• Tweets

• that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

JMio v Clydesdale Bank - LBA Sent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd received this a few days ago, but not hada chance to post it until now.

Response from the ICO, re Clydesdale Bank's delay tactics.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Dear Mr Mio,

I am writing further to my correspondance dated 25th May 2006 regarding your complaint against Clydesdale Bank. I have now received a response to my enquiries.

I understand from your correspondance that you made a subject access request (SA) to Clydesdale Bank on 8th March 2006 making specific reference to the information contained within your bank statements covering the last six years. This request was acknowledged almost one month later and the letter simply explained that duplicate bank statements cannot be obtained through a SAR. Following this, you repeated and clarified your request, enclosing your £10 fee, on 10th April 2006. Following this, Clydesdale Bank responded to your SAR; however it informed you that statement information prior to July 2005 would not be provided because it falls outside the scope of the Act due to the way it is held.

Based on the information you provided, I contacted Clydesdale Bank for a description of how the transactional information contained within bank statements was stored and retrieved. The Bank provided the requested information and it is our opinion that the information is stored electronically therefore falls within the scope of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Based on the above, it appears that there has been a contravention of the sixth data protection principle, which requires daa controllers such as Clydesdale Bank to process personal data in accordance with data subjects' rights. This is because it did not provide you with all the personal data you were entitled to under the Act following SAR. It is therefore our opinion that it is unlikely that this processing has been carried out in compliance with the Act.

Clydesdale Bank has confirmed that is has recently been in direct contact with you regarding this matter and is in the process of providing you wih the transactional data from your bank statements pre-dating 2005. On this basis, we do not consider that it needs to take any further action as a result. However I have reminded it of its obligations under the Act and clarified that its current systems fall within the scope of the Act.

It may be helpful to explain that a contravention of one of the data protection principles is not itself a criminal offence and the Information Commissioner has no power to 'punish' a data controller. In such instances, the Commissioner will seek a resolution to the contravention and once satisfied that it has been remedied then in general no further action will be taken.

Furthermore, section 13 of the Act gives individuals the right to claim compensation if they have suffered damage as a result of a contravention of the Act. If this is something you would be interested in pursuing, I would advise you to obtain legal advice with a view to taking the matter to the courts. The Information Commissioner is unable to comment or advise on any claim for compensation.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Your case will now be closed.

Yours sincerely

Claire Naven

Casework and Advice Officer

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Nice work Jmio!! And you have helped a lot of people with this success. Well done.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Cheers, I'm still contemplating a 2nd complaint to the ICO regarding their stance on Manual Intervention info...

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

That's what I'm wondering... I've asked them to send me details of what their charge rates were over the years, i.e. if it's £22.50 now in 2006, what was it in 2005/2004 etc etc.

Either way, it'll add the fat end of another £500 onto my claim!

Hi JMio, so in conclusion to this variable service charge which we have been getting charged each month we've incurred a penalty charge, have I understood it correctly that we can add that on to the rest of the charges we've incurred. It is a significant amount!

Gee

yeah...ive got all my statements too, and still totting up the penelty charges! B

BUt also im not sure if you can add the SC charges that appear at the bottom of each statement for defering on a cheque or going over overdrawn limit!

Can anyone clarify this....was it something you took in to consideration JMio?

Then which is the best letter to use to claim it back! Thanks of all the help so far!

SHathis !:wink:

yeah...ive got all my statements too, and still totting up the penelty charges! B

BUt also im not sure if you can add the SC charges that appear at the bottom of each statement for defering on a cheque or going over overdrawn limit!

Can anyone clarify this....was it something you took in to consideration JMio?

Then which is the best letter to use to claim it back! Thanks of all the help so far!

SHathis !:wink:

The staff at my local branch told me that this varied 'Service Charge' only occured after I'd gone overdrawn during the previous month.

If (like me) you don't beleive that it costs them upwards of £20 a time to rectify your overdraft, then slap that amount onto your claim too.!

