Can I be asked to pay overseas debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi -I am wondering if anyone can help me - I am not sure how to use this site yet but I thought I would give it a go!

Approximately 6 yrs ago I left the UK (I am not a UK citizen) and along with it an Orange phone bill of about 150 - 200GBP which I am not proud of. I then lived in another country for 3 years and moved back to the UK and lived in a different city for about 1 and a half years and then I left again - I have now lived in a different country for about 1 and a half years. I still have bank statements etc going to my 2nd address in the UK as this is my mother-in-laws home. She has just informed me that I have received a letter from UK Search Ltd on behalf of Arrow Global asking if I reside at this address and the last know address they have of me was my first one in the UK (in the different city). They left a contact number and address etc. They did not state what it was for or anything - so I am not sure if this is for my Orange account or something else I am unaware of!

What do you think the best thing is to do? I do not want my mother-in-law to keep receiving letters but at the same time I do not want to contact them - I heard as its nearly 6 yrs they cannot do anything after that point (thats if it is the Orange account). How do I find out what its for without implicating myself? Also how do I get them off my mother-in-law? Can they contact me in a different country?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also - this is the first letter of any kind I have received from any company regarding debt.

Thanks!

What do you think the best thing is to do?
You MIL should return any further letters unopened & marked 'Not Known At This Address'. If they continue a complaint by her to her local Trading Standards will be in order.

A debt becomes Statute Barred after six years (five in Scotland) and they cannot then take any enforcement action.

There are no reciprocal agreements between the Cayman Is. & the UK so they cannot take any enforcement action there.

this is the first letter of any kind I have received from any company regarding debt.
They are fishing at the moment because they are not certain you are the person they are looking for.

Thanks for the info - I still have bank statements and maybe a few other things sent there. Does that make a difference?? Will she get in trouble if she sends them back saying "Not Known at this address"

Does that make a difference?? Will she get in trouble if she sends them back saying "Not Known at this address"
no & No. ;)
as I have money in a UK bank account - can they touch this??
Not without a court order and they would have to have obtained a CCJ first... something they cannot do against a non-UK resident.

It depends on how certain they are that you are the person they are looking for and that they can contact you through your MIL.

She is the innocent person and should not be harassed so it should be nipped in the but sooner rather than later. By sending those letters back she is informing them that you do not live there and they have no right to try and use her as a coduit to get to you. Once she's done that, if they continue she can then escalate a complaint to TS's who will put a stop to them.

Alternatively, if you wish to deal with them yourself you could use a box number, but not a post office one because it has been alleged that they sell peoples contact details.