Annual medical questionnaire required for employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My employer has recently asked certain staff who are on occasions required to travel or work overseas, to complete a medical questionnaire in order to satsify 'fitness for travel' purposes. It's all done through the Occupational health company they use.

I find it a bit odd as I work in the education sector and wouldn't think this was necessary and secondly our personnel department has asked us to complete this questionnaire annually as the 'fitness for travel certificate' lasts one year. Also some of the questions are a little intrusive. We accompany students on overseas residentials but they are all over 18 so again, strikes me as a little odd to ask staff to complete such a form.

Any thoughts/advice please? especially regarding the annual completion of said form. thanks.

Edited by bustle
ccccc

Sounds to me like they are getting access to confidential medical information by the back door. Surely they should be asking for a disclaimer for access to such information. Alternatively surely the OP could merely refer the questionnaire to his / her GP and ask for a simple letter confirming fitness to travel? If the GP charges a fee, which I imagine they are entitled to do, the OP can ask the employer to pay it?

I doubt that the employer will receive any medical information at all - they'll just be told whether an individual is 'fit' or 'unfit'. The Occ Health provider won't release any clinical information without a signed release. The medical questionnaire, once completed, should go straight to Occ Health, or via the employer in a sealed envelope.

One reason for using Occ Health rather than GPs for this sort of task is that it is more consistent than asking a variety of GPs - and almost certainly quicker.

ok, thanks for the quick responses. The initial email the personnel unit sent was below (no mention of insurance within it)

"You have recently been identified as a member of staff who is likely to work overseas on behalf of xxxx during the next 12-months. In conjunction with our medical advisor, we recently reviewed our guidance and procedures on working overseas to enable us to be sure that we are not putting staff members in situations that may be detrimental to their health. As part of this procedure, we need you to complete the attached medical questionnaire and return it direct to xxxxxx. Your information will be reviewed only by our medical advisor and treated in the strictest of confidence.

If the completed questionnaire raises no further questions, a ‘Fitness for Overseas Travel Clearance Certificate’ which is valid for a period of 1-year will be issued. Alternatively, xxxx may need further information from your own GP, or may wish to meet with you personally, before proceeding. The Fitness certificate will be sent directly to xxxxx and you will be advised when the medical consent has been given."

You will see it is quite carefully worded but understand it is probably because of insurance purposes. I also read somewhere that you could get into some issues if at a later date, something crops up when overseas and I had not been totally honest on the form.... results in a breakdown of trust between employee and the employer.

I doubt that the employer will receive any medical information at all - they'll just be told whether an individual is 'fit' or 'unfit'. The Occ Health provider won't release any clinical information without a signed release. The medical questionnaire, once completed, should go straight to Occ Health, or via the employer in a sealed envelope.

One reason for using Occ Health rather than GPs for this sort of task is that it is more consistent than asking a variety of GPs - and almost certainly quicker.

Do you really think Occ Health would 'confidentially' keep ANYTHING if the employer wanted the information. Our experience is that they merely a tool of the employer just like HR. Even without signed disclaimers they leak information and after all it is the information the employer wants. Once they have it officially or unofficially they have it and will use it. Trust no-one with your medical information is my opinion.

ok, thanks for the quick responses. The initial email the personnel unit sent was below (no mention of insurance within it)

"You have recently been identified as a member of staff who is likely to work overseas on behalf of xxxx during the next 12-months. In conjunction with our medical advisor, we recently reviewed our guidance and procedures on working overseas to enable us to be sure that we are not putting staff members in situations that may be detrimental to their health. As part of this procedure, we need you to complete the attached medical questionnaire and return it direct to xxxxxx. Your information will be reviewed only by our medical advisor and treated in the strictest of confidence.

If the completed questionnaire raises no further questions, a ‘Fitness for Overseas Travel Clearance Certificate’ which is valid for a period of 1-year will be issued. Alternatively, xxxx may need further information from your own GP, or may wish to meet with you personally, before proceeding. The Fitness certificate will be sent directly to xxxxx and you will be advised when the medical consent has been given."

You will see it is quite carefully worded but understand it is probably because of insurance purposes. I also read somewhere that you could get into some issues if at a later date, something crops up when overseas and I had not been totally honest on the form.... results in a breakdown of trust between employee and the employer.

Are you likely to be traveling overseas? If not why not write back to them and say as much but that if you did apply to do such a traveling expedition you will get a fit note from your GP? I would be very wary of this intrusion.

Yes, some staff travel overseas about once a year or so. I've since been notified that I have now got the medical certificate. The other reason for my reservations regarding this procedure is that I have an underlying medical condition and I'd rather it was not disclosed to my employers. I completed the medical form honestly, without being too specific in terms of what the condition is but not lying or misleading them. I was expecting the OH company to contact me but quite relieved they didn't. As someone has already mentioned, the employer cannot see medical forms without written consent from the employee nor can they request medical details from my GP without written authorisation from myself.

Edited by bustle
signature

Yes, some staff travel overseas about once a year or so. I've since been notified that I have now got the medical certificate. The other reason for my reservations regarding this procedure is that I have an underlying medical condition and I'd rather it was not disclosed to my employers. I completed the medical form honestly, without being too specific in terms of what the condition is but not lying or misleading them. I was expecting the OH company to contact me but quite relieved they didn't. As someone has already mentioned, the employer cannot see medical forms without written consent from the employee nor can they request medical details from my GP without written authorisation from myself.

What is the underlying medical condition? The more you have told us only reinforces my belief they are getting information by the back door. Any disability you have should be of no interest to the employer if you are coping with it and it has no bearing on your work. The minute it did have a bearing on your work, you should perhaps reveal the problem so they, and you, can make reasonable adjustments to enable you to remain in work. What relevance would the knowledge of a condition have to the job of supervision etc whilst abroad?

I'm not prepared to disclose that on a public forum!

It doesn't affect my day to day work or capacity to do the job nor have I ever been off work due to the condition. It's covered by the Equality Act 2010 and I mentioned this on the medical form so it should be fairly clear (along with the other responses I gave) to the OH dr. what the condition is.

Do you really think Occ Health would 'confidentially' keep ANYTHING if the employer wanted the information. Our experience is that they merely a tool of the employer just like HR. Even without signed disclaimers they leak information and after all it is the information the employer wants. Once they have it officially or unofficially they have it and will use it. Trust no-one with your medical information is my opinion.

Actually I do think that Occ Health would keep clinical data confidential. Quite apart from data protection issues, Occ Health staff will be governed by their professional standards. Then again, I work in healthcare, so I know how seriously confidentiality is taken.

I also have recent practical experience of exactly the sort of thing OP describes. My job takes me abroad from time to time, and before each trip I go to Occ Health (my employer uses an external provider), complete a lengthy questionnaire, and undergo a full medical, including blood screening and a psychological assessment. On my return I go back to Occ Health for a check up. In addition, I can see the Occ Health doctor in confidence at any time, without giving my employer a reason, though they pay for it. In my case the nature of my work, and the location, is rather more challenging than accompanying students abroad, but the principle is the same. Apart from insurance considerations, my employer must ensure that staff do not travel with certain pre-existing conditions or on certain medication.

However, all my employer receives from Occ Health is a short report to the effect that I was examined, and found fit (or unfit). I have no doubt at all that no other information would be provided, even if it were asked for. Consequently I have no problem with discussing my health with the Occ Health doctor in the same way as I would with my GP.

I'm sorry that you seem to have been the victim of some sort of conspiracy involving HR, Occ Health and your employer, but I do not think it is typical.

Actually I do think that Occ Health would keep clinical data confidential. Quite apart from data protection issues, Occ Health staff will be governed by their professional standards. Then again, I work in healthcare, so I know how seriously confidentiality is taken.

Sorry to disagree with you Scarlet but we have personal experience of breaches by OH staff. When the pressure is on they will help the employer or they too become the target. You are either with them or against them when in a dispute. That is why confidentiality agreements are so wide ranging, because when you do get the evidence, as we did, then they have to protect the people that have gone against their professional obligations to help the employer. Just trying to give a balanced view. !!!!!