• Tweets

• Daft question - but you filed the defence on-line on MCOL as dx indicated, right?
    • We looked up the e-mail address so communications would be in writing.  If you do stuff on the phone the other party can just deny the contents of the conversation.  They can't deny what's written in an e-mail. So time to sort Pete out.  Check the following for accuracy and change anything I've got wrong.  Then e-mail Pete this evening.  I was thinking of threatening the pub with legal action but let's initially be nice.   Dear Pete, Re: PCN no.XXXXX, claim form no.XXXXX on 23 July 2022 I was a customer at your pub and I attach proof of purchase. I was picking up my cousin Ms XXXXX and her family as she was working as a cook with you at the time.  I entered the pub through the back door, went to the bar, and ordered a drink and a meal.  At no point did any bar staff alert me that I needed to add my registration number or did I see any signs advising me to do so.  I then took a seat outside in a small seated area so I could chat to my cousin while waiting for her to finish work.  We were joined by the management of the pub and bar staff during my time waiting  I was shocked a few days later when I received a demand for £100 from Civil Enforcement Ltd.  i contacted the pub and was told "don't worry, it's not enforceable". Well, that information turned out to be nonsense because I have now received a county court claim form from CEL. I contacted the pub again on XXXXX and was extremely disappointed to be told "there's nothing we can do". Of course there is something you can do.  You are the organ grinder.  You called CEL in.  You can call your dogs off.  Your pub has absolutely superb reviews on Google Maps regarding the way in which you treat guests.  Do you really think customers should be dragged to court?  I'm sure you don't. I am therefore requesting that you intervene and instruct CEL to cease court action. Yours, XXXXX
    • Thank you - Defence has now been filed Doc_20240501_182920_Redacted.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Electronic smoking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have a friend who smokes and has done so for quite a number of years. I have been looking into how to help with ideas into either giving up or at least cutting down. Would any one have any feedback of these electronic devices now on the market. Do they work ? Are they harmful ? Any ideas would be appreciated..

My sister uses one but only for when she is in a place where smoking is not allowed. She says they are very good. The problem with E-cigs is that some of the ones you can buy are not regulated so you may be getting more nicotine than you should and that's another issue.

With E-cigs, you are not getting over the nicotine which is what makes us crave tobacco so for giving up I would say that yes they don't give all those harmful chemicals but they don't help you quit or slow down

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Ive been using e cigarettes for three weeks now and do not feel the need to smoke any more.

I gave up smoking not by choice, but had a stay in hospital where you obviously cannot smoke.

I wasnt a heavy smoker to start with and really wasnt fussed that I couldnt smoke any way. Saying that I did miss it, not craved but missed the whole experience. So some one bought me in a e cigarette in and it worked for me. I used to roll my own and it was hard getting used to sticking a cigarette in my mouth as it felt like I was sucking on a drain pipe :lol: but when I got passed that I felt that I didnt need to roll one up just to get that same feeling.

I use 10 motives. it cost me £13.99 for a rechargeable cigarette, which you can plug into your lap top or PC, you can also buy a plug adapter. and a box of 5 refills for £5.99. the charge will last for about 3 days, each refills last about 5 days.

So to start up it will cost about £20.00 then £6.00 a month there after. I have to say that I have not felt tempted at all, even now that I am home and people smoke around me, in fact I find peoples smoke quite revolting now.

I have found that menthol is more palatable. you can get them in 16mg and 18mg.

Just type in 10 motives in google and you can find out quite a lot info on them, you can also buy them on line.

This is now my 4th week of not smoking, and glad I have done it even though I actually was not even thinking of giving up.

forgot to add, you can buy disposable ones at about £5.99, these last about 5 days, depending how much of a smoker you were.

I told two nursing staff in the hospital to get them as they were finding it hard giving up, both were really glad they had tried it, they found it much easier that any sprays or patches, gums or any other giving up aids, because they dont take the experience away, which is also part of the habit.

Could you get addicted to these, well its possible, but it is less harmful and much cheaper and you can use these anywhere.

