EDF Pre=payment Meter (Gas) to recover a debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

wee bit of advice needed if possible. Short version of the story is that my HBOS bank account was hacked several times and as a result various DD' were cancelled. One was EDF, which the bank cancelled in error as they should have cancelled Npower (Homecare). anyway, i wasnt aware that this happened and we then switched banks to Barclays who did a DD transfer. Last week a lad from EDF turned up at the house and put a card thru saying phn him in 24 hours or they will get a warrent to force entry and install a pre-payment meter, Even tho the gas meter is outside.

My wife was at home with the baby (wife suffers from PTSD and post natal depression, as our little girl was born at 27 weeks, and had a lot of probs in hospital). she called me and I called him back. he stated he was sent by EDF, and needed in the house to get a reading so they can decide what action to take. I advised the meter was outside in the cupboard.

He went back and took a reading then called me back with these options:

1. Pay £329.47 today and everything will be fine

2. agree to a pre-payment meter being installed (at no charge) and they will take the debt back from that

3. do neither and EDF will get a warrent to install it anyways

Now, I cannot afford to pay in full, so my only option is a pre-payment meter. He called the office and got an instalation date of 31st August for this.

We will have to pay bak £10 PER WEEK plus any gas we use. This will be approx £90 per month, which at this stage I cannot afford. I advised of this, ran thru all my figures (I pay £450 per month for diesel for the car) and his response was " well you either agree to the £10, or we will just take that anyway as its all done by bluetooth to the meter"

HELP. can anything be done to force EDF to accept a lower repayment on the debt?

Thanks in advance for any advice

dont let them in I've been through this, complain ASAP to Ofgem and get to CAB too, the threats of warrants to gain entry (in theory yes they can) are no different to debt collectors. Ring EDF energy telling them you can afford to pay £10 a week on the debt plus the bills as they come, ask them for a payment card to do this. This EDF bloke was no more then a DCA and had as much powers all he was doing was bullying you into paying. speak to EDF you may get a different response

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

thats the thing though. At £10 a week, with the current £67 per month gas charge is £110 per month PLUS the electricty at £60.. There is no way i can afford to do that and keep up with everything else. Sometimes i just feel like letting the mortgage lender reposess the house, and telling everyone else hounding us to bolt.

Hi, jokerdisco.

I've unapproved your duplicate thread on this matter.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

you need to organise a fair ddeb to cover usage and debt..... give them a reasonable offer, and try to check you statements... to prevent these things happening..... with a bill of £329, this has accrued over a period of 4mths +, in these 4mths no payment has been made, therfore you uys have had more money to spend...

As i said.....

Keep an eye on statements to make sure bills are being paid....

Make a reasonable offer, and they should play ball, if you can make a token payment this might soften them up.

speak to EDF over the phone ask is there a better tariff you can switch to, sorry I put £10 a week I meant £10 a month to clear debt, you must offer something otherwise they will fit a meter, also say that at the moment you are struggling to pay and that when things improve financially you will be able to pay more to clear debt. have you spoken to debt advisor either at CAB or local council?

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)