• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CapQuest and text messaging

DIZZYNITA
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Caggers

Today I had a text message from CQ

asking me to call them to "discuss a potential offer".

I know better than calling these people..

they used to write to me but I put the letters away as the debt is over 10 years old

and they offered a substantial rebate, at one point 70%!

Now they start messaging me but doesn't say what it relates to or that they are a debt collection agency

..their message was: "

Dear..,please call CapQuest today to discuss a potential offer on 03339997201 quoting ref XXX: Offer Code : Offer1".

Should they not saying who/what they are?

discount = no debt.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Dx is correct if you can block Capquests number, respond only to letters.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Make sure to notify the OFT as well. Also, you might need a smartphone app to block capquest, as they use a method which doesnt generate any number on your phone, so you cannot block it using normal methods.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

discount = no debt.

dx

DX you know better than that . An offer of a discount means nothing in terms of liability or enforceability

With regards to the debt, is it Statute barred?

If so, wait until Crapquest write to you then send back the SB letter.

If they already know that it is SB you should make a formal complaint and also let the OFT know that they are knowingly chasing a SB'd debt. I can see no other reason to make a valid complaint if I am honest

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Harassment. If they dont stop after you tell them to stop, they are in breach of OFT guidance on debt collection and possible criminal harassment if they continue. Plus under OFT guidance, it is your right to be contacted in the format YOU choose. Not what they think they can do.

Edited by renegadeimp

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

DX you know better than that . An offer of a discount means nothing in terms of liability or enforceability

Except with crapquest, DX's advice is spot on. I cant remember any debt that was fully valid and enforceable where they offered a discount. They only usually agree to a small settlement, if the debtor shows their finances wont allow them a huge repayment.

My debt has been SB for nearly 10 years and only occasionally got a letter, then it went quiet for a few years and then a letter every 6 months.

I will keep track of their messages and if necessary report them to the OFT.

Renegade

Maybe you haven't heard of it with Crapquest and for all I know in this case it may be a completely UE or SB'd debt. However what was said was discount=no debt which we all know is not true. Anyone else who reads this could easily assume that this was a general statement.

Incidentally I have a letter from Capquest where they suggest a discount may be on offer on an account that should it be taken to court I would probably have a very hard time defending although it will be easier now they have assigned it to lowlife as the DN is bad

I understodd what you meant, but with crapquest, they pretty much never offer a discount off their own back on a debt. Dx could have worded it better sure, but i think we know what he meant,.

as usual just playing policeman imp

a debt whereby 70% discount is offered normally means no debt even exists

as there always more than the offer they are making to reclaim

there we go another round of confusion for another newbie just after help.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

as usual just playing policeman imp

a debt whereby 70% discount is offered normally means no debt even exists

as there always more than the offer they are making to reclaim

there we go another round of confusion for another newbie just after help.

dx

Indeed. I've been harassed by crapquest, arrow and restons for the same debt. A provident loan i had back in 1999 :) Ive had a 40%, 60% and yesterday had a letter saying whatever i could afford to pay would be taken as a final settlement, and my credit file will be updated as such :D

Indeed it is confusion because a newbie (although this newbie seems rather knowledgeable ) could easily have taken what you said literally. IMHO this is especially important as you are in a position of authority. People only read what they want to read some of the time. What could happen if someone read that and as a consequence ended up with a ccj. or worse.

Renegade a provident loan from 1999 and still on your credit file what a bugger. At last mine were defaulted after I stopped paying so will be gone in a few years time.

Dizzy in answer to your last bit of the question they are a bit stuck. If they say who they are or what is about they could be hung out to dry for giving out info without knowing who was getting it.

Indeed it is confusion because a newbie (although this newbie seems rather knowledgeable ) could easily have taken what you said literally. IMHO this is especially important as you are in a position of authority. People only read what they want to read some of the time. What could happen if someone read that and as a consequence ended up with a ccj. or worse.

Renegade a provident loan from 1999 and still on your credit file what a bugger. At last mine were defaulted after I stopped paying so will be gone in a few years time.

Nah its not on my file, but theyre trying to say it is. This loan was NEVER on my file. Ever.

a newbie is hardy going to 'just' read one post without reading the whole thread

anyhow.

we are forgetting its coming up to xmas

and these fleecers need a bit of extra free profit to fund the xmas drinkies.

and they

THats why the forums are here fletch. TO give as much info from all sides as possible :)

dx is correct (usually is) Capquest and discounts means Unen. Stat Barred, etc.

Xmas chasing of duff debt has been going on for many years, it's just the DCAs

way of bringing misery and distress at this time!!:mad2:

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Brig , you just don't get it do you, you are letting your blind dislike of me colour your judgement. It is of course possibly admirable to defend a friend whatever the circumstances

The original statement was and still is incorrect and dangerously so however with clarification it is more appropriate although maybe not 100% accurate and certainly not the only weapon I would want in my arsenal. In this case it does appear that the debt is SB but as you well know , unless you tell them it is SB they are perfectly entitled to ask you for money. In England a SB debt still exists although can not be enforced in any way (unless by a default judgement )

As for DX being usually correct , where have i ever said that he is wrong more often than he is right however as a member of the site team IMHO he has a duty of care and a responsibility to make sure he is as accurate and informative as possible. Like anyone else he should be big enough to accept criticism without taking it personally

It's a way of extracting money from people with no legal rightto do so, and should be reported to relevant authorities .If everyone made astand against the activities and the way these DCA act and the fraudulent waysmore will be done about them.

Filrobbo

Once they have been told the debt is statute barred they must stop collection activity and if they don't then I am first in the queue to report them . In fact I am first in the queue when it comes to making valid complaints , but before you do you really need to get your ducks in a row.

There seems to be indifference at the Fos , I made a complaint, got a response which I challenged but it was not passed to an ombudsman as it should have been. I had to force the issue when the creditor started chasing me again. Sadly complaining is not for the feint hearted.

Complaints need to be based on facts and not feelings , it may feel unfair or immoral but unless you can show breaches of rules and guidleines you are stuffed

With the FOS