• Tweets

• no DCA is a bailiff end of neither do they have any legal powers whatsoever. i would write to everyone simply giving your current abroad address , inc proof of residency. that will stop all threats going to anywhere else.  
    • Thanks for your prompt reply. I have some questions, please: When you say nothing will happen, my 80 year-old mother is worried about potential DCA doorsteppers if/when the debts are sold on - she is a very sweet, quite vulnerable lady and she is worried she may be bullied and harrassed.  If they do come knocking, what should she say?  I told her to say she knows nothing about any of it and they have no right to come knocking on her door and to warn them police will be informed if they come back.  Problem is, I don't think she would be strong enough and can easily be bullied into saying more than she intended once the door has been answered. Next questions: 1)  Should I inform all my lenders that I have moved abroad before defaulting (to avoid the quirky English law loophole thingy that could end up in a CCJ or worse once a DCA gets hold of it)?  2)  Can/should I provide an alternative UK correspondence address to my lenders instead of my mother's home address e.g. my virtual office address for my business - would the lenders accept this as I live abroad now and don't live at my mother's address?  Can I just write and tell them, without any further ado and not get into any further questions about it and cease further correspondence with them and default?  And would this stop DCAs coming to my mother's house as it would not be my current residential address on the lenders files when passed to the DCA?  Do they doorstep previous addresses? 3)  If I don't provide a UK correspondence address will I be at risk of not being aware of any Letters of Claim etc and legal proceedings notices etc not reaching me (there's no reliable postal system in the developing country I've moved to).  Worried this would mean I could end up being taken to court without being aware of it and could end up in a worse situation. 2) What exactly will go on my credit file once I've defaulted, assuming no legal action is taken against me?    4) Should I contact any of my lenders and inform them I have zero assets.  TSB & Sainsburys already have I&E info from me which shows my income  @ £1200/mth is below the combined total of my debt repayments @ £1300/mth and that my income only just covers essential costs of living @ £1200/mth.  Could it be useful to be on my file that I have no assets, so that the DCA clearly see this when the debt is passed to them? Thanks again for any advice.
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • paypal, but i would like to know if anyone knows if there is a certain time limit they have to refund you? thanks
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lettings agency mistake end up costing e money

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4683 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've made this little pastebin entry with the email corespondance

1. Hi Adam,

2. Nicola here, I was wondering If you could comfirm the moving out day for us? Also what is the handover proceedure and how quickly can we expect to recieve our deposit?

3. Kind Regards,

4. Nicola.

5. Hi Nicola, hope your well.

6. The move out date is Wednesday 27th July, we will be in contact nearer the time to confirm a convenient time to do the checkout.

7. Please ensure the property is clean and tidy and you have got the meter readings to close your accounts. The deposit is returned to you within 10 days of receiving the keys back if there are no issues.

8. Kind regards

9. Adam

10. Hi Nicola

11. Adam is currently on annual leave, and I believe you should be moving out of the property on Thursday 21st July as this is the last day of your tenancy.

12. However, the attached email appears to contradict this - have you arranged something with Adam? If so, could you please confirm how you are paying the extra £128.22.

13. Kind Regards

14. Karen

15. Hi Karen

16. I can confirm we are not paying the extra, We did not arrange something different with Adam. I asked Adam what day we needed to be out by to confirm details and arrange movers. Adam told me 27th of July.

17. Kind Regards,

18. Nicola.

19. Hi Nicola

20. I am afraid that what Adam may told you has no bearing on when you actually have to move out - your signed AST is a legal document and therefore this overrides what may have been said in error.

21. Should you not pay the difference it will be classed as a non-payment of rent, will be taken from your deposit and it will be reflected in any reference requests we may have to complete.

22. Please confirm if you wish to stay until the 27th, and if so would you like your checkout to be done at c11am or c4pm.

23. Kind Regards

24. Karen

25. Hi Karen,

26. Whilst I recogniise that the ast is a legal document, Adam is acting as the representative of your organisation and we are acting on his say so (documented in the email as you saw). I understand your need to rectify his mistake however changing the arranged date to less than 72 hours from now is obviously unacceptable. I do not accept that you will remove additional monies from my deposit. Had you attempted to resolve the issue with reasonable due notice I am sure we could have reached a suitable arrangement. However in this case its now too late.

27. Kind Regards,

28. Nicola

basically up until midnight last night, we thought we where moving out on the 27th of July. Then they tell us we have to move out on the 21st of July or pay the weeks extra rent. Surely they should have to pay the rent since it was there cock-up. Can I do anything or have they got me over a barrrel?

Sorry for giant paste, was in a pastebin link, but not allowed. If anyone has any ideas I would really love some help.

Angry and confused consumer.

I'm inclined to think that assuming that it was an obvious error that you'll have to pay the rent.

Both sides have an obligation to know what is due according to the tenancy.

If you'd overpaid on the rent because you made a mistake, would you expect the agent or landlord to refund you?

This isn't the landlord though, I believe the landlord should be paid, by the letting agency.

I also forgot to mention that the email that states the 27th of July is the only written confirmation I've recieved that the letting group want to regain the property.

Rent is due in any event. You are obligated to pay the rent due until you vacate the property. The arranged leaving date does not change that.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

UNLESS of course the representative EXPLICITLY agreed with you that that is the moving date AND no further rent is due. I suspect that the agreement was simply on moving date.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Explain taking it lying down? You are staying after the end of your tenancy, why would you expect to stay for a time rent free??? with the greatest of respect, it is you who has got it wrong here not the landlord.

The letting organisation misinformed me about our leaving date, as explicitly asked. If I would have known we should have been out by the 21st I would have done so obligingly. Emailing me two days before (when I have booked removal vans and set time aside to clean, and take the day off work to hand over keys) and telling me I have to leave a week eariler than stated or pay an extra 128 pounds is not giving me much to work with.

I have no issue with the landlord, it's the letting agents who have behaved irresponsibly by A) not proving two months notice in writting and B) giving me the incorrect leaving date. And finally C) contacting me 72 hours before I have to be out to tell me so, without as much as an apology for there error.

I would like to at this stage get back in my box and apologise. I have misunderstood the situation a bit, and I do now agree that this is an error on the part of the LA. I dont feel that the legal position neccessarily changes, but you do have my sympathy now as I have opened my blinded eyes and seen the light.

I mean there is an argument that I should have seen the date on the letting AST and known that I had to be out by then. But this is only the third place I've rented. The first two via by landlord, the first being a sub let and extremely friendly terms and the second being a more official landlord, but still a good guy, lots of open communication and a gentlemans (womans) agreement, he told me when to leave, I gave his house back the way I found it, and he gave me my deposit. All very straight forward. I've spent the day reading up about letting laws to try to get to grips with where I stand.

I think you're right from a legal stand, I can't do anything. But I feel so angry and impotent.

nicci, I assume 21 July is end of fixed term for AST and you are moving out voluntarily?

Please confirm date AST commenced, length of fixed term, whether rent paid weekly or monthly and amount due, as stated in AST.

You are obviously geared up to move on 27th (vans etc) and LA are prepared to let you stay to 27th for £128.22, thus saving you a lorra hassle and allow you to stick to your cleaning regime etc. Quite generous given the potential legal problems arising.

Attend the checkout inspection, take photos of any disputed damage, ensure you are given copies of move-in & move-out inspections. Thus you will minimise risk to your deposit. Try to negotiate with owner/manager directly for discount on extra rent due to his staff's (Adam) misleading statement, Offer a £100 as full & final settlement. (LA acts directly as agent for LL).

At end of day you are resp for rent for duration you stay in occup & knowing terms of your AST.

LA have offered you a rel cheap lifeline - use it. Keep hold of all emails/corr to date and beyond.

Regardless of what date the fixed term - if there is one - ends on, the tenant knows how much per week the rent is and knows when the tenancy began. Therefore the tenant was well able to work out how much rent is due up to and including July 27th.

The letting agent, Adam, did not mislead her as to the amount of rent due, as he did not mention an amount at all. He merely asked her to leave on the 27th.

They did not discuss money, so she could not have been misled by anything he said.