The staff at my local branch told me that this varied 'Service Charge' only occured after I'd gone overdrawn during the previous month.

If (like me) you don't beleive that it costs them upwards of £20 a time to rectify your overdraft, then slap that amount onto your claim too.!

I reckon you are right, however I guess they would never agree to repay the full amount of the Service Charge, and will say they are entitled to charge you a certain amount for providing you with the over draft . I am still charged now - every month - even if I don't go over my limit, but the charge is 'only' £11 in those cases.

Gee

Fair point.

However, I'll let THEM pondor, and then argue how much they think is a fair amount - and THEN I'll be asking them why they thought they could get away with Overcharging us all for so many years...

My account is a silver account which charges me £7.50 a month for ????, this I accept as a charge but everything else, late fee, irregular fee, card misuse, bounced d/d or s/o and service charge are as far as I am concerned all penalties. You get a service charge in the month following alleged misdemenour so for exceeding your limit you are charged £45 for a bounced d/d £55.50 -- reasonable no way!

Prelim letter completely ignored, so LBA sent off today. 1st class recorded delivery.

So another claim in a fortnight then. They will be busy.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

JMio, I am in the process fo getting my 6 years details (they agreed to provide them to me for £10 after a nice follow up letter was sent to someone *other* than my branch manager!).

My I be so bold as to ask if you could provide the 'main' content of your letter to the CB, (omitting the financial details, obvisously)... This may provide to be a useful templete of sorts for others, should your claim be successful.

In particular, how did you word that the SC each month was punitive and should be included in the reclaim for charges?

Regards,

Arthur Gill.

Prelim letter completely ignored, so LBA sent off today. 1st class recorded delivery.

I just used the standard LBA that's in the Bank Templates library - my view is that ALL of their penalty charges are unlawful, and I want them back.

If they want to argue this, then they can do it in front of a Judge, and they can decide!

:)

Got a response from the preliminary request letter, they refuse to pay - obiviously, and give a long list of reasons why, regarding their terms and conditions. They also say they will counter-claim me for damages against them should I take legal action.

I guess it is nearly time to start the court proceedings...

Gee

Hi geedels,

Got my letter back morning also, stating that they refure to pay as I had accepted their terms and conditions when i opened the account. It take it there is no more we can do apart from small claims?

PS - really ****ed at A&L - I knew a dd was going out yesterday and had insufficient funds so withdrew money from different account and lodged cash into A&L to cover dd. They fined me £35.00 this morning and rejected the dd (it to my account £6.00 over without the money lodged) they said the dd was taken out in the morning and by the time i had got in at lunch time it was to late.

Can they do this? is there not a time in the day that they have to wait until?

Really peaved but will have to open another account before if lodge claim as they apparently close the account when you claim!

Andy_h

Hi geedels,

Got my letter back morning also, stating that they refure to pay as I had accepted their terms and conditions when i opened the account. It take it there is no more we can do apart from small claims?

PS - really ****ed at A&L - I knew a dd was going out yesterday and had insufficient funds so withdrew money from different account and lodged cash into A&L to cover dd. They fined me £35.00 this morning and rejected the dd (it to my account £6.00 over without the money lodged) they said the dd was taken out in the morning and by the time i had got in at lunch time it was to late.

Can they do this? is there not a time in the day that they have to wait until?

Really peaved but will have to open another account before if lodge claim as they apparently close the account when you claim!

Andy_h

Yorkshire bank bounce the DD and fine you as soon as it goes 1 second past midnight on the day your DD comes out. :mad:

Lloyds TSB allow you until the end of that working day to get your money in before they bounce your DD. :)

Some banks are [edit] about this, and some behave a bit better with their customers. :confused:

Yorkshire bank also take your money out on midnight Friday for DD's coming out on Monday. They say it's so you can't accidentally take the money out by mistake and go overdrawn.

The [edit]

[MODERATED: Please do not post libelous comments on this site]

19/6/06 Data Protection Act letter sent recorded delivery.

