Jacobs: Notice Of Attendance to seize goods

Binny
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry, if this has been asked before, but i'm in quite abit of disaray at the moment, and i don't have a clue what i can do.

I have a shared letterbox, and granted i can hold my hands up and say, "I haven't payed my council tax" but i honestly don't know what to do. I got a letter today, posted through my letterbox, no envolope which leads me to believe that someone has been around presumable a bailiff. The letter staits;

Jacobs

NOTICE OF ATTENDANCE TO SEIZE GOODS

AMOUNT DUE NOW : £1082.26 + FEES

TAKE NOTICE we are in possession of a Liability Order issued by the Magistrates Court and i have today attended your property to seize goods for the above debt and costs.

1. PAYMENT IN FULL IS NOW DUE. Please contact me on (xxxx xxxxx) For details on how you can make payment

2. At this stage i can offer you an arrangement to pay this deby by instalments over a short period of time )the amount of the weekly / monthly patyments will be dependant on your personal / financial circumstances and out clients guidlines)

3. If you are claiming incomse support or job seekers allowance please contace one of our offices immediately with full details. we may be able to offer you and extended period in which to pay.

Any arrangement to pay by instalments is made to subject to our bailiff calling to your propery and compleating the relevant paperwork (this will incur a satutary fee) AND you making an immediate payment.

Now, i phone up to make a payment arrangement, and the woman on the other end of the phone was snotty as hell, and said she dosen't think that the bayliff wpould take a payment scheme, and would want the money in full. now i can barely live off what i earn at the moment, and have about £10/15 spare at the end of the week, After rent, bills and food and whatnot, So, i ask you what can i do :(

PS; Please help this is killing me on the inside.

Hi binny,

Have a good look through this site and you will find all the information you need about bailiffs and council tax.

Lets deal with the bailiffs first.

Bailiffs cannot come into your home to sieze goods unless you let them in, do not, I repeat, do not let them in under any circumstances, do not open the door to them, they will try every trick in the book to gain entry, can I use your phone/toilet, i'm a nice guy I won't take anything today etc etc. They have no power of entry. If you have a car registered to you-hide it, do not park outside your home.

Bailiffs can however, enter through a open window or door, so keep windows shut.

There is a template letter on here somewhere to send to the bailiffs, you need to look for it. Watch out for bailiffs charges, they all try to overcharge you. Do your research on here and you will find everything you need.

Above all try not to worry to much, I have had loads of trouble with bailiffs in the past over parking tickets, since joining this site and pepipoo I have had a huge wieght lifted of my shoulders.

Go to the department of constitucianal affairs website and the CAb website and print of the information about bailiffs, it will put your mind at rest.

The best advice is this, nice cup of tea, packet of choccy bikkies and a couple of hours browsing this site.

Good luck.

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

In the meantime binny try and make some kind of payment, however small, to your local council.

Do it through the internet or automated telephone payment system that your council hopefully operate as they will try not to accept it if you go down in person or send a cheque or PO - they'll say its in the hands of the bailiffs and you have to deal with them.

Dealing with the bailiffs is the last thing you should do, follow rambo's advice and have nothing to do with them. To stall them if necessary, write and ask for full details of every charge they have made on your account. As most bailiff firms do not keep anything resembling proper records, if they do send anything back you may well be easily able to pick very large holes in their charges.

Once your small payment has been made to the council, keep it up if you can. If the bailiffs do get in touch, tell them that you are paying the council direct, they have been accepting payments, and that the debt is nothing to do with the bailiff's company. Trust me, bailiff firms absolutely HATE this happening! Tell them if they have incurred any fees to ask the council for them!

Plus, if you are not already claiming council tax benefit, get a form asap and get it filled in and sent back to the council.

Try not to worry about any more letters from the bailiff, as long as you can start making small payments to the council they won't have a leg to stand on.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

"One of the most awkward things that can happen in a pub is when your pint-to-toilet cycle gets synchronised with a complete stranger." - Peter Kay