• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

dreaddan V HSBC **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a reply michael browne offered up to someone else in your position:

Reply to whoever sent the offer.

Dear [named sender or Sirs]

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx. Prior to receipt of your letter I have filed a claim in the County Court and have therefore incurred further costs.

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, interest and court fees now totalling £xxxx

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

user_online.gifreputation.gif vbrep_register("428050") report.gif

has your acknowledgment come through yet? when it does send dg a copy of your breakdown including interest and court costs.

• Haha 1

yes, if you actually put it in your claim.

now the mcol is showing acknowledged, you'll get paper work in a couple of days - second page will show them intending to defend in full....

take dg's address and any name and send them a copy of your breakdown including interest and court costs.

I just relised, I sent a letter on friday about part payment and have now sent the scedule of charges off to DG today without mentioning the offer - should I send DG a letter silimar to the one to friday or will hsbc send it on?

dan

not important. when the bank offers and you accept as partial it just disappears - no one seems to mention it again.

you are now dealing with dg and any offers will come from them. in my case received an offer just after i filed (it was from the bank and about 80% of the initial claim), received an offer from dg (about 80% of the claim that included int. and costs, then one week later received a full offer. so, just forget about the one from the bank.

I've just relised, on the defence paper it says they have till the 26th to respond. But the 25th and 26th are bank holidays does that mean they have till the 28th to respond or should I still click the start judgment button on boxing day?

• 3 weeks later...

don't go filing the aq just yet, did you send dg your breakdown when you were acknowledged. if no, send it now!!!, if yes, ring them tomorrow and ask if it was received - hopefully this will bump you up and possibly you could get an offer before the aq is due. you can fill it in if you like - but i'd hold off filing it until closer to the due date. try to light a fire under dg if possible.

however, if it comes to it and you need to file it, here's the help:

here's some help:Allocation Questionnaires - A guide to completion

and this:New strategy for Allocation Questionaires

and also a little s omething i picked up from bong:yes, bong - been meaning to ask - does it mean just copy out that letter and attach to the n150/N149 along with it, anything else to do with it??

or is it the answer to one of the questions on the aq. you know me - that technical stuff gets me. why doesn't a mod move both those two threads next to each other - i spend half my time looking for this stuff.

and her answer:

if its an N149 AQ at G (other information) write

I believe that the case will last no longer than one hour.

This issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact and not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the Defendant in respect of its customer’s contractual breaches exceed their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their actual costs and I am surprised the Defendant did not counterclaim for these, because I would have paid them without argument.

However, the continuing problem is (in common with the 100s of other cases currently being brought by other bank customers) that the banks refuse to reveal the details of their penalty-charging regime. As the banks have a fiduciary duty towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly and in utmost good faith.

Accordingly, I would respectfully ask that the attached draft direction be made into an order.

I believe this would bring a rapid end to this litigation.

If its an N150 AQ, at F tick yes and then no, and at H write the same text as above, but not the line about the case lasting for one hour as this has been answered elsewhere in the questionnaire.

You then attach the draft direction, making sure you have added your own case and court name and claim number etc.

Heres what thw defence says:

1. The Claimant?s account is governed by the Defendant?s personal and/or business banking terms and conditions.

2. Pursuant to the Defendant?s ters and condiations the Defendant is entitled to make a charge for it's services as set out in the Defendant?s price list, including and overdfart review fee for considering whether to provide and providing and overdraft.

3. The Defendant denies that the charges applied tyo the claimant?s account amount t8o penalties at common law and/or unfair contract terms ofr thje purposes of the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999 (UTCCRs).

4. The charges applied to the Claimant?s account are reasonable and are properly and fully disclosed in the defendants terms and conditions and published price list. The charges repesent the contractually agreed price for the services provided and the UTTCRs are not applicabile to them; alternatively, they are not unfair contrary to the UTTCRs. Further, the charges are not default charges and, accordingly, cannot amount to a penalty.

