• Tweets

• Thank you Ethel, their letter was literally one line, with an added bonus of a typo..... "As you own the land that the property was damaged on we would not be able to dela with that aspect of the claim.", so I think it may be the initial fob off. I have replied just stating "This is not correct, the fence is owned by XYZ ltd, please clarify?", but will follow it up with a letter from the company. will let you know how I get on x
    • Ok about a year ago i was summonsed to court for a speeding offence, long story short it wasn't me that was driving the vehicle, and i successfully proved that i had not received any paperwork (the reason it went to a summons) because there is a problem with our address, i live at number 7, yet when you look online to enter our address for anything you have 7, 5-7 and 7-9 on our street, one is my address and two are businesses.  The court ruled that there was an issue, and agreed i did not receive any paperwork (aside from me not being the driver) anyway i thought it odd that i never received anything in the post to say that, but they are the courts so i assumed everything would be in order. Now just recently i have been using family members vehicles to get to work and have been insuring the vehicles on a temporary basis. Recently when using a comparison website i would get results and then when i went to make payment it would not let me advance, i had tried this on numerous sites and the same happened, i assumed that it would have been because i have used to many temporary insurances and it may have flagged for whatever reason. So i went to check my license online, and i cant view it, it states below, i called the DVLA and they can not view any details either and have said they will need to raise a case internally to find out what has happened.  My wife and brother seem to think that the courts have screwed up not informed the DVLA of anything, hence i was banned. But surely it wouldn't have taken so long for me to stop being able to insure my vehicle on a temporary basis until just now?? Please can anyone assist as im worried sick now and ive done absolutely nothing wrong, i need my license for my job. It has not been possible to display/match your driving licence. For further information regarding your driving licence details write to: Central Casework Group, Drivers Enquiries, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL
    • why waste money on scammers? all you need in law is to prove something was sent. use a 2nd class stamp and get free proof of posting from any po counter. dx  
    • Tracked is NOT necessary. 1st or 2nd class will suffice. Just make sure you obtain free proof of posting and KEEP IT SOMEWHERE SAFE...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sammy115 vs Abbey * SETTLED IN FULL ********

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On the matter of the default notice that was served on me yesterday also!

I have read the s10 data protection act notice and fully intend to write to Abbey with this. However, I am concerned that the amount that is owed to the Abbey is more than the charges applied, my problem is I am unsure as to how much. It was only when i requested my charges be refunded that Abbey removed my overdraft facility which has led to them now defaulting my account. I have repeatedly made them offers to repay the money and have in fact been paying them £150 per month, but they have never put anything in writing - just demanded that the whole amount be paid off.

Obviously once they removed the overdraft I was incurring high interest charges, I have also incurred more charges since submitting my original claim.

Should I start a new claim for the further charges that have been applied to my account since then, despite the fact that my original claim is still proceeding.

I feel I have nothing to lose by submitting the letter under the s10 argument but do not want to jeopardise any continuing litigation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting to see if Abbey file their statement as ordered to by 4.00pm today. I am going to ring the court tomorrow to see. (I may wait till the day after) I am sure Abbey will.

However, they have to file their forensic accountants report on the 'setting of and calculation of charges' by the 28th November. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT ONE!

Our final day is on 10th November!!!!!! Getting a wee bit worried! Had Goodwill payment of 535 and letter offering £570!!! Where do they get that from. A bank that can't even count. Sent letter off stating the money was already in our account before their offer was even made, we accepted it as part payment only and would be continuing with claim. Also sent email stating they had offered £570 but only put £535 into account and could they explain this, letter to Abbey also sent querying this. Letter not acknowledged but we received letter re email stating I had not signed it so could not be actioned on! DUH!! however, a copy of my email was sent for signing which we did and sent off last week.

Letter sent to Abbey also stating their last date would be 10th before we would start court claim and did they actually want to go as far as this. Would they be prepared to settle rather than go to court. Has not been acknowledged.

