VEAS/DVLA Issues

_michael
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right well, firstly sorry if this a dupe thread and has been said/done before but im so distressed and at the end of my tether i need help.

Basically i had a car, which was my daily and broke, so i bought a new one and this car stayed in my garage on a sorn. i decided i wanted to make it into a project car and one day in may april i needed to clear my garage out so i left the car outside it, the next day i came to it and found "do not move this vehicle" etc on it and a number to phone.i rang VEAS and they told me that one of their ANPR vans had spotted it on the road - this isnt possible because it was on a side street off a side street...

So someone rang them obviously as they travelled from manchester to blackpool and thats not by chance! anyway, i rang and said yes to avoid a fine from you ill scrap the car with you, come after 5:30.they collected the car at 9:30 am, obviously against my wishes, so i couldnt scrap the car with them as i dont have a signature and i dont have the vat number for them!

Now this is where it gets too much.a month later i recieved a fine for 121£ from the dvla LATE i had 3 days between getting the letter and the deadline for them to arrange a court date, so i paid up but when i asked what it was for they couldnt tell me? turns out it was for an unlicensed vehicle etc which it was on the road so i didnt dispute.VEAS say they will keep the car for 7 days then dispose of it...

its nearly 3 months later and its still in their yard racking up the charges, ive not recieved an invoice yet but you can check online - i know its there.and ill also be getting a fine eventually probably... for not sending off the v5.is there anyway i can get a local breakers to sign it off? will i have to go to bolton to their office to do it? will they charge me? where do the impound charges go if i dont pay them - a dca?please help me with all your wisdom and advice, im ****ed and at the end.also with everycar ive ever owned ive followed the procedure for scrapping/notifiying the dvla and everytime ive had a fine for something.

Edited by _michael

it is yeah, i know that i was wrong in doing it, its just a case of bad luck on my part that they came round. the car was half on my drive and half on the road.my post was more to do with the sending off of the v5 and the impound charges etc though.

it is yeah, i know that i was wrong in doing it, its just a case of bad luck on my part that they came round. the car was half on my drive and half on the road.my post was more to do with the sending off of the v5 and the impound charges etc though.

You're screwed then. Public highway = penalty

And the DVLA don't require anyone to notify them of an offending vehicle (but it helps in dodgy areas as they can rack up the fines/commission for their Christmas do's). Very much like the database for the TV licence, your vehicle will be one of those that is on a list where they will double check whenever they are passing, as you are down as an 'easy earner'.

Not much help to you now, but as a tip to others. I have my sorned car parked on my driveway but I have removed the number plates (and tax disc of course) to avoid any "passers by" checking it against their databases etc. This would also make their life more complicated if i rolled it onto the road for ten minutes for whatever reason. To identify the vehicle they would need to access the vehicle to check the VIN (also taped over on the dashboard).

My son's car was parked on private land next to his house (and defined as such in this deeds). The area is jointly owned by him and all the other houses on the estate and is not repairable at public expense. This didn't stop the Telford branch of VEAS snooping around it at 0730 one morning. When challenged by letter they said changes to the 2008 Finance Act gave them rights to enter private property to check for untaxed and or unSORNed vehicles and seize them if required.

Sch. 45, Finance Act 2008 amended sch. 2A, Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994, which gives them power to enter land etc, and clamp or remove unlicensed/non-SORN vehicles,

except:

(a)any place which is within the curtilage of, or in the vicinity of, a dwelling-house, mobile home or houseboat and which is normally enjoyed with it, or

(b)any place which is within the curtilage of, or in the vicinity of, a building consisting entirely (apart from common parts) of two or more dwellings and which is normally enjoyed only by the occupiers of one or more of those dwellings.

But it doesn't stop them trying.........................................

Edited by Raykay

I received letter from VEAS this morning regarding their aforementioned visit to private land in the Telford area. They now appear to be admitting that in this case "enforcement action would not be appropriate" and "thank you for bringing this matter to our attention".

Someone more cynical than me might well think that they appear to be considerably over stepping the mark as has sometimes been reported with TV licence inspectors. Given that both organisations are run by Capita this might lead you to think there could be common issues involved.

I know what it is like to have a vehicle seized in your absence (by Liverpool Airport and it turned out to be completely unwarranted as confirmed by the subsequent payout) and it can cause a great deal of distress and inconvenience. I should therefore advise anyone worried about VEAS' actions to confront them with a polite letter. Expect to be be given the usual dismissive runaround but if you are right they will have to back down.

• 3 months later...

very much the same veas came onto private property and clamp a car in my charge then came and took to peterborough compound after weeks of talks veas had to give car back to owner, but the owner wanted car took to his property, veas said it had to go back from location it was taken from, this i told them was not going to happen as i will not give them permission to leave the van on private property but the bullys these people are came to drop the car off regardless so i blocked access to my property and the veas opperator lorry driver became threatering and called me a f******* idiot, then he said he new where i lived i asked what he ment by this and he said i will see, then it looked as these veas lads would lift van over wall onto the property but then the van dropped suddenly hitting and trapping me under van as thay left van on a public road and drove away in there lorry leaving me injured, 15 mins later thay came back to the car and lifted car again with police attendence i explained to police but these took veas side as veas is part of the crown. and then yes we got the visit from veas driver who smashed a car window thinking it was mine as this car also had been clamped sometime before by veas and had to un-clamp. then someone stole the number plates from my hire van. veas if you would like to see cctv images of your opperator smashing window your have to come to court. these people tresspass and steal its not the first time veas has been told.

• 1 year later...

Hiya My car was taken 2 years ago by VEAS with a valid SORN and on private land, sold at auction while i was arguing with them it was private land after i showed them the plans now going through court action to get money and price of car back