GHD Straighteners - RESULT!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think the people over at GHD must be having a load of complaints.... and are responding less helpfully as time has gone on.

I have sent 2 pairs back to them in the past and had them repaired free of charge. My friend also sent a pair back and had hers repaired free of charge. Neither of us had the receipt, but went overboard about how an appliance costing in excess of £100 should be expected to last longer than 14 months without blowing up (slightly dramatic, but hey ho).

Quoting the Sale of Goods Act, 1979 may have helped.... Mentioning that their company is now featured on CAG with many people having a similar problem may also help... ;)

Good luck...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ok... the comments I would pick apart are :

They say that it was manufatured in 2003 and the problem was related to the cable which has since been rectified ? Obviously not, since a programme was made about GHD irons blowing up and it is still happening. It is also a very common problem... as has been witnessed on here.

Furthermore, it should have been made to withstand daily usage anyway... I bought an iron (for clothes) from Tesco for £4.95 several years ago... use it loads... and that hasn't blown up in my face. Neither have any of my other electrical appliances, including hair dryers ! They are trying very hard to wriggle out of any responsibility here... by saying that it's to be expected.. wear & tear, etc..

They have also implied that it's your fault by putting "undue strain" on the cable :mad: . How exactly do you do that then ? :D It's used to style hair... not to hang things from !

They are no longer able to support this type of iron as the parts are no longer available ? Duff then, were they ? Why else would you alter the components of a product ? How convenient....

They are taking advantage of the fact that you have no receipt in order to fob you off. Unfortunately, having no receipt doesn't help you... so all you can do is argue back and stand your ground. The fact they are now charging you for the return of the irons is appalling customer service ! If they are not built to last a reasonable amount of time... then they are hugely over-priced for their intended lifespan.

You need to get your irons back... but keep the pressure up. Ask them for clarification on the lifespan for a pair of these things... mention the CAG... that scores of others have had similar problems... and if they are not prepared to take the matter seriously, that you will gain the support of members on here to take things further and raise public awareness.

Have you seen Bookworm's letter on Page 1 of this thread ?

• Haha 1

By the way, did you notice the Without Prejudice...hmmmm me thinks they have something to hide:-D

Yes... I did notice the Without Prejudice bit 8) . I also thought afterwards about checking the flex on yours when you get them back.... seeing as they are talking about wear and tear, etc... As I see it, unless the wires were exposed from inside the flex in the first place and were touching each other... then how could the sparks have been generated to blow it up, so to speak ? :wink:

I just remembered that I paid for my GHD"s by Barclaycard....so I will have details on my statement. I was also wondering if I would have any reproach through Barclaycard,for faulty goods, given the evidence of the court case etc etc, even though time has passed by!!:wink:

Excellent !! ... and yes, you should be able to go through Barclaycard as well. :D

• 3 weeks later...

"Your iron is 32 months old".... and well covered by the Sale of Goods Act, 1979 (6 years), which I'm sure they're aware of.... but are hoping you're not. They are therefore legally obliged to repair it free of charge and I would push with this one...

Alternatively, if they want you to go to court with it, armed with Watchdog reports.... and copy letters from CAG members who have received the same tripey letters as you've just had... then that's ok too.

If they want to protect their reputation.... then they'd better play the game properly and start treating their customers with some respect.

• 2 weeks later...

What a STUPID letter from the retailer !!! :mad:

1. That doesn't make the blindest bit of difference, if you are the person with the receipt !!! :rolleyes:

2. Of course it hasn't taken you 4 years to decide they are faulty; they have developed a fault within the timeframe stipulated by the Sale of Goods Act, 1979 !! :rolleyes:

3. Only able to refund within 14 days of purchase ?! Whose leg is she trying to pull ? :rolleyes: .... the 14 days don't stand when a product is faulty and they are covered by a standard 1 year manufacturer's guarantee anyway. :rolleyes:

4. Well, she would say that, wouldn't she ? Suggest she joins the CAG. Meanwhile, just hope her shoes have rubber soles !! :rolleyes:

How old was this person... 12 ??!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, did that with the first letter. The second one from them below;-

As I stated before, you do not appear to be the registered owner of the fore mentioned GHDs, but I will presume you are acting on their behalf(?)

This is of no consequence... you don't need to register yourself as a user of electrical products in order to cover yourself against faulty merchandise. As I said I do not agree that the GHDs were faulty at purchase and after 4 years use and abuse(!!!!) that they have simply reached the end of their life span.

Use and ABUSE ?!! I would be inclined to take this little accusation higher....

If standard plate GHDs were purchased, I am not totally sure that section 75 of the consumer credit act actually applies. Who said anything about the Consumer Credit Act ? It's The Sale of Goods Act and seeing as she comes across as a bit thick anyway.... it doesn't really matter what she thinks.... only what that Act covers you for. states goods valued between 100 to 30000 are covered under section 75. GHDs were retailing at under 100 and thus fall under that limit. Not sure what she's trying to refer to here... but would be inclined to ask which part of "The Consumer Credit Act" :rolleyes: she's referring to. If she's made a mistake, do a Google search for The Sale of Goods Act and check out section 75.

Summary, I do not agree that the GHDs were faulty and I will not be replacing them.

I think a lot depends on how much fight you have in you.... because it sounds like you're dealing with a right airhead !!

• 1 month later...

Bushwackah.... without re-reading the thread, I can't remember what your particular situation was with GHD, but if you look at the letter they sent you, they admit that your appliance is faulty !

"We can confirm that the fault on your irons was with one of the devices on the printed circuit board"

I would home in on this one.... they are confirming a fault in writing. I don't have my letter writing head on tonight, or would draft up a suitable response, but if you want to post your own draft up on here, I will edit it for you over the week-end.

:)

• 3 months later...

Sent a pair back to them this week.... 18 months old, already replaced once, with a copy of the receipt enclosed. Picked up a FREEPOST special delivery envelope from the salon... just said that they'd been bought a few months ago. ;)

Will let you know how it goes.... but, they'd better not try the old "wear & tear" trick on me. Really not in the mood for that old line.

I suspect I won't be on their list either. This is the third free pair they've had to send me !! :D

I assume that people need to have some kind of receipt (original or credit card)... need to check the flex is packed properly upon return (unwound ;) ) and quote the Sale of Goods Act in order to give Jemella no room to wriggle.... oh, and if they can't get hold of a pre-addressed returns envelope, to make sure that they use the FREEPOST returns address on a blank one from the post office ;) . The FREEPOST address is :

Jemella Ltd.

FREEPOST NAT3188

PO Box 397

Keighley

BD20 0BR

Would have cost me £6.00 otherwise ! ;)

Happy returning !!!!! :D

• Haha 1

3 letters later since my last post...still no reply :-(

Do you have any proof of when these were purchased... a credit card bill would do ? If you can lay your hands on something that proves the date, you can then quote The Sale of Goods Act to them and they will probably back down.

In theory, you could still quote The Sale of Goods Act to them without a receipt.... but your fight will be more difficult and I think they know this, especially if they still have hold of your irons.

If this was my situation, I would bypass the monkey at Customer Services and go for the Managing Director, but you'll need his/her name.... When a (rec. delivery) letter arrives addressed to an MD by name, then they know you mean business.... I've gone down this route with several other companies in the past, with great success.

:)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks