• Tweets

• I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. Anyway I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
    • Apologies all for the late reply and info, i have been away with the Army. They have paid I accepted the offer on the 5th of May, and they paid on the 17th of May.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Yes Car Credit PPI REclaim *** Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3732 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - in the absence of more experienced help - it appears that they are trying to claim that they were acting on behalf of the insurer in selling you an insurance product, not acting as your advisor. As the weren't acting on your behalf they don't believe that they had to disclose the commission to you. If the court accepts that they were not your agent then there would be no need for disclosure. I would however assume that they would have had to tell you at the point of sale that they were acting as agents for the insurer which I would imagine that their paperwork didn't - this is possibly a point worth making. It's probably worth flagging the case for somebody on the legal issues forum to have a look at. Apologies the answer is vague - not my area of expertise and don't want to mislead you that it is. Hopefully experienced help will be along soon

Thanks Andybars. I've posted in the legal forum and hope that somebody can help me soon.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth me trying the underwriter route first? Has anybody had any success that way? Or should I just go ahead to court? If the underwriter refuses to acknowledge responsibility can it then go to the FOS...and then to court if they can't make them pay up? I know the court route would be quicker, but I need to have a good POC and I'm not having any luck in finding help in that direction so far...

UKADARRENFAN

I will catch up later on this thread

What i can tell you is that they have to tell you if any commission payment is included with the sale of the policy, AND YOU end up paying for that commission payment.

Wilson V Hurstanger

Sorry if already asked, do you have a copy of the insurance underwriting sheet listing this commission payment

Thank you postggi. I have attached a sheet showing their commissions in post no 37 of this thread on page 2. It worries me slightly as they have stated in their letter to me that they were an agent for the insurer and not myself, so therefore did not have to disclose any commission to me. Is this true? They also state that with regards to taking the deposit from the insurance, there was no express agreement that they should offset the deposit against the car.

They cannot off set a deposit against the insurance products, prescribed terms in the credit agreement will have been mis-stated ending in an unenforceable agreement

Have you asked if those so called agents, or should i say employees trained and certificated to sell insurance products?

Did they tell you they were only agents??

Its a maze of deceit that you just have to keep digging at

What is the date of the agreement?

This is what they had to say about the insurance

DAFS provided credit to you in respect of the purchase of a vehicle and merely provided finance to you for the purchase of a payment protection policy (PPI) and other insurances under the agreement. To be clear we were not an agent for you, we were agent for the insurance provider.The supplier (the insurer) is separate from the creditor (DAFS). The insurance part of the agreement was concluded by us on behalf of the insurer with the insurer’s authority and as such the agency was disclosed to your client and DAFS had no obligation to disclose any commission payments as it was not your agent.

and this is what it had to say about the deposit

We refute the suggestion that the agreement has been incorrectly constructed as a result of the deposit being applied to the wrong agreement. We would point out that the deposit of £1001 provided by you was not subject to an express agreement to offset that deposit against the cost of the vehicle rather than the cost of the PPI.

Yes they had great delight in telling me that they weren't regulated then as they know then that I can't go to the FOS. I know others are trying to go by the route of the underwriters and then the FOS, but would it be quicker to take them to court and would I have a good chance of winning?

It seems to me you have been more than reasonable in trying to resolve this dispute

What they are not telling you is that by applying the deposit to the insurance, The amount and total amount of credit are mis-stated. the 50% termination figure is also prejudiced.

That will draw me too the conclusion by removing the insurance element from the agreement, any extra you have had to pay due to the insurance element is claimable. I am talking of extra payments due to the already high APR limit

You have been subjected to an unfair association with yes car in that as we know, they deliberately tried to deceive you every step

Give me a few day, it has been a while since i retrieved my old records, Probably hamster bedding by now:lol:

And i will update you on my own recommendation on how to continue. My inclining is a N1 court claim and let a judge sort it out, but lets get all the relevant facts first before jumping too conclusions

if it says regulated by the consumer credit act on the agreement

get them under section 56....

Consumer Credit Act Section 56. refers...

— (1) In this Act “antecedent negotiations ” means any negotiations with the debtor or hirer—

(a) conducted by the creditor or owner in relation to the making of any regulated agreement, or

(b) conducted by a credit-broker in relation to goods sold or proposed to be sold by the credit-broker to the creditor before forming the subject-matter of a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement within section 12(a), or

© conducted by the supplier in relation to a transaction financed or proposed to be financed by a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement and “negotiator ” means the person by whom negotiations are so conducted with the debtor or hirer.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if it says regulated by the consumer credit act on the agreement

get them under section 56....

Consumer Credit Act Section 56. refers...

— (1) In this Act “antecedent negotiations ” means any negotiations with the debtor or hirer—

(a) conducted by the creditor or owner in relation to the making of any regulated agreement, or

(b) conducted by a credit-broker in relation to goods sold or proposed to be sold by the credit-broker to the creditor before forming the subject-matter of a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement within section 12(a), or

© conducted by the supplier in relation to a transaction financed or proposed to be financed by a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement and “negotiator ” means the person by whom negotiations are so conducted with the debtor or hirer.

Thank you so much for that dx. I had to Google that to turn it into a language that I understood, but now I do it seems like the perfect basis for a claim!

Let see if we can stir things up shall we

Seems i will be burning the midnight oil on the Consumer Credit Act 1974

140A

Unfair relationships between creditors and debtors

(1)The court may make an order under section 140B in connection with a credit agreement if it determines that the relationship between the creditor and the debtor arising out of the agreement (or the agreement taken with any related agreement) is unfair to the debtor because of one or more of the following—

(a)any of the terms of the agreement or of any related agreement;

(b)the way in which the creditor has exercised or enforced any of his rights under the agreement or any related agreement;

©any other thing done (or not done) by, or on behalf of, the creditor (either before or after the making of the agreement or any related agreement).

