Jessops - Canon Lens Replacement/Refund

aeloen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding a photographic purchase from Jessops in June last year (still under manufacturers warranty).

The item was a £1260 Canon Professional Lens (EF 100-400mm L f4.5/5.6 if you are interested).

The item has only had light amateur use and has always been well looked after, cleaned and kept in the supplied case when not in use.

In August 2010 I had to take it to the Canon repair centre in Borehamwood for two (related) reasons. Debris had built up on the inside of the front element (dust in the lens) and also the Lens hood had never sat correctly. They replaced the front element and subsequently I have had no problem with dust and the lens hood fits perfectly. This was repaired under warranty.

In October 2010 I again had to take it to the Canon repair centre because the Image Stabaliser Switch Assembley had failed (the switches had disintegrated, so I couldn't turn the Image Stabiliser on or off). Again this was repaired under warranty.

There is a zoom locking mechanism which tightens to allow you to lock the zoom at a particular range (for example if you are taking distance photographs from a tripod). At the weekend this jammed several times. When it was jammed, I could also feel the focus ring grating inside. Although I managed to un-jam this I now feel the need to take it to the repair centre again to get the locking mechanism checked/replaced (it should never jam in the first place!)

This is supposed to be a pro series lens and I feel that three distinct failures to occur in less than a year is unacceptable. I spoke to my local Jessops store about getting a replacement (I don't want a refund, I want a copy of the lens that does not fail regularly) and they said that all they can offer through the store is to send it away to Canon for repair (which I can do easily myself).

If I do this, and get it repaired again, I have no guarantee that further failures will not occur with the lens - of course you never have this guarantee, but I am 3 months away from my manufacturers warranty from expiring. Given the history of this lens, this does not fill me with confidence. I'd rather have a replacement lens with a new 1 year warranty..

The store advised me that I'd have to talk to customer services on the phone so I am going to do this today.

However, I was wondering where I stand in this situation in terms of my rights?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Additional info: I have repair invoices for the last two times I had to have the lens repaired, original receipts, box and packaging.

Edited by aeloen
more info

This is unacceptable with this grade of lens even in professional use. I recommend that you take note of the serial number and ask for a replacement. Point out that dealing with the problems that you have had with the lens has cost you considerable amount of your time and time is money. If you did not have a replacement when yours was away getting repaired then point out to them that you have lost the use of that lens for the period of time it was away being repaired. Canon are general very good but they will keep sending back this sick lens to you unless you put you foot down. I have had similar issues with another camera manufacturer and in the got my money back and at the end of the day it may be better to insist that you get your money back. If they start getting stroppy ask them what is their local trading standards office. The best of luck .

PS Another tack would be to complain that you now suspect that the lens was not a new lens when you purchased it but a refurbished one because of the number and the nature of problems that you have had with it.

OK, so I spoke to Jessops Customer Services and to Canon Repair Centre this morning.

First up, Jessops. They advised me to take the lens back into store. The store would then send it away to Canon for repair and get an engineering report. Once they have received this they will 'be able to make a decision,' on what to do. They advised this would take 4-6 weeks..

I asked what the possible outcomes could be as what I don't want to happen is for it to be repaired and then sent back to me - I'll have an additional 6 months warranty on what was repaired, but not on the whole lens (so if the same fault reoccurs I'm covered, but if a different fault occurs I am not..). They said they couldn't say and that they'd just have to 'make a decision when the report comes back.'

I explained that I had two previous engineers reports for different faults and asked if this would be sufficient - they said no and they'd have to send it away themselves.

I then spoke to Canon repair centre - I live near the repair centre so when I've had repairs done before I can get the item back in a couple of days. I explained the situation and they were generally sympathetic - though they did note that the retailer should be liable through SoG Act, but I explained I didn't want to be without it for 4-6 weeks.

They said I could bring the lens down and speak to one of the engineers there to see what they can do.

What do you think my best course of action would be?

Thanks again

Time to get more information. The most useful source would be the Canon lens forum on dpreview.com. They will be able to tell you if there are any ongoing problem with this lens model and advise you if the dust behind the front element is a known issue . My view is that this lens may have been a display and demonstration unit that should not have been sold a new, or that it has been refurbished and with use dust retained in the body of the lens migrated to the front element and that the ongoing problems with the lens are not going to go away.

Put a complaint through to trading standards once you have some information.

No verbal agreements from now on with canon or jessops everything in writing.

Dust in the lens is a known 'issue,' which has no appreciable impact on the IQ of the lens. This was not so much the issue, but there had been significant build up very quickly and also the lens hood would not fit on the end of the lens properly, hence the first trip to the repair centre.

So I took lens down to Canon Repair Centre. Not completely happy, but this is the situation.

Engineer took a look and came to have a chat with me – he couldn’t find any fault with the locking mechanism and we couldn’t reproduce the problem (typically.) He said they cannot do replacements through the repair centre, it has to be done through the retailer.

On the plus side, he said he would replace the front of the lens assembly with a new part so hopefully I shouldn’t have any issues with it again. He also said that Jessops use that repair centre, so if I had taken it to Jessops they would have received it, found no fault and sent it back to Jessops with a ‘no fault found,’ note. So this wouldn’t get me anywhere with Jessops.

So I’m having the front of the lens assembly replaced, I will also get an invoice for this ‘repair.’ Hopefully, once I get this back, I can take this and the other repair invoices down to Jessops as further evidence of the unit being inherently faulty and try to demand a refund/replacement.

Best course of action with Jessops once I get the lens back with invoice?

If Jessops have form with the local trading standards it might help but anyway contact trading standards and get a case going on the basis of the lens not being new when you bought it Re the dust issue and the series of repairs that have had to be carried out on it. If Jessops come back with dust ingress being a know issue with the lens then the lens is not fit for purpose. Throw everthing at them.