• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HBOS [Nelson Guest Solicitors] received claim forms

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Slightly confused Jittery

Who is named on the summons as Claimant ?

The Sols are NG correct?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its apparent who issued the summons so ignore the ambulance chasers.You have 33 days in total to deal with a response (subject to your plea) 5 deemed served so 28.14 days to Acknowledge Service and a further 14 to submit a defence should you decide to defend.

If you could post up (verbatim) details of the Claim less any identifiable data and round the figure up they are claiming to give an idea which track this would proceed in.

I see you have sent a CPR 31.14 request the DSAR can take up to 40 days for a response so start to gather as much documentation as possible.

Have you ever received a LBA or Default Notice pertaining to this claim?

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 2 weeks later...

There is no such thing as a template defence JJ all defences are unique in the response to the Particulars of Claim.I can post something tomorrow for you to edit to suit.

Regards

Andy

• Haha 1

POC

1.The claim is xxxx being monies owing to the claimant in respect of a credit agreement between HBOS and the defendant under account xxxxxxxxxxxx.

2.The agreement was terminated as the defendant failed to maintain the the agreed terms .In accordance with the pre-action protocols the claimant has attempted to contact the defendant and agree a repayment plan . the defendant has failed to respond or maintain a suitable arrangement and the balance remains owing .

3.The claimant claims interest pursuant of section 69 of the county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from xxxx to xxxxx totalling 0.94 and thereafter at a daily rate to date of judgemnt.

DEFENCE: (Edit to suit)

1. Paragraph 1 is admitted with regards to the Defendant entering in to an Agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim ('the Agreement') with XXXXXXXXX Limited.

2. Paragraph 2 is neither admitted or denied with regards to the Defendant defaulting on payments and the Claimant is put to strict proof to evidence this breach.

3. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

The claimant is also put to strict proof:-

(i) Disclose the agreement that this claim is based on.

(ii) Disclose a valid Default Notice/Termination Notice with proof of service.

4.On receipt of this claim I requested documentation by way of a CPR 31.14 request dated xxxxxxx namely the " Agreement" referred to in the claimants Particulars of Claim. The Claimant has yet to comply with this request.

5. Further, by reason of the fact that the Claimant is in default of a section 78 request dated xxth xxxxx xxxx, the Claimant has yet to comply with this request and until such time the Agreement cannot be enforced against the Defendant without an order of the Court, until such time they comply with my request.

8. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Regards

Andy

Copy and paste into MCOL when you have checked its accuracy.

POC

1.The claim is xxxx being monies owing to the claimant in respect of a credit agreement between HBOS and the defendant under account xxxxxxxxxxxx.

2.The agreement was terminated as the defendant failed to maintain the the agreed terms .In accordance with the pre-action protocols the claimant has attempted to contact the defendant and agree a repayment plan . the defendant has failed to respond or maintain a suitable arrangement and the balance remains owing .

3.The claimant claims interest pursuant of section 69 of the county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from xxxx to xxxxx totalling 0.94 and thereafter at a daily rate to date of judgemnt.

DEFENCE: (Edit to suit)

1. Paragraph 1 is admitted with regards to the Defendant entering in to an Agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim ('the Agreement') with XXXXXXXXX Limited.

2. Paragraph 2 is neither admitted or denied with regards to the Defendant defaulting on payments and the Claimant is put to strict proof to evidence this breach.

3. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

The claimant is also put to strict proof:-

(i) Disclose the agreement that this claim is based on.

(ii) Disclose a valid Default Notice/Termination Notice with proof of service.

4.On receipt of this claim I requested documentation by way of a CPR 31.14 request dated xxxxxxx namely the " Agreement" referred to in the claimants Particulars of Claim. The Claimant has yet to comply with this request.

5. Further, by reason of the fact that the Claimant is in default of a section 78 request dated xxth xxxxx xxxx, the Claimant has yet to comply with this request and until such time the Agreement cannot be enforced against the Defendant without an order of the Court, until such time they comply with my request.

6. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Regards

Andy

Defence updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Its just a last ditch attempt to unsettle you JJ...you have submitted a defence their move next ...at a price they have to pay to issue an AQ...so far cheaper to get you to withdraw your defence and let them have judgment with no cost or work involved.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi JJ

You can use the Courts appointed Mediator (ADR) or make approach yourself within the 1 month to try to narrow the differences between parties.Failing mediation within the 28 days a further AQ must be submitted.

Regards

Andy

Hi

Will the courts mediator contact me themselves? Varies you ring them Or do I have to contact them ? And if so do I have to do this before Thursday and let the court know? Why what's relevant about Thursday?

Or If I contact wescot myself is there a template letter I could use offering a settlement in monthly payments , less the amount I discovered in charges , any idea how much to offer , claim for just over £2000 they once offer me reduced figure of £ 1400. If they have previously offered £400.00 try £1000 And if I do this do I inform the court of my actions ? If settlement can be reached the claimant usually informs the court

Thanks for all you help Andy much appreciated , jj

I usually advise a phone call rather than letter in the initial stages ask to speak to the litigator connected with your claim.Phone calls catch them on the hop with not time to prepare and its not in writing until they respond.Perhaps throw in that you would be prepared to consider a Consent Order or Tomlin Order with view to avoiding any further costs.

Test the water ....you will then get a feel if its achievable or you are waisting your time.

Claim is stayed anyway until 7th March so mediate...not seeing the N24 verbatim I am not aware what they wish you to do by 21/02.

Andy

N24

Claim stayed for one month

And gives me one week for the following steps to be taken

Either

The claimant must notify if the case has been settled Why one week where does it state a week ? the claim is stayed for 28 days and will probably take that time to reach an agreement

Or

The claimant/ defendant must write to the court requesting an extension of the stay period explaining steps taken towards settlement and identifying any mediator expert or other person helping with the case .thevletter should confirm agreement with all parties

Should you fail to reach agreement in 28 days

Or

All the parties must file an allocation questionnaire at the court. If mediation fails and no extension applied for Where a settlement of some of the issues have been reached a list should be attached to the completed questionnaire the list must be agrees by with other parties .

• 5 months later...

The CCJ can be legally assigned....the court should be advised and you should request conformation in writing from the new owner...you should also point out that a consent order is in place.

Regards

Andy

The Terms of the Consent Order can not be altered or superseded...only by way of recourse from the Court...which would involve either party making application.

makes no odds who now owns it.

Morning DB:wink:

Indeed, Andy. Consent orders are notoriously difficult – almost impossible – to overturn. So does this not mean that only the parties mentioned in the TO can receive payment? Does this mean that Halifax have reneged on the agreement?

No and no DB ...the Consent is attached to the debt...so it works like a normal assignment..its rights and duties are transferred to the new owner.

JJ..... continue to make payment as per your Consent...its in the interests of the new owner to inform the Court...however as previously advised they cannot change the schedule or arrangements of said Consent without firstly informing the court of a change of parties to the consent then making application to review the schedule with your agreement.

Regards

Andy