• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Campaign against high insurance premiums for people with poor credit

neil6534
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I am seeking help from everyone.

Recently I had to get lots of quotes for car insurancelink3.gif and they were all pretty high.

I found out that the reason for this is due to my credit file and what credit risk I am deemed to be.

The insurance companies/brokers look at your credit file and then decide if you are a good or bad threat. If you are a bad threat then your premium will be higher than those with a good credit file.

This I feel is discrimination and an unfair pricing policy.

The insurance companies/brokers will look at your file to decide what premium is to be applied but do not reflect that you have made monthly payments without fail back on to your credit file. So in one hand they use your bad profile to exploit you and on the other they do not reflect your ability to pay back the monthly installments.

Even if you decide to pay in full on a one off payment you are still hit with a higher premium, the only difference being that you don't have to pay interestlink3.gif for paying monthly.

Any suggestions on who I can contact in the media to highlight this problem?

Please keep your suggestions relating to this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

My concern is that many people may be paying higher insurance premium due to incorrect information on their credit file, which they may be unaware of.

I think if someone is charged a higher premium as a result of information on their credit file they should be informed of this, otherwise it is unfair for someone to check their file every other day.

What i dont understand is why is it so high for people who pay in a lump sum? I understand credit checks for those drivers that want to pay monthly, but not for those who just want to pay it in one go. In that scenario, there is no reason at all to check a credit file.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The following is from Association of British Insurers.

Bankruptcy, and credit scoring more generally, can be an indicator of risk and evidence shows that it is predictive of claims experience. Information collected by reference agencies to determine a credit score will typically include details of county court judgements (CCJs) and bankruptcy. As such, some – but not all – insurers use credit scores as one of several rating factors to determine risk, and a poorer credit history is likely to lead to a higher premium.

I don't agree with this, but someone probably needs to take them to court to get any change.

So If you had some difficulty with your finance, how does that make you a higher risk driver.

Most People with credit problems situation is brought abought by High Interest Payments, time to bring back people justice and private sittings with the perpatrators, and get rid of Regulators (Non Regulators) as they seem unable to do any sort of job, and just publish guidelines which are not enfirceable only recommended.

Like the non government who rather companies etc self regulate as the government know that to issue actual legislation would be ignored until something goes wrong!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

The following is from Association of British Insurers.

Bankruptcy, and credit scoring more generally, can be an indicator of risk and evidence shows that it is predictive of claims experience. Information collected by reference agencies to determine a credit score will typically include details of county court judgements (CCJs) and bankruptcy. As such, some – but not all – insurers use credit scores as one of several rating factors to determine risk, and a poorer credit history is likely to lead to a higher premium.

I don't agree with this, but someone probably needs to take them to court to get any change.

So If you had some difficulty with your finance, how does that make you a higher risk driver.

Because the sad buggers think you stand a good chance of fraudulant claim,well if that is the case then they are pre-judging people which is a criminal offence, to my mind if that is the case.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

• 2 months later...

Pay insurance by instalments is a form of credit and CRA checks have ways been done.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Interesting. I suppose when it comes to household insurance it makes a kind of sense.People with money problems are more likely to have an "accident" with a pot of paint when they need a new carpet, I suppose.

The connection with car insurance is a more tenuous one, I can't really see the justification for it affecting third party only policies for instance.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

The credit records are checked on motor insurance especially if the insurance is to be paid for by instalments, it is well known that unscrupulous people will take insurance paid this way pay one or two instalments and cancel payment once they have the insurance certificate in their hands, if this happens insurers default the account within 7 days which will show on CRAs so it is needed to prevent a recurrence of this criminal act.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

The credit records are checked on motor insurance especially if the insurance is to be paid for by instalments, it is well known that unscrupulous people will take insurance paid this way pay one or two instalments and cancel payment once they have the insurance certificate in their hands, if this happens insurers default the account within 7 days which will show on CRAs so it is needed to prevent a recurrence of this criminal act.

Surely if this were the case the CRA check would be done via the credit supplier, and reflect on the apr of the loan, not on the price of the policy.

Policies can be cancelled before they terminate of course.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

As most of the instalment apps are made online it is part of the insurance application often the insurer provides the credit themselves or via a subsidiary.

It is a crime prevention measure if the credit supplier was to allow such actions there would be further repercussions.

As most of the instalment apps are made online it is part of the insurance application often the insurer provides the credit themselves or via a subsidiary.

It is a crime prevention measure if the credit supplier was to allow such actions there would be further repercussions.

Not sure what you mean here, I can see that the cost of the credit would increase based on the credit score, but struggle to see the criminal connection.

I know from experience that if a payment arrangement on car insurance is breached the just cancel the policy.

Police check all insurance through a central data-base to prevent fraud, they do not just take the document at face value.

Ok quite simply the payment of motor insurance by instalments has been widely abused, payments being stopped once the driver has the insurance certificate, so the insurers and credit providers work together a s such criminal activity will certainly have consequential costs which will be passed on by higher insurance premiums.

Just goggled this.

http://www.gmacinsurance.com/legal/creditfaq.asp

2. Why do insurers use credit?

Auto insurance companies use financial history along with other factors (such as years of driving experience) to properly classify an insured according to his/her potential risk. Numerous studies have shown a very strong correlation between a consumer's financial history and his/her future insurance loss potential. Thus, auto insurance companies believe the use of credit helps to underwrite an applicant at a cost that most accurately reflects that particular applicant's specific risk.

Seems like a statistical relationship

Hi all, I think that the meaning of this thread is becoming a bit lost.

The problem is that no matter how you search or get your car insurance, who ever is the provider uses a credit score to determine your premium prior to any choice of a lump sum payment or monthly payments being chosen.

When I researched my current insurance my premium came out at around £490. When I changed the following details on the quote form the insurance came out at approx £350.

All I changed was;

Drivers name to my girlfriends

drivers age

all other details such as the car being driven, miles driven per year, accidents and claims, no claims bonus etc were all kep the same. So on the basis that they no longer use gender as a means of setting a premium (in this case it would have been beneficial to be a female) the only conclusion is that the premium is set according to your credit score.

The premium is calaculated prior to what ever payment plan you chose.

I spoke to my insurance provider and they confirmed this!!!

Yes apparently someone has discovered a correlation between the credit rating of an applicant and the prospective claims that will be made against their policy.

Premiums have been weighed to reflect the additional risk.

Insurers take many factors into account, I wasn't aware of this one , but it seem to make quite a difference. I am not sure what you can do about it, they will argue that their research and statistical analysis are accurate, and they probably are.