garage didnt do MOT prop

stuggling
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4708 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took my car to a local garage for its MOT, we knew the exhuast needed doin and afew other bits but didnt tell this the garage as we were expecting them to find the fault anyhow. We returned and was told that there was a serious leak in the shock absorber and near coil spring needed so took it else were for repairs and then had them redo MOT for me.

They rang me and asked me to come down i did and they showed me that the other garage didnt even do the mot prop as it was fine on the absorber but they noticed the other bits that needed doin and did the work for us,

im annoyed as the other garage would have passed it on the exhaust if we got the repairs done with them and wouldnt have charged us a re-test fee if we got it all done there . The exhaust was hanging off!!! and would have dropped of and cost more money to repair.

How do i complain and get our money back from the MOT they didnt do prop!! or even complete!!

• 4 weeks later...

original post dont really explain the full story here !!! you say exhaust was hanging off??? in what way because MOT rules state the exhaust must be secure at its mounting points but that also means it could be a peice of string holding it as long as it is secure and obviously such a way to hold it would be considered botched and not acceptable to most, so you have to consider what the MOT tester had to atcually test and the merits and rules of that test! as for the shocker absorber MOT rules states they can fial for having negligable damping effect ( this could mean so soft or to stiff) alternatively they can fail for having a serious fluid leak ! if the leak is only minor then it should be an advisory item under the terms ( slight misting of oil) , however there is no rule book for determining where you draw the line between slight misting of oil or serious fluid leak and in most cases these cant be seen anyway unless car is jacked up so the weight is off the shockers, but because there is no rule on where to draw the line it becomes the opinion of the examiner as to whether he considers it a pass or fail and he is allowed to go by his opinion as long as he follows the guidelines of the MOT testers manual, if he found an item and couldnt actually make up his mind whether to pass or fail then benifit is given to the presenter ( in others if he is in two minds then he should pass and advise on problem), just in case you wondering if you havent realised by now i am a Class IV MOT Tester and i hoe all this helps, but your original post doent give enough detail as to the full details of fail or advisories issued, if you still belive you have a case against the tester in question then you can find all relevent details on what to do on the reverse of your V20 ( green MOT pass cert )