• Tweets

• I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down. - Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either. - Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr) - Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs beared to you. - May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) basically saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475. - Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt". That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount. As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked. I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom.  Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'? Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me? I'm not after any moral judgment.
    • take the SD card out and put on a pc/laptop then run recuva on it in  select videos only option select specific location hit browse then select drive letter of the SD card. then next  then deep scan then go have a cup of tea..  when done dont recover the all files back to the card select a new folder on your pc/laptop        
    • hi all, i will list my curmcumstance first then list the details of the penalty charge - we are 2 diabled people being affected by the cost of living crisis and are skint etc. i am disabled with mobility issues(arthritis in knees and ankles and gout) and cant operate car pedals anymore so i let a friend up the road use my car in exchange for her driving me about. its a good arrangement as i get a 'chauffer' and she gets the use of car. the car is parked in her drive which is better as i was refused a disabled space (even on appeal) and too much congestion to park the car outside my house. my friend is vulnerable as she has suffered depression and suicidal thoughts since the loss of her mother a few years back, she is dyslexic, she is a carer for one of her sons that is disabled due to mental illness and mobility. she lives in a council house and cannot work. we went to iceland ..attracted by the 10items for £10 offer - we've never been there before. a large artic lorry was parked accross the car park blocking the view of one of the parking signs and blocking the disabled bays where the pay&display machine is. by the time she helped me out of the car and then went to see if it was pay&display then came back to me at the car she said she thinks it was pay even for disabled, so we looked for change in the car which we didnt have (she normally goes asda which dont need to pay for parking)so then we said we'd either go get change or go to asda...so then by the time it took her to help me back in and get out the car park took 15 minutes...5 minutes overstay past the 10minutes grace. the letter from excel parking came through and i sent it back giving her name as driver (before i saw on here that you shouldnt name the driver) then i appealed explaining what happened (lorry blocking etc) and even said we were being descriminated (advised by citizen advice)as we are disabled and 15minutes is not long enough for a crippled disabled man and a woman with dyslexia to read and understandd the sign and get out, then back in the car and look for change then get out the car park in 15minutes. i even explained she was a vulnerable person on anti-depressants and even sent a photo of medication and said if you need a doctors note then let me know....the appeal was rejected. i've emailed iceland over 50 times and they just wont tell excel to cancel this charge - they are ignorant and ive even asked them why they have a webpage saying 'iceland combatting the cost of living crisis' pretending to help their customers and they wont comment...they'd rather put more stress and anxiety on an already suicidal vulnerable person just to get money out of them..so their 'help' during this crisis is a lie as it wont even extend to disabled customers. she has now received 2 letters from DCBL saying she owes £170 for 5minutes of overstay. the last one is a final demand. as she cant read or write very well ive sent a recorded letter to DCBL (as advised by citizen advice) asking not to attend the property due to a vulnerable woman inside the property as it will only exasperate the situation, they have ignored it and basically said we dont care, you still owe. could anyone please advise - we are not very good with letters or these situations and are slow on the uptake.   1 The date of infringement? 28th dec 2023   2 Have you yet appealed to the parking company yet? [Y/N?] yes   If you have then please post up whatever you sent and how you sent it and the date you sent it, suitably redacted. [as a PDF- follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   Has there been a response? yes   Please AS A PDF FILE  ONLY ..post it up as well, suitably redacted. - follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   If you haven't appealed yet - .........DONT ! seek advice on your topic first.   Have you received a Notice To Keeper? (NTK) [must be received by you between 29-56 days] yes   What date is on it? 15th january 2024   Did the NTK provide photographic evidence? yes   [scan up BOTHSIDES to ONE PDF of the PCN and your NTK - follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'scant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   3 Did the NTK mention Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA) [Y/N?] not on the front - maybe on the back but cannot find the letter now   4 If you appealed after receiving the NTK, did the parking company give you any information regarding the further appeals process? [it is well known that parking companies will reject any appeal whatever the circumstances] yes   5 Who is the parking company? excel   6. Where exactly [Carpark name and town] did you park? gravesend in iceland    
    • Hi Dave, I had no updates on this PCN since my last post in July 2019.  I received no further communications from the parking company.  I changed my address in May 2022. Thanks, I will send a letter to Excel parking to inform about the change in the address. 
    • I have a BMW Advanced Car Eye 3 Pro - I think it's 50/50  In any case, none of the documents / photos sent in the SAR showed a ticket on the car. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TAX CREDIT OVERPAYMENT - Notional Offset How Does this Work

hales7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I was wondering if their is anyone here can help. I am going out of my mind with worry. Stupidly I never told the tax credits people that my partner moved back in with my Sept 2010. The reason for this was I he was not working and I did not know how long we would last. He had an affair and we had split up this was just a trial to see things worked out for us. Anyway, to cut a long story short he as not worked since returning to live with me. I had a letter Jan this year saying that my claim as a single person was under review because they had reason to believe I was living with a partner through a credit reference agency that they use. I immediately call them and said this was an oversit on my part and gave them the correct date he moved back in with me but told them he as not had a job since this date. I have now received 2 letters one saying on I owe 5k for 2010 and one saying I owe 9k for 2011. I have also received a letter saying my Tax Credit Claims have now Stopped. I call them and told them my situation they said they would send a claim form out straight away and went through with me whether I qualify or not. I was told to put joint claim in and it would be back dated however I have been told today that this will only be done for 3 mths. I have been racking the internet for help as I really do not know how I am to pay over 15k back and there is something call notional offset can anyone give me advice. I feel that it I have to pay this debt I might as well give up my home my job and my life basically. When my husband had his affair it changed me and I have never been the same person and now with this to deal with on top I really really dont know what to do.

I have had a similar situation, told them partner been with my since 2010 now got over payment bills for 2 year one saying 5k and one for 9k have spoken to the overpayment team today and made arrangement to pay back alittle each month until my joint claim is sorted. I have been told that this will only be back dated 3mths though and anything else I will need to pay back, however I have read about the notional team who can off set and back date further. I have been told this as to be when my joint claim is accepted. I am really worried. I have a low income my partner is not working and this could mean me losing my house. I am across this thread today and so glad. This is all I can think about sitting here at work right now feeling sick

I have to tell my partner tonight about the overpayment amount and what it means to our budget the next ten years or so. Not even sure if I will get anything reduced from my 15k bill. Joint claim or not I now have this hanging over us like a big dark cloud. x

I never imaged i would have to pay back that amount but it is every single penny they paid me from the date I should have informed them that my partner had moved in even though we would have probably got more if I had claimed as a couple. I just told them the truth and I do feel better, I would say they have been very understanding in helping me make arrangements to pay which is going to take a very very long time I feel better that there is going to be no investigation. I would advise anyone with anything to declared does it as soon as possible to avoid getting into the mess I have. I have been told there will be no furhter charges or investigation which is the main thing. xx

folle, I have been reading your thread today and really do feel for you I have been going through the same thing as you for over a week I received my letter on friday telling me how much I must pay back and was so scared this morning when I call them. But things have worked out and although I am going to be worst off financially I really do feel I can now breath easy knowing they are not going to be snopping with all my financial and personal information. If you really want this to end. Just let the know everything even if you do end up owing them its better than the way you are feeling right now I could image. xx

I never imaged i would have to pay back that amount but it is every single penny they paid me from the date I should have informed them that my partner had moved in even though we would have probably got more if I had claimed as a couple. I just told them the truth and I do feel better, I would say they have been very understanding in helping me make arrangements to pay which is going to take a very very long time I feel better that there is going to be no investigation. I would advise anyone with anything to declared does it as soon as possible to avoid getting into the mess I have. I have been told there will be no furhter charges or investigation which is the main thing. xx

If you should have got more, you really should go visit CAB about that, sorry but I just don';t see why people should be paying back money that they should have been entitled to anyway. Regardless of if they should have updated their circumstances. That's not right. The fact you didn't update your circumstances actually went against you. Don't thank them for being 'understanding'!? Of course there won't be any further charges or investigation, because if there was it would show them up to be immoral in the least!

That's just not right??? :|

hi hales, i have heard about this too so will be watching this thread with interest, have you sorted out your joint claim yet?we filled ours out last night and judging by the online calculator we were entitled to pretty much the same, they say he was living here from july 2010 so we have an 8k overpayment that i need to pay, if we are entitled to our new amount we would of been back then so that takes what i owe down a drastic amount. i will have a dig around on the internet later .

Hi Cranberryjuice, I only put in our joint claim Friday so until I hear back from them I can,t do anything however put a note on your joint claim before you send if not already done so, to ask for your joint claim to be looked at by this department. That way they can do it straight away. I didnt do this that is why I now apparently have to wait for mine to be dealt with first. Good Luck xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just wanted to up date you all. That today I have finally received my Claim accepted as a couple, and as advised this is just £2.00 more per month that if I was claiming as a single person. I have now asked that this be looked at by the Notional Offset team which they have said will be done today. Hopefully my huge amount owing to them should reduce to around 5k rather than the current 15k. I now can see light at the end of the tunnel and wanted you all to know that although very worring when first trying to sort out the mess we find ourselves in there is hope.