(2)In deciding whether to make a determination under this section the court shall have regard to all matters it thinks relevant (including matters relating to the creditor and matters relating to the debtor).

(3)For the purposes of this section the court shall (except to the extent that it is not appropriate to do so) treat anything done (or not done) by, or on behalf of, or in relation to, an associate or a former associate of the creditor as if done (or not done) by, or on behalf of, or in relation to, the creditor.

(4)A determination may be made under this section in relation to a relationship notwithstanding that the relationship may have ended.

(5)An order under section 140B shall not be made in connection with a credit agreement which is an exempt agreement by virtue of section 16(6C).

140B

Powers of court in relation to unfair relationships

(1)An order under this section in connection with a credit agreement may do one or more of the following—

(a)require the creditor, or any associate or former associate of his, to repay (in whole or in part) any sum paid by the debtor or by a surety by virtue of the agreement or any related agreement (whether paid to the creditor, the associate or the former associate or to any other person);

(b)require the creditor, or any associate or former associate of his, to do or not to do (or to cease doing) anything specified in the order in connection with the agreement or any related agreement;

©reduce or discharge any sum payable by the debtor or by a surety by virtue of the agreement or any related agreement;

(d)direct the return to a surety of any property provided by him for the purposes of a security;

(e)otherwise set aside (in whole or in part) any duty imposed on the debtor or on a surety by virtue of the agreement or any related agreement;

(f)alter the terms of the agreement or of any related agreement;

(g)direct accounts to be taken, or (in Scotland) an accounting to be made, between any persons.

(2)An order under this section may be made in connection with a credit agreement only—

(a)on an application made by the debtor or by a surety;

(b)at the instance of the debtor or a surety in any proceedings in any court to which the debtor and the creditor are parties, being proceedings to enforce the agreement or any related agreement; or

©at the instance of the debtor or a surety in any other proceedings in any court where the amount paid or payable under the agreement or any related agreement is relevant.

(3)An order under this section may be made notwithstanding that its effect is to place on the creditor, or any associate or former associate of his, a burden in respect of an advantage enjoyed by another person.

(4)An application under subsection (2)(a) may only be made—

(a)in England and Wales, to the county court;

(b)in Scotland, to the sheriff court;

©in Northern Ireland, to the High Court (subject to subsection (6)).

(5)In Scotland such an application may be made in the sheriff court for the district in which the debtor or surety resides or carries on business.

(6)In Northern Ireland such an application may be made to the county court if the credit agreement is an agreement under which the creditor provides the debtor with—

(a)fixed-sum credit not exceeding £15,000; or

(b)running-account credit on which the credit limit does not exceed £15,000.

(7)Without prejudice to any provision which may be made by rules of court made in relation to county courts in Northern Ireland, such rules may provide that an application made by virtue of subsection (6) may be made in the county court for the division in which the debtor or surety resides or carries on business.

(8)A party to any proceedings mentioned in subsection (2) shall be entitled, in accordance with rules of court, to have any person who might be the subject of an order under this section made a party to the proceedings.

(9)If, in any such proceedings, the debtor or a surety alleges that the relationship between the creditor and the debtor is unfair to the debtor, it is for the creditor to prove to the contrary.]

Edited by postggj

Use everything

I have the info on commissions and underwriting sheets, prescribed terms etc

I am going to have to have at least a week to put things together for you as this is not easy

I also have a dissertation to finish by next Friday as well :!:

This is what I have just been reading. I would say it covers just about everything.

On what basis can a relationship be deemed unfair?

Section 140A sets out the criteria for determining whether a relationship is unfair because of one or more of the following:

Any of the terms of the agreement or any related agreement;

The way in which the creditor has exercised or enforced any of its rights under the agreement or any related agreement;

Anything done or not done by, or on behalf of the creditor.

Individuals may bring or defend actions on the basis of the provisions, as well as the OFT having the power to bring an action under Part 8 of the Enterprise Act 2002 where there is an unfair relationship which harms the collective interests of consumers. An example of this might be where a lender uses certain terms and conditions in all its agreements which are unfair.

What exactly does unfair mean?

There is no definition within the provisions themselves. Guidance encourages taking the widest possible view, and it is considered that there is suitable direction in analogous statutory provisions, in particular the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999. These regulations, taken with the judgment in Director General of Fair Trading –v- First National Bank (2001) create the proposition that unfairness arises as a result of:

Lack of fair and open dealings between the customer and the lender;

Failure to give potentially disadvantageous terms sufficient prominence;

Deliberately or unconsciously taking advantage of consumers’ necessity, lack of experience, unfamiliarity with the subject matter, weak bargaining position or any other relevant factor;

Causing a significant imbalance in parties’ rights and obligations;

Acting contrary to good faith;

Acting in detriment to the consumer.************

That is about it

Lack of fair and open dealings between the customer and the lender;

Failure to give potentially disadvantageous terms sufficient prominence;

Deliberately or unconsciously taking advantage of consumers’ necessity, lack of experience, unfamiliarity with the subject matter, weak bargaining position or any other relevant factor;

Causing a significant imbalance in parties’ rights and obligations;

Acting contrary to good faith;

Acting in detriment to the consumer.******

l

Damn. Just been doing a bit more reading and came up with this. Seems like we can't claim an unfair relationship as our agreement ended in 2006.

The introduction of provisions

The provisions were introduced by the Consumer Credit Act 2006. They applied to new agreements from 6 April 2007, and to pre-existing agreements from 6 April 2008. Agreements completed before the new provisions took effect remain subject to the previous extortionate credit bargains provisions.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3732 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks