Suspension causing problems as one can't contact key people.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

thought i'd run this by anyone with any experience and see what they think or advise.

Best friend has just been suspended from work on full pay until an internal issue is resolved.

The issue is really of no concern as he is not at fault but he has been told because of protocol,

procedures have to be adhered to.

He has been told he cannot contact anyone related to his job until investigations are finished.

The main concern is he is not contactable as his phone has had to be given to HR and email account can't be accessed.

Its taken him many years to have built up this network of quite unique people.Now through no fault of his own he is non contactable.

He has raised this concern to HR and his manager of what damage can become of this if it drags its heels but they don't seem to understand the full impact of him not been contactable.

Its taken 15 years of hard work to acquire this network it could all be lost through these peoples incompetence.

The most worrying aspect is he has been told it might take sometime to resolve but 'don't worry as your getting full

pay and enjoy it'.

The 1,2,3 or even 4 months of salary will be of no use to him if he is left out in the dark for much longer.

Anyone?

I read your post as expressing concern that due to the suspension an entire network of business contacts may be lost (ie they may cease doing business as their main contact has disappeared)?

If so, then the only real avenue open to your friend is to express his concerns by way of a grievance, if only to suggest that somebody else takes on the phone and email monitoring whilst he is out of contact. Surely it would be in the employers best interests to agree to this?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

All the above was suggested straight away to his manager but its gone over their heads.

As what my friend does is quite different to what rest of team do they don't quite get it.

Bringing up a grievance was discussed when i had a chat with him but this won't help as

there are also procedures that have be done in bringing one up and again a time limit.

He has stressed the implications to his boss and HR but they just don't get it.

Their main concern is the main investigation at the moment.

If he has received reassurance that this is only a procedural matter and that he will be cleared, then I don't see that there is anything which can be done but to let it run it's course. If the employer has a stated procedure and is acting within that framework then it is perfectly lawful, especially since the suspension is with pay. Likewise regarding the ban on contacting people in the workplace - this is a lawful request, and if breaching it, your friend could quite legitimately be facing a separate charge of Gross Misconduct.

He does need to document his concerns over his list of contacts and the forced lack of contact so that in the event of this causing problems when he returns there will be evidence to prove that he sought to minimise the damage that would be caused, but at the end of the day, it is their business and theirs to harm if they chose to. I see no way to force them to change their mind.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

As you quite rightly say'I see no way to force them to change their mind'.

Unfortunately I feel he already knows damage has been done and that he has tired to minimize

it but by the indications he has been getting this case is going to drag on a while.

The dilemma he is in now is that although things are bad enough now how bad can they get

and what can he do about it.

He has been told his job is secure but the way he is looking at it, is his career could be finished

if he doesn't do something pretty soon.

Had another chat last night and he's going to try one more time to see if something can be done.

During conversation I asked how secure job was he said he is contracted up to October.

So I think this is what the main concern is.

If his contract isn't renewed in October he will be in even more trouble.

Although its a companies right to conduct internal matters the best they see them

surly there must be something within that framework which has the employees rights

to be taken into consideration.Especially in this case as he has highlighted the situation

and asked for something to be done.

I am new to this forum...but just read your post with much interest.

Firstly how did he get on?

I ask this as I was also suspended from my workplace. I had worked there for 25yrs and had a good reputation. The DWP prosecuted me for benefit fraud....a case which I easily won (and want to sue them for...another matter).

However because at work, I was in a possition of trust and responsibility....I felt that I could no longer effectively continue in my possition and handed in my notice. Because the fraud was nothing to do with my company, plus I was pleading not guilty, makes me think that the suspension was harsh and unnessasary. So for this reason I see a similarity with your friend. I don't believe I should have been suspended and I could have carried on with my career.

Did your friend sue his company?

Well its early days 3rd week in.

Suing company hasn't crossed his mind he is just trying to make them see sense.

Like Sidewinder stated legally they havn't done anything wrong at the moment

other than suspend someone[or get someone out of way] while they clear up a

problem in his department.

Will he get dragged into to it is something else to consider.

He has made it clear now how he see's it which is the longer he is suspended someone will have to

be held accountable.

Thats all he can do.Further up the line is another matter which i think he could do

with some advice.