Now we will have to find out about how we proceed with taking them to court.

L

never say never
:cool:

Lynn - maybe they charged you for sending you a letter!

I am sick of Abbey and their impersonal computer generated letters. I have just about the sixteenth letter saying that I have not been in touch with regard to paying off my overdraft. Well I have!!! About sixteen times!

They really are stupid!

Well I rang the court today and they said they have no record of a response from Abbey as ordered byt the Court. They also said that the file may not have been updated. When I asked what should i do if they have not responded, she said I could request that the defence be struck out following their failure to comply with an order of the court.

How long do I wait before assuming that the file is updated. I am quite willing to send my letter to the court tomorrow but I am unsure what to put and how to word it.

Help would be appreciated with the wording of the letter.

Thanks

Sorry, forgot to say that what I HAVE received is a letter telling both me and the court that DLA Piper no longer acts for them, and they are representing themselves. I am sure that this is going to be a tactic. Maybe they are going to say that due to the change over this is why they delayed submitting the response in a timely manner. What do you experts think?

Sorry, forgot to say that what I HAVE received is a letter telling both me and the court that DLA Piper no longer acts for them, and they are representing themselves. I am sure that this is going to be a tactic. Maybe they are going to say that due to the change over this is why they delayed submitting the response in a timely manner. What do you experts think?

Sammy

couple of points come to mind, since the defence was entered by DLA piper have youbeen sending them anything, copies of AQ, anything you have sent to the courts?

If you have then I would write to the courts and complain it is the defendants responsibility to monitor and submit the relevant papers and submissions to the court when they are due.

Inform them of the correspondence you have had with DLA piper and confirm that it is the defendants responsibility to effect and proper and efficient handover from DLA piper to their new defence team.

I would ask that the court strike out the defence if you want some ideas as to what you could write see my thread Glenn vs Abbey i sent a motion to strike their defence out with my AQ questionnaire.

there are some words in there about their previous behavior too.

You might alos like to include someof the new stuff from the financial ombudsman and the competion commissioners report, i would.

I have been advised to wait five days after the AQ submission deadline to check if abbey entered theirs if they don't ill complain to the court and ask again for their defence to be struck out on the basis of the abuse of process.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Glenn

have just rung the court again and Abbey have not filed the defence as ordered by the judge. So I have to complete an N244 (which i have downloaded from the library) and send with more money! £35.

I am going to look at your thread later for the wording for my intention to apply for an order to strike out the defence (is that right?) but I am a little unsure as to Part B which asks me whether I wish to rely on

the attached (witness/statement)(affidavit)

My statement of case

evidence in part C in support of my application.

Actually as I have just written this I think the answer is evidence in Part C in support of my application, and this is where I should put the information you wrote about with regard to changing solicitors etc etc. What do you think??

Sammy I dont know that form but what you say sounds right, then you can attach a letter asking thr honourable court to strike out the defence at thier own discretion.

If you want to see what i wrote check out my thread Glenn vs Abbey which includes a request to strike abbeys defence out.

If you want to get some feedback on anything you write you can post it on here or send it to somoene to look at.

HTH

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I was under the impression that the N244 form was to amend a claim.

To file for judgment you simply tear off the slip attached to the notice of issue. This form requests you to fill in the charges and interest up to date of filing for judgment. No cost. am I wrong? this is what I have done.

Hi Polly

I am a bit unsure now. It was the clerk at the court office who told me I needed to fill in the N224, and I have to admit I was a bit gutted at having to fork out ANOTHER £35. I will do some research today and try to dig a bit deeper.

What she actually said was that 'I should apply for the defence to be struck out due to non-compliance of an order'.

Does anyone else out there have any experience.

