Quick question, car bought off second hand dealer, gearbox fault

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Just a quick one, my mother bought a car last week from a second hand dealer, only cost £1000, he insisted on cash, don't know whether this make any difference. Over the weekend she became unable to select 1st and 2nd gears. What are her rights of return, can we insist on her money back? or does she have to give him the chance to fix it?

I'm inclined to ask for her cash back because the trust has gone out of the "relationship", and I also don't like the feel of the car, I can't explain it but it just feels wrong, the suspension is WAY to hard,Ii should know as I used to co-drive a rally car and this suspension is harder than a tarmac rally cars, There's other "suspect" things too.

Thanx

Rbs £114 + contractual at 29.84% I won total=£125 no laughing it's a win

Don't moan about it DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT :D

Ok I just rang the garage and told them about the problem, He's coming to pick it up to look into it. He asked if she could drop it off but i said no, it's not road worthy, if she can't get 1st and 2nd she couldn't safely negotiate junctions and traffic lights He also said that he'd drove it a lot and not had problems so I'm expecting hassle with this.

My mother still insists that she doesn't want it, She's knocking on now and is really worried she's bought a dog. I know she'll never trust the car again so I really need to know if I can just ask for the money back now, without waiting for him to repair it.

Whoops he's just collected it, I just told him what had happened and he said leave it with him. He did say it might not be today though so my Mum has no car :(

I am looking at SOGA myself but I'm not all that good at legalese so any advice is most welcome

Ok just spoke to him on the phone and asked nicely for her money back, he agreed but not before he tried to persuade me to take a replacement, i politely refused and explained she was going to keep her old car now.

I will be going to collect her cash tomorrow, hopefully without any problems.