5. Save as set out above, each and every allegation made by the claimant is denied. For the resons set out above, it is denied that claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Note: most typo's are theres but some are mine... and the ? are what is on my form.

yes, do that - it just serves to make sure they still have you on their radar. they must be oh-so busy - but you don't want yours left behind.

just mention that you aq is due soon and you were hoping to have heard from them by now. see how it goes ... let us know.

Very odd, Just spoke to Deborah about this she says she isnt dealing with this and has passed a message on to the person who is dealing with this and they will be getting back to me.

I forgot to ask who is dealing with this but it strikes me a little odd that she has signed the defence form but isnt dealing with it.

I can only assume there getting her to fill the court papers in just incase but they have no intention to get that far...

Just had a call back (from Jennifer doyle I think) who has confermed they have receved a copy of the scedule, and are waiting for HSBC to get back to them. There is a delay due to the xmas period.

I told her that I was checking becaire I'd rceved my AQ.

Hi there, have you heard anything further yet? Sorry I'm just interested as I'll be at your stage very soon. Just waiting for their defense to come in.

Thanks!

:) Won the following claims thanks to this site...

£250.00 RBS - after 2nd letter

£140.00 First Direct - after 2nd letter

£393.32 Alliance and Leicester - filed claim on MCOL and they paid up within 2 weeks

£2218.28 HSBC (for hubbie) - filed claim on MCOL and they paid up after 3 weeks

:D nothing more to claim now and O/D and Credit Card paid off with proceeds of claims.

Not yet, but I leave before the postman comes so will know when I get home.

I'm not expecting anything till next week, with the clame being below the 1.5k limit I wont have to pay for the AQ which again will buy HSBC more time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've receved a offer for the full amount excluding the intrest since I put the clame in. so small I'm not bothered about it.

The offer also requires me to not make any other clames and to keep the 'ex gratia' payment confidential, how do I accept but without these clauses?

Also the AQ must be in by the 24th so should I still send it as I dont expect payment before I have to post it ?

cheers.

You don't need to accept any conditions.Send your own acceptance letter:

Date

Dear Whoever

Ref: Your Offer of Settlement

Account: xxxxxxxx

Sort Code xx-xx-xx

Claim No: XXXXX in XXXX County Court

I acknowledge receipt of your letter date xx/xx/xx and your settlement offer of £XXX

I accept your offer as full and final settlement only for this claim of bank charges made on my account between xx/xx/xx and xx/xx/xx(dates of first and last charge)

I accept this offer without prejudice and I reserve the right to make any further claims should you apply future charges that may be considered unlawful under common law or in violation of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 or Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim.

I am also not prepared to agree to any confidentially clauses you try to impose, unless of course your client wishes to make an offer of due consideration in addition to the amount of £xxxxx, in order to be afforded this privilege by myself.

I trust that you will find this arrangement acceptable.

Yours Sincerely

Re:AQ. If it is not submitted by the due date your case could be struck out, although DG are usually true to their word. I assume your claim is around £500?, so there is no fee to pay, so you might as well submit it.

• Haha 1

as for the aq - ring the court tomorrow and tell them you have accepted an offer and are awaiting payment and please could they delay the deadline on your aq - they will do this.

as for the confidentiality bit - cross it off - won't affect anything.

as for the no more claims - i think it says, does it not, that you won't claim for those same charges over that same period again - like why would you. if more charges come in and you want to claim - claim away - but you know the score - they will probably close your acct. so have another ready.

so, good news all around this weekend - loads of full offers - they have excelled themselves with offers this weekend.

i'm very pleased for you, job well done, stuck to it and got there!

here's some info:: When You Get Your Refund

i think they are saying 7 -10 days to get the money - keep on top of it -

check the offer is for everything you wanted, charges, interest, (forget the daily if it's not an issue), and court fees. then sign, return, wait for the cash!

many congratulations, spend wisely!

you can pm

blueskies vbmenu_register("postmenu_254163", true); to move your thread to the success stories for all the newbies to read and be encouraged to take the plunge.

again - great news!

p.s. michael's came in as i wrote this - his letter is good - as for the aq - either way - it's up to you. several have used the delay call.