Hope you all get sorted quick.

xxxx

hi hales, i have had my new award through too,along with back payment of 15 weeks??????

did you?

i will be contacting the regarding the notional offset very soon, as soon as i get the payment - meant to be tomorrow, i was actually entitled to nearly the same so am hoping they will quash most of it.

lets keep each other updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - i am in the same situation - had my single claim stopped, stupidly allowed my boyfirend to use my address for credit and it showed on my credit file as a financial association, plus he was staying over around 4 nights a week, hence I received the letter for reviewing 2 years 2010/2011 and 2011/2012.

They have asked me to pay back 9K from 2011/2012. I have now put in a new joint claim as he has moved in full time. The figure they have estimated on the new claim is much the same as it was on the now stopped single claim.

They have told me that they can only backdate it to the date I received my last payment under the single claim which would be 4 weeks ago - should I have asked for them to backdate it 3 months.?

I will be asking for the notional offsetting when the joint claim is accepted as I wasn't aware you could have this done until the last few days.

Really worried about what will happen if they don'y accept my request, when I do it, for notional offsetting as I have read on Citizens Advice site that if the error was found due to a compliance check rather than the claimant notifying them, that they may not consider offsetting.

Also how long are the new joint claims taking to go into payment ?

Cranberryjuice - did you ask for backdating or was it done automatically?

Having to borrow money to survive so would like to try and work out an estimate on how much they will pay.

Take care

x

hi hales, i have had my new award through too,along with back payment of 15 weeks??????

did you?

i will be contacting the regarding the notional offset very soon, as soon as i get the payment - meant to be tomorrow, i was actually entitled to nearly the same so am hoping they will quash most of it.

lets keep each other updated.

Hi - how long did the new joint claim take to process to payment - did they automaticallt backdate it or did you ask for ths to be done

Thanks

D

x

they backdated and paid us 3months, cant understand why though!!!!

had an 8k bill today from them with 12 months to pay....ok then....will ring them next week regarding offestting it - should reduce bu 5.5k,will let you know how i get on....

Hi - thanks for letting me know about the backdating.

How long did it take for you to start getting payments from your joint claim after you had sent it in ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

HI all, thought i would just update, called the overpayment team today (4 weeks after getting the bill for 8k!)

they will not do a notional offset as i have a new joint claim, but could of if i had a single claim - how silly!

So I have set up a repayment plan of 67 pounds a month for the next 10 years - lovely!

would be so much easier if they could take it out of my new claim,im so cheesed off!

HI all, thought i would just update, called the overpayment team today (4 weeks after getting the bill for 8k!)

they will not do a notional offset as i have a new joint claim, but could of if i had a single claim - how silly!

So I have set up a repayment plan of 67 pounds a month for the next 10 years - lovely!

would be so much easier if they could take it out of my new claim,im so cheesed off!

Hmm - think they have told you wrong on the Notional Offsetting - could have done it if you claimed single - so what would they have offsett it against.

From what I understand and have been told by HMRC Notional offsetting is when they look at what you would have been paid ,if the claim where the overpayment has come from ,was made in the correct capacity as a joint claim. They can deduct what you should have been paid as joint from what you were paid as single thus reducing the overpayment.

This confirms as well

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ccmmanual/CCM15725.htm

I would contact the helpline and ask them to refer the overpaid award to the Notional Entitlement Team, who are a different department to the team that deal with setting up a repayment plan. (D & B - Debt & Banking ?)

Hi,

I just got my letters telling me how much i owe for 2010 -2012 ... a grand total of £14,000. Unsure what i'm supposed to do next. Can anyone help me with this. Was reading on another thread were someone was fined as well as having the overpayment. Do I contact HMRC and ask them to agree a repayment plan with me? :-(

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

Just thought I would pop back with an update to my previous threads re Tax Credit overpayment. I last spoke to the Tax Credits 2 months ago and since April I still have heard nothing from the notional offset team apparently they have no time scale to work from. I am paying the 15k overpayment back monthly with a real struggle. I feel quiet angry with myself for putting us in this postion. As anyone else had any luck with the notional offset team would love to hear if you have :!:

Hi Hales7

i had to pay back about 12 grand, as they would not accept anything i was telling them, even though i sent the proof, still was not enough

i wish i had tried to offset it, but i was to ill and now paying back £50.00 per month, i dont see why we should have to pay money back which

we should have been entitled to. let us know how you get on

folle xx