Bill more than the qoute

steve3877
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4708 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I took my car to a local garage to have the water pump replaced. I was given a quote of £80 parts and £100 labour.

When i returned later in the day i was told the car was still not ready and to call back tomorrow.

When i returned to collect it the bill was £325 (made up of extra labour).

I paid £200 pound and collected the car with the agreement i would contact the owner the next day.

Am i unreasonable to think that the garage should have told me that the bill had increased when i first went to collect the car or could have telephoned me?

Any help / comments welcome :|

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Well it would be interesting to hear why there is such a difference between the quote and the bill. By not contacting you, I would of thought that you can dispute the amount. I would suggest that you inform them that as they did not contact you informing you of the signifitant extra cost, that by paying £200 you consider that you have settled the bill. Come back and let us know how you get on.

As sailor says, this is the correct approach not just by you but the garage as well. You need to ask why there is the differnce and if it is justifiable. Good practice would dictate that they might have hit trouble with a sheared stud or whatever but should have informed you. It's a difficult one this but without an explanation of the additional cost it's hard to comment on what is right and wrong. It's not an unusual situation but you need to act reasonably. If all went to plan then yes they should stick to the quote but it might be that there were circumstances, and this could even be parts pricing, which inflated the bill. Key on this one is not to over react but ask a reasonable question. Seems they are being reasonable in letting you have the car back without settling the full price. This does not mean they are admitting liability, just that something has not gone quite right.

It was the "Young Lad" who gave me the car as the owner was out. I believe the extra costs were for labour. But my issue is that they should have called me so i could discuss it further and decide if i was to get the work done or go elsewhere. IYSWIM

The extra cost being for labour would indicate a problem was hit. One could take the view that they have to stick to the price but the garage could argue that in that case they can't repair the car due to unforseen circumstances. Obvious question to ask then is why there is a labour difference?

Speak with them and see the outcome. Don't go in threatening this and that. Just ask and get the justification.

• 3 weeks later...

they should have called you and if they didnt then you have a right to refuse EXTRA work , but going back to your OP you say they gave you a "quote" is this correct??? was it a "quote" or was it an estimate??, if it was a quote then that price stands if they did not contact you but if it was an estimate then by the very name it is just estimated and can change although even then they should contact you first to authorise extra work or if the origianl estmate differs substanstially