Mortgage Fix charge- legal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6592 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

All this talk is about bank charges being unfair well how about £400 for fixing your mortgage at a low rate? Surely is this as unfair as being charged for going your overdraft. It doesn't cost the banks £400 for fixing it so why should it be charged to us the consumers.

Whats the legal side of this? I imagine you guys would have looked into this already. If not check the papers - there's a lot of talk about exit fees being refunded due to being unfair and so not legal.

Help me to help others!

Alan is correct.

To expand: They provide a service, you accept that service. Unlike the bank charges, where you can't really go anywhere else, since they all charge +/- the same, if you're not happy with the mortgage fixing charges, you don't have to go with them.

• 2 weeks later...

just juming on this!

what about the mortgage exit fees that there seems to be a stink about at the moment.

this is a fee for transferring information to a new lender that is now largely electronic and the charge has gone up from typically £50 to as much as £400 in recent years

this is obviously a penalty for leaving your mortgage provider.

my logic tells me it is the same as account bank charges?

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Help me to help others!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6592 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks