Tax Credits Overpayment Dispute.

Number6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm dealing with my new partners Tax Credits claim.

So has a large historical overpayment that is being repaid by weekly deduction from her payments.

Two days ago, out of the blue she received a letter demanding immediate payment of £1000+ or they'll send in the debt collectors. She has no idea why the letter has suddenly arrived as she has been on a repayment arrangement for years.

I intend to investigate the whole arrears business as it seems to be a bit of a shambles.

Question: Should I put in an FOI request on her behalf so that I can get the entire case history?

Or is a different approach recommended?

If FOI is the way to go then what's the appropriate address to send the request to?

Many thanks.

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

She should submit a subject access request (SAR) under the Data protection act (DPA) as this will provide her with her personal information. HMRC do not charge a fee for this service which is usually up to a maximum of £10

she should request all and any information held such as;

Transcript or CD of telephone calls

Electronic information ( household notes and e mails)

Copies of written correspondence (letters and memos)

HMRC have 40 days to comply with the request

Gbarbm

It doesn't say who the DPO is on the letter. Anyone have the name and address?

Sorted. I misread what Gbarbm wrote in the previous post, sorry.

Edited by Number6
Stupidity :-(

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

I did misread it and realised later. I edited my post to reflect this. Sorry :-)

Letter has been written and sent.

We're very curious to understand why, after running a repayment scheme for three years my partner now receives a final demand out of the blue.

Honest answer... I don't know!

Usually, HMRC will recover monies for up to 3 years; they will then either remit it (if the individual has insufficient income including investments out of which to collect) or will refer it to a DCA leaving you to presumably negotiate repayments with them.

It does seem odd that HMRC haven't written to your partner to advise her of this, but nothing surprises me with HMRC these days!

Gbarbm

They're getting to be as bad as DVLA.