This is my first draft Application Notice to have Abbeys defence struck out

Can I have comments please, I am not sure how to end it either. (sorry its so long)

1. How do you wish to have your application dealt with – without a hearing (Go to question 5 & 6)

5. Level of judge – Left Blank

6. Parties to be served – Abbey Bank PLC

Part A

I (my name) on behalf of the claimant intend to apply for an order that the court strikes out the defence of Abbey National Plc because Abbey National Plc have failed to comply with an order to file and serve a witness of fact by 4.00pm on 7 November 2006, as directed on the 10th October 2006.

Part B

I wish to rely on evidence in Part C in support of my application

Part C

At a hearing on the 10th October 2006 at Redditch County Court, the following was ordered.

1. The matter be allocated to the Small Claims Track.

2. The Claimant do file and serve a witness statement of fact by 4.00pm on 24October 2006.

3. The Defendant do file and serve a witness statement of fact by 4.00pm on 7 November 2006.

4. Leave to the Defendant to instruct a forensic accountant to prepare a report upon the setting and calculation of charges applied to the Claimant's current account with the Defendant, such report to be provided by 4.00pm on 28 November 2006.

5. Any questions to the expert shall be put in writing by 4.00pm on 12 December 2006 with replies to be provided by 4.00pm on 9 January 2007.

6. The parties do confer and agree the documents to be included in a trial bundle, a common bundle to be lodged with the Court 14 days before the hearing by the Defendant's solicitors, to include the skeleton arguments of the parties' submissions.

7. The matter to be listed for hearing on the first open date after 13 February 2007(date to be advised) with a time estimate of 3 hours.

The Claimant filed and served a witness statement of fact by 4.00pm on 24 October 2006.

The Defendant has failed to file and serve a witness statement of fact by 4.00pm on 7 November 2006.

The defendant has repeatedly acknowledged claims, entered a similar defence as they entered in this claim, filed allocation questionnaires, attended case management and allocation hearings, and generally abused legal process to its advantage.

However, the defendant has failed to attend court to defend a single claim to my knowledge and has repeatedly settled claims on the ‘steps’ of the court.

The Defendant has at its disposal the absolute defence required to defend this claim in its entirety and yet at no time has it ever offered to prove what its costs are in respect of breaches of contract which it claims allows it to levy charges of the magnitude it has done in the claimant and other customer cases.

This is my first draft Application Notice to have Abbeys defence struck out

Can I have comments please, I am not sure how to end it either. (sorry its so long)

1. How do you wish to have your application dealt with – without a hearing (Go to question 5 & 6)

5. Level of judge – Left Blank

6. Parties to be served – Abbey Bank PLC

Part A

I (my name) Are you acting for someone else? If not then I would begin The Claimant intends....on behalf of the claimant intend to apply for an order that the court strikes out the defence of Abbey National Plc.

The Claimant understands that the Defendant has failed to comply with an order to file and serve a witness of fact by 4.00pm on 7 November 2006, as directed by this Honourable Court on the 10th October 2006.

Part B

I wish to rely on evidence in Part C in support of my application

Part C

At a hearing on the 10th October 2006 at Redditch County Court, the following was ordered.

1. The matter be allocated to the Small Claims Track.

2. The Claimant do file and serve a witness statement of fact by 4.00pm on 24October 2006.

3. The Defendant do file and serve a witness statement of fact by 4.00pm on 7 November 2006.

4. Leave to the Defendant to instruct a forensic accountant to prepare a report upon the setting and calculation of charges applied to the Claimant's current account with the Defendant, such report to be provided by 4.00pm on 28 November 2006.

5. Any questions to the expert shall be put in writing by 4.00pm on 12 December 2006 with replies to be provided by 4.00pm on 9 January 2007.

6. The parties do confer and agree the documents to be included in a trial bundle, a common bundle to be lodged with the Court 14 days before the hearing by the Defendant's solicitors, to include the skeleton arguments of the parties' submissions.

7. The matter to be listed for hearing on the first open date after 13 February 2007(date to be advised) with a time estimate of 3 hours.

