Power wheelchair dilema

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4728 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is really more of an opinion/advice type question. Not for me, but a neighbour who asked my opinion and I would appreciate anyone elses opinion.

My neighbour has chronic arthritis in her back. She can walk with a walking stick/sticks and sometimes crutches when it is really bad. She is on DLA higher rate for mobility and has a blue badge etc. Her dilema is that she cannot walk for long before she is in real problems with pain, so although she can walk for maybe 15 minutes at a slow pace, after that she needs assistance to get to her car.

She is considering buying a power wheelchair to help her get around better when shopping etc. She wants a powerchair because she will be allowed in most shops (Tesco's and the like) with it, whereas as a mobility scooter would not be generally allowed inside shops.

Her dilema is that she says she feels like a 'fraud' by using one as she can actually walk and doesn't want people judging her when she gets to her car and then steps out of the chair. In her words 'like that bald bloke on Little Britain'.

I have implied that she needs the chair and many people in them can walk to some degree, although many cannot. Can anyone prop me up here morally? Am I right? I think she should get one as I have seen how much she can struggle after a short walk. We are talking about Jazzy 1120 type chair.

ANY thoughts very gratefully received.

This is really more of an opinion/advice type question. Not for me, but a neighbour who asked my opinion and I would appreciate anyone elses opinion.

My neighbour has chronic arthritis in her back. She can walk with a walking stick/sticks and sometimes crutches when it is really bad. She is on DLA higher rate for mobility and has a blue badge etc. Her dilema is that she cannot walk for long before she is in real problems with pain, so although she can walk for maybe 15 minutes at a slow pace, after that she needs assistance to get to her car.

She is considering buying a power wheelchair to help her get around better when shopping etc. She wants a powerchair because she will be allowed in most shops (Tesco's and the like) with it, whereas as a mobility scooter would not be generally allowed inside shops.

Her dilema is that she says she feels like a 'fraud' by using one as she can actually walk and doesn't want people judging her when she gets to her car and then steps out of the chair. In her words 'like that bald bloke on Little Britain'.

I have implied that she needs the chair and many people in them can walk to some degree, although many cannot. Can anyone prop me up here morally? Am I right? I think she should get one as I have seen how much she can struggle after a short walk. We are talking about Jazzy 1120 type chair.

ANY thoughts very gratefully received.

I'm have the same problem has your neighbour chronic arthritis in my lower back much the same with walking some days I can walk for 5 t 10 minutes I have a wheelchair which my wife pushes me round in, but about a 6 weeks ago I got a mobility scooter witch takes apart and goes in the back of my car.I to felt like 'fraud' but found people to caught up in there own little worlds to bother or very understanding and offer to help me with the scooter in to the car.Do not be put of by what others might think my scooter has given me so much independence.

PS I have not found any shops that will not allow me in,in fact it may be illegal to do so.

Thanks you both. I had this conversation with her. Generally shops that have wheelchair access will allow powerchairs in as they are motorised wheelchairs. Many will allow mobility scooters, but many will not.

On a point of law, there is no legal right to use a wheelchair in any shop. Shops do have a legal obligation to accommodate wheelchair users, but that may not always be feasible to have actual access, so having a member of staff bring the goods out is just as acceptable in law.

I have been with her today to see a few machines. I had no idea the choice was so vast and complex. She has been swayed into trying a lightweight take-apart type mobility scooter. All round better for her, and she can just about pick up the heaviest pieces to put in her car.

I will update once we know how she gets on.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks you both. I had this conversation with her. Generally shops that have wheelchair access will allow powerchairs in as they are motorised wheelchairs. Many will allow mobility scooters, but many will not.

On a point of law, there is no legal right to use a wheelchair in any shop. Shops do have a legal obligation to accommodate wheelchair users, but that may not always be feasible to have actual access, so having a member of staff bring the goods out is just as acceptable in law.

I have been with her today to see a few machines. I had no idea the choice was so vast and complex. She has been swayed into trying a lightweight take-apart type mobility scooter. All round better for her, and she can just about pick up the heaviest pieces to put in her car.

I will update once we know how she gets on.

This may be of help with regard to the laws concerning disabled rights to services etc

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_rights/civil_rights/disability_discrimination.htm#access_to_services

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.