Buying a used car from a dealer, preperation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im looking to buy a used car from a dealer. I have finance arranged, and paid a small holding deposit.

The finance will pay the full price, so suggested the holding deposit then be used to replace the cambelt as there was no proof of it being done in the history.

Ive been browsing many threads as this is my first HP agreement, and quite a large one at that. Im already familiar with what to do if things go wrong after sale.

Im just wondering, what state should the car be presented to me in? Should that cam belt have been confirmed not due, or replaced if no confirmation? To be honest I have no worries about paying for it to be done anyway as I would with any used car I buy private.

I see a previous post about tyres of 2-3mm being advised at needing changing, but 1.6mm is the road legal limit, would a dealer need to ensure the tyres would last? My last tyres lasted 8 months and 12,000 miles, how could a dealer know how long the tyre would last?

A long time ago I agreed a sale with a dealer who had MOTd and serviced a car before i bought it, and the car needed suspension parts replacing (drove like a boat) and the service didnt include new oil and desel filters! Needless to say I was dissapointed, but i was offered a full refund, I chose to fix it myself though that time.

Any thoughts welcome? Looking to colect the car in a week or so due to work commitments, the ad has already been removed from the dealer website (any way to veiw my cookie/stored page?)

The dealer has to prepare the car so primarily it is roadworthy, so the issue of cambelt etc is down to whether the advert directly refers to the cambelt being changed, or whether it says it has FULL service hsitory, which would then require it to have been changed IF it is due within the manufactirers service schedule. Otherwise it is down to you to ask the question which is what you have done.

As far as the tyres go, provided they are legal at the point of sale, then the legal bases are covered.