Audi issues

palexand
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My sister bought a 2008 Audi TT from a local Audi dealer on an HP agreement not too long ago. There has been a 'ticking' sound from behind the dash for some time, which she's tried to have fixed. Despite repeated attempts, more than five, the reason for the sound was not immediately identified by the garage.

She took the car in a few weeks ago regarding the nosie again - and was told the steering column needed replacing! It seems unlikely that these two issues are connected - can anyone shed any light on this?

She then picked the car up once the new column had beed fitted and drove away, with her 5 month old daughter beside her. She soon realised however that the steering was not working properly and had little control when trying to turn the car. She very carefully managed to return to the garage, quite upset. This had clearly been a very dangerous situation. Once the car had been checked again the after sales manager told her that because something had not been done to the ABS the steering would not work correctly - he was clealry extremely annoyed (with the mechanics) and offered my sister a weekend away fully paid for the inconvenience, which my sister promptly refused - she just wants to have a car that is safe.

Two things; (1) she feels unable to trust the garage now and clearly something has not been right with the car since she bought it - can she refuse to take it back? She has said she wants a different car but the garage have refused. Is this one of those cases where she'll need to go through the finance company as it's an HP agreement?

(2) Can she do anything about the dangerous situation the garage put her into? It is only by luck that perhaps something serious did not happen.

I should say that as she's just had her first baby recently this is all getting a bit much for her, and I offered to try and find out some info - she could well do without the hassle. Can anyone out there please help?

Thanks

Ok Briefly,

1. She can try but at this moment in time the dealer is correct. They have had one opportunity to fix the problem and cocked it up. These things can happen. She should insist they collect it and get it right so the car is useable and safe.

2. I think the garage has already done this to try and mitigate/rectify the situation and by the level of offer they recognise this. Perhaps she should have negotiated the offer for something else.

The upshot is that the garage has acted responsibly, and I expect a bit of back lash here, what difference does it make if a baby was involved though I appreciate the sensitivity of it. I would have the same issue if it was my wife or puppy I currently have. The legals situation will have or should have no bearing on this.

So take the potential emotions out of it and there is a car with a clicking noise.

There is a car with a clicking noise which the dealer diagnoses. They change the steering column. The car has handling problems which you are told is down to the ABS.

The reality is, and from experience of TT cars and many others is that the column has been fitted incorrectly. The cause is by not fitting in the correct position so that the steering angle sensor sends a signal which does not correlate to the yaw angle sensor and in turns sends the ABS potty.

This will only manifest itself when the car is driven over a set distance and time which is something the garage should have done.

So easy thing is to me to take up a negotiated offer such as a day in a Spa with you and sis and ask Sales manager to use the car over the weekend whilst you use his.

Seems like one of those things that can and unfortunately does happen.

Heliosuk

Appreciate your response which is pretty much where I thought she'd need to come from.

I think the reason she contacted me was to try and take the emotion out of the situation - that and the fact I used to work for the Court Service!

No more responses to the thread required - thanks.