• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Coop reclaim charges cheuque

Boltmaker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3797 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Mid May I sent a reclaim charges letter and spreadsheet to Coop Bank claiming CC charges to the amount of £2605 levied on the account over 13 years.

Today I received a reply and cheque from Coop for £794 as their final response.

They claim that to go back more that six years is against the Limitations Act 1980

and any charges incurred prior to May 2007 are outside of the six year rule and therefore statute barred.

Is this the case or are the Coop telling me a load of bxxxxxks and should I just accept their cheque and shut up or persue the other £1800 pounds.

Looking forward to your replies.

Hmm, Capital One are doing this as well. I will ask others on the site team what they think you should do. It is very unfair indeed, but I think you would probably need to take court action to recover those charges over 6 years.

Anyway, let me ask for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would think that your only course now would be court action.

Fos will be worse than useless with a charges reclaim, especially one going back further than six years.

You need to decide whether you wish to take this further through the courts and if you do then it will be Section 32(1)© which you will rely on to overcome the six year argument. This is all to with payments made under a mistake.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention it is S32(1)© Limitations Act 1980.

Does the letter say anything about full and final settlement? If so then you should return it to them and inform them that you want the full amount as per ims response.

If it's been paid with conditions attached (full and final) then you shouldn't just expect to be able to cash it and ignore the conditions.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you accept the cheque as a full and final settlement and then go on to court for the rest I suspect you may be on a sticky wicket.

You could contact co-op and tell them that you are willing to accept it as part payment but don't cash it unless/until you get their agreement.

This may sound drastic, but back when we could claim bank charges it was quite common for some banks to dangle a carrot to get people to settle for less than they were entitled to.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

My view is that of you sign it in Full and Final of your claim against the bank and then go to court, the judge is likely to say that they offered you a deal to close the matter and that your acceptance of the deal is the end of the matter.

You can't then have a second bite of the cherry.

The phrases "goodwill gesture" and "without accepting liability" are standard. It is the bank's cop out for not admitting any wrong doing.

Thanks guys,

I thought of writing back to them stating I will accept their current cheque as PARTIAL Settlement of my claim and include in the letter that I will go through the court system to recover the remaining amount and see what their response will be.

You could do that but you should be aware that a judge may well side with the co-op if they show the f&f letter in court.

Let us know how it goes.

• 5 months later...

hi boltmaker

just a quick question - how did you get the co-op to send you a cheque?

i tried this last year wit them trying to claim back unfair charges for the last six years and they denied my request saying that all the charges in their eyes were fair despite the fact that i gave details of how the charges have affected me financially - i would deary love to get at least a small portion of my money back as when the unfair bank charges situation first kicked off in the media i approached a company to claim back the charges for me and the co-op kindly sent me a record of all charges incurred! then as the banks all closed ranks in the wake of the media i heard nothing for at least three years until i wrote to them chasing it my self.

can you point me in the right direction please as i feel they have massively overcharged me over the years and mainly at times when i was financially on my knees.

any help would be lovely

x

Hi quequeq,

My situation was that the Coop had sold my alleged debt to Lowells and so no longer owned the debt. Subsequently they could not I believe use any refund of charges against the debt. I started by sending for a SAR request which gave me all the charges they had levied against the account which put me into financial hardship. It also showed all the PPI charges to the account which I also reclaimed. Also as the Coop could not produce a valid CCA under sec 78 of the Act so I think they were on a sticky wicket. After the sar details were received I downloaded a reclaim chart from the FOS website, completed IT AS PER THE INSTRUCTIONS. The chart calculates the interest at 8% to which you may be entitled to on top of the charges to the account.

Sent the completed chart along with a reclaim charges letter from the library and after a few weeks (6) I think an offer letter and cheque arrived covering the charges plus interest covering the last six years. They totally refused to consider anything beyond the last six year period. But several hundred pounds was better than nothing.

I then made a reclaim for all the PPI attached to the account. Again no valid agreement I think was a big help here too.

Downloaded the relevant reclaim forms from FOS ( please note this is a different form to the charges form) and followed the instructions again and four weeks or so later received a cheque to cover all PPI payments made plus interest.

Others on this site also helped and the same great people will help and guide you hopefully to the same success. If I can help any further please ask and I will try.