• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Council Tax Benefit Claim

im4347
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I need some urgent advice regarding my Council Tax Benefit, I receive Council Tax Benefit as I am on Working Tax Credits as I am in midst of setting up my own business, not trading at the moment. The only business expenses are BT bills and Broadband as I work from home and my business is mainly online. Due to the problems with banks/credit cards, I only have a basic bank account, therefore, my direct debits go through my brother's account. Recently, The Council asked for my expenses, which I provided, now they want to see my brother's bank statements as proof! My brother isn't too happy about disclosing his personal statements which has left me in a situation.

Are they allowed to ask for someone else's statements? What are the consumer rights regarding this?

I need to get back to the Council as soon as possible, as they cancelled my claim yesterday and sent me a revised bill for the rest of the year! I need urgent help to get my claim back on track as I cannot afford to pay it!!

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

IM

The council wants to see your expenses, it's up to you to let them see them. (It's not their problem you can't show them)

EDIT The council aren't asking to see someone else's statements

they are asking to see your statements

Edited by Life-Goes-On

Hi Life-Goes-On

Thanks for replying. The Council is clearly asking for my 'brother's' Bank Statements as proof, as my Direct Debits go from his Bank Account. My brother is helping me out financially until I start trading. I have provided all other info requested by the Council, i.e, income & expenditure, receipts and Bills for the Business.

IM

The council can ask for the bank statements and what ever else it deems necessary to process your claim.

As they have stopped your claim it is up to you to provide what they require. without it your claim will stay closed.

If they suspect any wrong doing (not that I am suggesting there is) they can get hold of the bank statements under there investigating powers.

Many basic bank accounts allow DD and SO these days

The council are asking for proof so they need to see your statements to confirm your figures.

As far as the council are concerned they don't care if it's your brothers account. To them if it contains your trasactions, then the statement of those transactions is yours.

EDIT

Could you get your brother to black out his transactions just leaving yours, and would council accept that?

There are two potential answers to this one.

They are entitled to ask for any information which they reasonably require in order to assess a claim. If the claimant does not produce that information within the time limit provided (usually one month), the benefit assessor is entitled to make an adverse inference and cancel/refuse the claim.

They should not however ask for information which is unreasonable. So, if you have submitted sufficient evidence in regard to your expenses and they do not require additional information to assess your entitlement, you could argue that the request is an unreasonable one.

My assumption would be that they want to ensure that the money paid into a third party's account is being paid out again for a legitimate business expense of the claimant's, and that the account is not being used to try and evade detection of additional income/capital belonging to the claimant.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

TBH I couldn't see asking for proof is unreasonable.

I have to say I agree. If you want to claim publicly funded money, you need to be able to prove your finances. It's not the council's fault if you decide to use a relative's bank account to make your transactions.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

TBH I couldn't see asking for proof is unreasonable.

Asking for proof is not unreasonable. What can be unreasonable is asking for proof when there is already sufficient proof and the proof they are asking for in addition would be unlikely to make a difference to the claim.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

If you say you can't supply any info they request, then the smoke alarms will go off, even if there isn't a fire.

EDIT

I get your point, Erika, but can't see how asking for bank statements to corroborate other info could be seen as unreasonable.

Edited by Life-Goes-On

Hi all thanks for replying.

They are entitled to ask for any information which they reasonably require in order to assess a claim. If the claimant does not produce that information within the time limit provided (usually one month), the benefit assessor is entitled to make an adverse inference and cancel/refuse the claim.

They should not however ask for information which is unreasonable. So, if you have submitted sufficient evidence in regard to your expenses and they do not require additional information to assess your entitlement, you could argue that the request is an unreasonable one.

My assumption would be that they want to ensure that the money paid into a third party's account is being paid out again for a legitimate business expense of the claimant's, and that the account is not being used to try and evade detection of additional income/capital belonging to the claimant.

The Council gave me 14 days to provide my brother's statements, to date I have provided them with the original BT Bills and Broadband Bills for the months requested, along with my bank account statements which has now been upgraded to a DD facility account, the Council are fully aware of this, but they require proof from the account the DDs are paid out.

The main issue here is that my brother is the one who does not wish to disclose his bank statements, I needed to know his legal rights in this matter.

It was cheaper for me to set up DDs than pay over the counter as I am on working tax credits and my bank account during thiis period did not allow this facility, so I had no choice but to save some money and pay via my brother's account.

IM

Hello again. I guess the council may be looking for a paper trail. Can you prove that the BT and Broadband bills were paid without your brother's bank statements? Playing devil's advocate for a minute, a request for payment doesn't prove that the bill was settled, if you see what I mean.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If you say you can't supply any info they request, then the smoke alarms will go off, even if there isn't a fire.

Of course they will. But that does not negate the right stipulated within article 8. The request must be reasonable and necessary.

Example: I submit a claim to Council Tax Benefit on the grounds of low income. I claim the childcare element of tax credit and let's say I pay my childminder by cash. Childcare costs are decuctible from CTB and I produce evidence of my CTC award, my childcare contract, my bank statements showing the same sum being taken out weekly for childcare and invoices from my childminder which correspond with the sums taken out of my account weekly. Insisting on my obtaining and sending them the childminder's accounts to ensure that the money I am taking out of my account is being paid to her would be an unreasonable and unesseccery request as the information already submitted is sufficient in terms of satisfying the evidential requirements.

The main issue here is that my brother is the one who does not wish to disclose his bank statements, I needed to know his legal rights in this matter.

IM

His legal right is not to make his bank statements available if he chooses not to do so. The council's legal right is to cancel your claim if you cannot produce evidence which is reasonably required in order to assess your entitlement.

Of course they will. But that does not negate the right stipulated within article 8. The request must be reasonable and necessary.

Example: I submit a claim to Council Tax Benefit on the grounds of low income. I claim the childcare element of tax credit and let's say I pay my childminder by cash. Childcare costs are decuctible from CTB and I produce evidence of my CTC award, my childcare contract, my bank statements showing the same sum being taken out weekly for childcare and invoices from my childminder which correspond with the sums taken out of my account weekly. Insisting on my obtaining and sending them the childminder's accounts to ensure that the money I am taking out of my account is being paid to her would be an unreasonable and unesseccery request as the information already submitted is sufficient in terms of satisfying the evidential requirements.

Thanks for the example.

You're a great asset to this site Erika.

Hi

The BT & Broadband Bills I provided the council clearly show that the bills have been paid as they are on a monthly basis, and the bills reflect this too, as it states that the amount will be taken via DD on or around xy date, then the following month the new bill shows that the last bill was paid and this is your new bill etc. I have provided the last 3 months to them for each Company.

IM

Blah - schoolgirl error. Childcare costs are not deductible from CTB, they are deductible expenses when considering CTB. I'm only human. Article 8, human. Geddit?!

I really need to get out more, don't I...

im4347, could it be that what they are trying to establish perhaps is that you are paying money into your brothers account for the bills, and that he is not paying for them himself to help you out? Regular assistance from family members like this can be taken as additional income. They may also want to see that the money you place is his account is actually for paying the bills you stated and not money you are helping him out with. Perhaps they are concerned that you have another account for the DD's and are trying to hide it? Not suggesting you are of course but these are the kinds of things that raise questions:

Claimant states they only have one account which is a basic account with no D/D facility. Claimant then produces bills which shows they are paid by D/D. Council wonders how a claimant can pay bills by D/D when the only declared account has no D/D facility and concludes that it is possible that there is another account that the claimant has failed to declare. They ask claimant about this, claimant states that the bills are paid from a third party's account who is not connected to the business but for which the claimant provides the funds. Council makes a reasonable request for evidence of this. Claimant is unable to provide it, stating that the third party will not produce their statements to them for the council. The council's reasoning would probably be along the lines that the third party has allowed use of their bank account to help claimant out but refuses to produce statements, even knowing that this will have an adverse affect on the person they are trying to help, which could in turn see the person they are trying to help suffer. They have to weigh up whether or not that seems likely. The council is entitled to draw an inference from non production of information to support the claim, and can cancel it.

It's unlikely this example sequence of events mirrors yours exactly but it shows what they are trying to acheive and along what lines they think.