Debt in Australia - advice before I call Credit Corps

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4714 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have been putting off dealing with a credit card and have had no contact with the bank since 2009. This morning I called Commonwealth Bank as I wanted to face up to sort it out. Apparently it was transferred to Credit Corps in Sept 2009. I was wondering if there is anything I can do or should know before I contact them. I also understand that debts become statute barred after 6 years however I will probably return to Australia before 6 years passes. I was just wondering if you could offer some advice on whether I should call them and face up or if there's some other way of dealing with this?

Also what kind of interest are they likely to be charging?

Many thanks,

Z

Hi,

Just a quick word as my breakfast is ready, but a resounding NO to calling them. By all means deal with it, but keep everything in writing.

Wait until they contact you in writing. If they ring you..Refuse to discuss on the phone as they will say they can do things they wouldn't dare commit to print. Tell them in writing only.

Take a peek at my blog (linked below) for more general info on what they can and can't do, and how to deal with them...more specific overseas advice will be forthcoming on here, I'm sure.

BTW....welcome to CAG :-)

kind regards,

Elsa x

Hello,

I have been putting off dealing with a credit card and have had no contact with the bank since 2009. This morning I called Commonwealth Bank as I wanted to face up to sort it out. Apparently it was transferred to Credit Corps in Sept 2009. I was wondering if there is anything I can do or should know before I contact them. I also understand that debts become statute barred after 6 years however I will probably return to Australia before 6 years passes. I was just wondering if you could offer some advice on whether I should call them and face up or if there's some other way of dealing with this?

Also what kind of interest are they likely to be charging?

Many thanks,

Z

In my opinion, there is a big difference on how you may choose to deal with this depending on whether or not you intend to return to Australia before the debt becomes statute-barred. It appears from your post that you do in fact intend to return to Australia before that time - if so, you MAY want to consider a settlement with Credit Corp to get this resolved so it doesn't cause you problems after you return.In my particular case, I do NOT intend to return to Australia and my debt is very nearly statute-barred. So my strategy is to run them around in circles until after the statute-barred date. In your case, you should carefully consider how this could impact your financial life if you return. In any case, as advised, NEVER talk to them on the telephone and conduct ALL correspondence and negotiations in writing. They may be unable to produce the original credit agreement, and therefore would be unable to collect the debt.There is an abundance of excellent information here on CAG regarding your situation, so my advice would be to first read everything and then make a decision on how to proceed.Good luck.W