27/6/06 Confirmation of receipt from Clydesdale Bank. Awaiting statements.

7/7/06 Statements arrived in the post - all 3 accounts as requested. (This took 18 days in total).

10/07/06 3 accounts - £898.00 excluding interest of £216.61 - Prelim letter posted by recorded delivery.

HSBC let anything and everything come out of my account, even if there is no money in it, they never bounce a payment. The charge an overlimit penalty at the end of the month of course, but it's a lot better than some banks. I still got my money back from them though :D

I absolutely hate YB with a passion, as well as what they did to me there was a woman that worked at my branch that was incredibly patronising - when I applied for a loan she said 'oh I doubt you'll get this'. My credit record was perfect and it was approved straight away, to which she said 'oh it's said yes, that's suprising' She was also the person that answered the phone when I rung to complain about my loan DD coming out early, and told me to ring head office as it had nothing to do with them!

Take them for every penny, if you've sent the LBA and got the refusal in return, lodge your moneyclaim straight away Andy. Don't forget to add this months charges!

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

I didn't mention on my last posting, but A&L used to allow me to go over my limit and fine me at the end of the month (£25.00) and the dd still gets paid. However their attitude has only changed in the last month since I asked them (firm but nice!!) for my money back.

I'll go after them once CB has been sorted out and another account has been opened.

I have just realised that I sent the LBA, not prelim letter. They have still just responded as with everyone else. Could this have a bearing on the claim or should I go back and send the initial letter?

Andy H

Hi Andy. Can you start your own thread, explaining what you have done so far and we will try and help you. It is important to read the FAQ's thoroughly and understand what you are doing or you could jeopardise your claim.

This lot's incompetance appears to be never-ending...

Received a big, A4 lett from Clydesdale Bank's very own Ring-Master (let's face it, that's a Circus they're running not a large, multinational Financial Organisation) Mr Neil McKirdy:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Dear Mr JMio,

I refer to your letter of 19 June addressed to Elaine Notman. This, together with copies of previous correspondance, has been passed to me for attention.

There appears to have been some confusion in that your aforementioned letter, as well as that of 14 June, specifies credit card charges whearas Ms Notman has written to you based on an assessment of your bank account. Please accept my apologies for this.

I am also in receipt of your letter of 13 July regarding charges on account [My Current Account]. I note that you previously sought details of charges on this account and I enclose copy statements from the opening of the account to June of this year.

As well as the aforementioned letters, the Bank has received a Small Claims Summons with you as the pursuer. Accordingly, I can make no comment on bank charges and would as you to note that the matter has been passed to our Legal department.

If you are unhappy with the way in which your complaint has been handled or the outcome you may now refer the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman within six months from the date of our final rsponse letter to you. Their address is South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR.

Yours sincerely

Neil McKirdy

Customer Relations Manager

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Along with that letter, the buffoon has send me another batch of my Copy Statements, which I've already received!!

Now, granted it took a bit of battling before they arrived the 1st time, but being sent them a 2nd time is hardly the response I was looking for when I asked for a refund of charges.!?!

It amazes that a company with such incompetance is still in existance.

Tell you what Neil, I'm really really looking forward to another of our 'little chats' again tomorrow.

I had almost forgotten Neil, it's so long since I heard from him. lol. Sounds like he might be a bit unsure what is going on and after your complaint to the ICO wants to make absolutely sure you have everything you need.

Is it me or is it suddenly getting reeeeeally busy on the CB/YB front. Nothing for months and now we are all being bombarded. Perhaps they have suddenly woken up to the fact that something is going on.

Is it me or is it suddenly getting reeeeeally busy on the CB/YB front. Nothing for months and now we are all being bombarded.

I've been thinking the exact same thing myself over the last few days. Hopefully though, at the pace things seem to be moving lately, we'll have some good news for this sub-forum - and hopefully, it'll give more people the encouragement needed to tackle this useless bunch of [insert whatever word suits :D]

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks