have actually been in court as it is my understanding that so far....no such cases have reached a court. I would be interested to know more.

An enforcement agent is under a lot more obligation to ensure that goods taken into control are owned (or jointly owned) by the debtor.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks