Want to cancel with DW Fitness

Masso
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I joined DW Blackpool about 9 months ago...

When i joined I was told that if i refer a friend I would get 1 months free membership, no ifs, no buts...

My Auntie joined and i confronted DW to let them know that I'm referring a friend etc...She joined....I asked for my free month and was told it was a competition!!!

From this point I felt lied too, not only that they promised me a training session and a phone call to arrange one...nothing!...

I feel that DW are only interested in creating memberships, and will do anything, even lie to get you to join!

So, after 6 months i cancelled my membership. Silly me re-joined a month later as i missed the gym, it's a great gym...Just the staff are horrible!

I've cancelled my membership again and given my months notice....I'll be moving to Norwich so the closest DW's are Lincoln and Cambridge which are over 1 hours drive away. DW emailed me and said they'd take next months £28 so i can still use the gym untill the end of next month.

I've sent them my membership card in the post and explained I can't use the gym because I'm moving to Norwich next week, and I'd be paying £28 for nothing!

If I cancel my direct debit....Will DW get debt collectors involved for £28??? Is it worth there hassle just for £28??? I'm out of my 6 month contract, and I've paid until the end of this month....

Also, the head office will now have my membership card. I can't use the gym because they have it. I sent them it to prove that I can't use any of there gyms. So, I've paid until the end of this month....

If they wan't to send me the membership card back then they can....I just sent it to them to prove a point that I cant use any DW due to location....

These morons want to charge me £28 when I've told them I cant get access to any DW, they e-mailed me saying I can use any DW until 31st August.....MORONS!

Hi Masso - posts moved into your own thread ;-)

We've seen cases here where the gym or their Mgt Co will chase for small amounts initially. Of course, they then add their Admin Charges which increase the alleged debt considerably. However, the admin fees are penalties and are NOT enforceable and our advice is always to ignore demands for such fees and never pay them.

1. When is the normal DD date.
  2. When did you give them notice this last time.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for your quick response....

My Direct Debit comes out the 1st of every month...sometimes the 2nd but very rarely...

I sent DW's head office a letter to cancel my membership on 15th July, they received it on the 16th because i received this email:

Hi Richard

Thank you for notifying us of your wish to cancel your membership with us, I agree that 1 hour travelling is very inconvenient!

As per your email 1 Months notice is required, and as such this means your final Direct Debit Payment will be requested on 1st August, allowing you access to any DW Sports Club until 31st August.

After the payment has been successful made, you can cancel your Direct Debit with us.

Best of luck with your relocation.

Kind Regards

Duty Manager

DW Sports Fitness Blackpool

Therefore why should i have to pay £28 for August? 1 full months notice would be the middle of August, and so I would only pay for half the month?

LOL I've just noticed....As per your email!!!

I sent a letter to head office! lol

I sent head office my card back yesterday, so I'm waiting on a reply.

Edited by Masso

I'm tempted to cancel my DD...They have my membership card, so I cant use any DW gym anyway...

Are they really going to fight for £28? If they did then I'd get £28 in 1p coins and plonk it on the reception! lol

Hi Masso,

In your circumstances, you should pay the DD payment due on 1st August and then cancel the DD mandate.

It's wholly reasonable that you give a full month's notice - you can't expect to give notice part way through the month and then only pay pro-rata for half the next month.

If you cancel the DD mandate before the last payment is made, they WILL chase you for the balance, they WILL charge admin fees (even though they are not enforceable at law) and they WILL pester you with phone calls and letters.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks.

For the sake of £28 i may as well pay it then...

I'll demand they return my card so I can at least try and use it a few times.

Plus I have a good credit rating, it's not worth the hassle over £28!!! :mad2:

Hi Masso,

Good decision.

You'll see this forum is littered with cases that have been running for many months. You really don't that hassle for the sake of one payment.

Glad that's sorted - NO SWEAT !! (see, I can do bad gym puns too) ;-)