If you want to use e-cigs to quit then you can start on the stronger cartridges and wean yourself down through less nicotine to nicotine free. I think it's safer for new users to start with a system which uses cartidges rather than filling the thing yourself with liquid. It is more expensive but still much cheaper than cigarettes. One system I find very convenient is the Skycig as you can charge up a box which looks just like a pack of cigarettes and this can then be used to charge your batteries wherever you are. At present there is a discount code QUIT38 which gives you the whole system for around £15 inc P&P - you type it in when you get to the payment screen. This is stunning value for a starter kit. The refill cartridges are more expensive than most at around £9 for five as each one contains an atomiser which means the whole setup is clean and not fiddly to use. There are 16, 12 and 6mg strength cartridges. There are cheaper ways to 'vape' but I reckon this has got to be the easiest introduction.

If like I was you're a 20+ a day smoker then vaping can be a wonderful way of quitting cigarettes, it was the only one which worked for me. I did have a couple of relapses/ false starts though so may be worth me going through some points.

It does at the start require some willpower (though not much) - there's nothing like a real cigarette.

It does take some getting used to - there's nothing like a real cigarette.

It is important that you have an e-cig available at all times. Cigarettes can be bought anywhere but e-cigs can't. My lapses happened when on the road. The trick is to have a shedload of 'spares'. Starter kits tend to have two batteries so you can have one charging up while the other is in use. I don't think this is enough, I've never found an in car charger which worked well for example hence my enthusiasm with the Skycig system.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different systems. At my 'peak' I had three different e-cigs on the go, using them in different situations or at different times of day. No single system is perfect. The 10 Motives or an equivalent can be a great value system at home while you go for something like the Skycig for when you're at work or in the car.

If your prime motive is to save money you will try to scrimp at first and begrudge spending money on e-cigs - big mistake.

Don't ever let yourself run out of consumables. Remember you are an addict and the worst way to satisfy your craving is with the most easily obtainable product - cigarettes. Give yourself a fighting chance by making sure you have the alternative on hand.

We no longer smoke, hightail, we vape

So true and I love the term :-)

I would love to be the ex smoker saying how I just quit cold turkey. I'm not, I never could be, I'm a nicotine addict and obviously a fairly weak willed person. I had tried everything over time. I loved smoking and would probably love it again. When I first started with e-cigs my intention was to cut out every other cigarette. It's less scary to think that way.

Is it completely 'safe'? I don't know. I am convinced it's less dangerous than cigarettes for me and others around me.

Is it completely 'safe'? I don't know. I am convinced it's less dangerous than cigarettes for me and others around me.

yes I agree, it is less dangerous for all, I also have to say that when I first started vaping I didnt get the nasty cough when you first give up smoking.

While Champix are not suitable for everyone, they worked for me. If you qualify for free prescriptions the whole cost is zero (apart from the costs of getting to see the smoking nurse)

I quit smoking on 26th October 2011 and while I could still murder a 'fag', I didn't crave anything

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I have been off the cigs now for just over two months with the help of Champix, I dont crave a cig any more, with me i wanted to give them up but found i needed just that little extra help and found it in Champix. I have been smoking for 44 years and started smoking when i was 14 years old. It got to the stage

that i was smoking 30 a day.To me anyway i think you must want to give up smoking because its just like been on drugs when it comes down to stopping the cigs,,,you stop and they just keep knocking on the door in your head asking to be let in again, and yes they do win, this is were champix comes into its own, it blocks the cigs from knocking so there is no one to open the door to, But the most important thing to do is to go seek advice from your doctor or nurse. Best thing i ever did was to kick the cig into touch, sorry i never did it years ago.

I spoke to my friend today who has used these, and has not smoked since February! She said they are amazing, and swears by them - even to the point were she doesn't even have a morning one now!

I have my plan in place and know when I'm giving up - both me and my OH, and I'm quite looking forward to it! :-D

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

I have to say that I still have not smoked after using this e cigarette. I have saved so much money as well.. I have to state though that Im finding it hard to find a coffee I like now, my whole taste for food is completely different now.

Good luck :)

• 5 months later...