Auto Renewal Problem

Madferret
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently took my car off the road for repairs, and let my car insurance lapse while I did so, but my car insurance got Auto Renewed. The problem was that I moved 6 months ago and my mail was never forwarded, and the new address (apparently) wasn't given (although I'm sure I did). The only reason I found out was the extravangent premiums they charged to my account. They took 2 sums of £126 in 2 weeks, when last year it was £47ish, this caused all sorts of problems for the rest of the month, leaving me little to leave on and causing a few bounced cheques, which I caused me a couple of (now resolved) problems with debt collection agencies.

I put my complaint forward to the complaints department who giave me a run-down of how they saw it, saying they sent a letter, gave me a list of charges etc etc, but they are still pursuing me for another £35, which I feel is just too much. They also stated that I auto-renewed from last year and this gives them premise for this year, last years policy was on a different car and this year made no mention of auto renewal at all (last years duidnt either). I've contacted the ombudsman (last week) but I've not recieved anything back yet.

Also because its getting on a bit now, they've given the debt to a collection agency, who have charged £25, and are threatening another £25 in 7 days time.

Is there anything I can do?

Regards

Nick

The problem really is that you should of confirmed your new address, and they would of confirmed the change back to you; and if they did not you should of checked again, as it is a condition of your insurance that you inform them of any changes that may affect your policy, and an address change is certainly one those.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Do you remember when you called them to give the new address as they have all calls recorded?

you can ask them to search the call logs from the phone you called from etc (e.g give them your number or estimated datesyou could have called them).

They can see who had accessed your files in those dates etc.

Let us know what happens with the ombudsman