The Claimant filed and served a witness statement of fact by 4.00pm on 24 October 2006.

The Claimant understands that the Defendant has failed to file and serve a witness statement of fact by 4.00pm on 7 November 2006. (It may be a mistake on the Courts part and they may have filed, so you want to allow for that rather than stating as fact somethig which you cannot ascertain yourself).

The defendant has repeatedly acknowledged claims, entered a similar defence as they entered in this claim, filed allocation questionnaires, attended case management and allocation hearings, and generally abused legal process to its advantage.

However, the defendant has failed to attend court to defend a single claim to my knowledge and has repeatedly settled claims on the ‘steps’ of the court.

The Defendant has at its disposal the absolute defence required to defend this claim in its entirety and yet at no time has it ever offered to prove what its costs are in respect of breaches of contract which it claims allows it to levy charges of the magnitude it has done in the claimant and other customer cases.

I would also like to draw to the Courts attention that any delays caused by failure to follow due process by the Defendant with subsequent appeals for stays or additional time to comply, put the Defendant, a large multinational conglomerate, at an advantage over the CLaimant, a Lititgant in person. I therefore humlby request that the case is allowed to proceed withou any undue delays caused the Defendants failure to submit documents into Court in accordance with the Courts orders.

How about something like 'In the event that the Court alllows the defence to stand that the Court takes any actions it deems appropriate.'

I dont see much wrong with it Sammy, as you know im no expert, just learning on the hoof like most of us.

I think the difference between my circumstances and yours is that the COurt hasnt made an order, well I supose it has in the sense that it allows a timeframe for filing the AQ but otherwise its a standard ommission on the part of the Abbey.

Whereas in your case they have failed to observe a specific order.

JMHO

Glenn

PS you might need to check the spelling, this PC doesnt have ispell installed on it.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Good luck Haydn - be prepared for a hard battle, Abbey are proving to be a tough nut to crack.

Glenn, thanks for your input, you are quite right the way you have worded it makes more sense now. I was struggling a little bit. I also see why I have to fill the form in now too.

Off home shortly to fill in more paperwork!!!!! Have a good evening all

Well, well. Got home today to a very inconspicuous letter from Abbey who have decided to SETTLE IN FULL. They have offered me all my charges back, the interest that I stated on my claim form, the court costs and the charge for the allocation questionaire. What a result!!!!

So to everyone out there, keep going, keep going, keep going. My only worry now is to hold out for the accrued interest since filing my claim in June (or is that being greedy!!!!) LOL!

PS Can a moderator, change my title please!!!!

Sammy,

Well Done :D

Another RESULT for Justice

VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN - IF THEY HELP - PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Halifax - S.A.R - June 06

- Pre-Lim(£1665) July 06

- LBA - July 06

- MCOL - 15th Aug 06

- Acknowledged 18th Aug

- Settled IN FULL :eek:

- 2nd Claim Started - 12 Dec 2006

- SETTLED IN FULL:eek:

- 3rd Claim Started (Phone Call) 1st March 2007

Abbey National - S.A.R - 23/08/06

- Default Removal Letter sent 21st Sept

- LBA sent with Estimated Charges 4/10/06

- 2nd LBA 23/10/06

- N1 filed 9/11/06 - Deemed Served 16/11/06

- AQ & Draft Directions filed 19/12/06

- Court Hearing 22/3/07

- SETTLED IN FULL:o INCLUDING £5k COMPENSATION

Capital One - S.A.R. 10/10/06

Alliance & Leicester - Mortgage E/S/C Claim 02/03/07

Well done!

Abbey - Claim 1

full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full £710 :D

Abbey (Claim 2)

full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full £4000 :D

Abbey (Claim 3)

Court date 27 June -

Capital One (claim 1)

£467 Settled in full 20 Sep :D

Capital One (claim 2)

£72 refunded 19 Aug :-D

Associates (Citicards)

claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS