• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MBNA/Allied International Credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have just now got off the phone to AIG who claim to be acting on behalf of MBNA, chasing a debt that I have owed them and been making reduced payment against for some time. I am looking for some advice about the best way to proceed, but I'll provide some background first.

I ran up some pretty serious debts until 2007, when it all finally went horribly wrong and I couldn't use any credit cards or loans to bounce money around and had to deal with it all. I realise now that all of that was a mistake and I should have dealt with it earlier. I have never tried to claim that I don't owe the money I owe and from the point that I made the decision to deal with my creditors, I have always offered to make repayments, which has generally been well received.

Currently, I owe £62k in unsecured debt, I have a mortgage with a balance of £162k and a secured loan with a balance of approx £30k. I do earn well and can manage to service all of this, just with lowered payments. Until very recently, I had run up arrears on my mortgage, but Cheltenham & Gloucester were very helpful and set-up a payment plan which I kept to. In January 2011 have merged the arrears back into the mortgage (I forget the exact terminology) so that I no longer have any arrears on my mortgage.

As I say, I have negotiated with all my debtors to come up with a payment plan based on an I&E that I originally created in 2007 and have kept up to date ever since. I have used this site and others over time as resources and a very big thank you to all who have posted here in the past, as people like me who are just looking for help always find them useful, even if we don't always post.

Anyway, back to this particular case; MBNA were one of my creditors who were always very helpful (contrary to what I have read elsewhere here) and agreed to a monthly payment of £120 - with no interest applied - which, up until 6 months ago, I made regularly on time. In the past 6 months, my employer has been having difficulties and so pay has sometimes been 2 or 3 days late and in October 2010, I only received half wages, which I am still owed.

I spoke with MBNA regularly throughout this to keep them informed and in December 2010 I agreed to up my payment to £180 a month for 6 months to clear 3 months that they claimed I was behind (I actually thought it was 2 months, but wasn't prepared to argue). I paid the first £180 on 16th December and then second £180 on 3rd February (my January wages being 2 days late).

Yesterday, 7th February, I received a call on my busines mobile (which MBNA knew of) from one "Chris Davidson" at Allied International Credit ("AIG"), but said I was too busy to speak and asked him to call back today.

He has explained to me that MBNA have "asked them" to look into dealing with the debt immediately. I said that this was a big suprise to me as I had just made a payment to MBNA, but he was not very interested in that. I confirmed my employer, salary, mortgage, secured loan, etc (which maybe I shouldn't have done, but it's not like MBNA didn't know them anyway) and he then said that I must call him back by midday on Thursday 10th February. I refused to give any more phone numbers for me, although he pushed on that point.

One point which really stood out to me was that he claimed the debt owed is £10,478.26, but I have on my records that it was £9,867.69 as of the beginning of November, so another £360 has been paid since that point.

I asked what he expected to happen on Thursday as clearly I am unable to repay that amount of money, but he refused to be drawn saying that it was clearly one of income or assets and then refused to explain what he meant by that, only that he would make "recommendations" to MBNA after Thursday. I asked if there was scope for an ongoing payment plan, but he said that "the computer" (yep, he did say that) indicated that this was unlikely.

I explained that I didn't know who AIG were, nor had I received any correspondance from MBNA or AIG. It seems that the "yellow slips" were sent out on the 2nd, although I haven't received mine.

I very much welcome some advice. I have just read the excellent thread on Tesco/AIG on this forum (sorry I cannot seem to link to it, but the reference is "showthread.php?287398-Allied-International-Tescoloan/", so from this and reading elsewhere, the following course of action seems most appropriate:

1 - Do not speak with AIG on the phone again; request that all be put in writing.

2 - Send a CCA request to both AIG and MBNA.

3 - Wait for their response.

Do that sound about right? Anything I haven't explained, please let me know!

I'm quite ****ed off with MBNA, since I spoke to them last week! However, should I stick with paying MBNA £180 in the meantime if nothing happens, or just £120, or £1 or nothing?

Thanks very much.

Stewart

Dilemmas dilemmas dilemmas, excuse me if I have failed to read all of your thread thoroughly, but I get the general gist!

Well proof if it were ever needed that even when you play at their rules and converse over the phone they still get too big for their boots and greed gets the better of them!

As you have now done it their way, do it the consumer action group way, and when they ring in future laugh at them and hang up, OR tell them everything in writing, then laugh, then hang up!

Haven't got much time to check whether AIC and MBNA are one and the same BUT, if you were currently paying one (MBNA?) and suddenly AIC have crawled out from under their stone, I WOULD NOT pay AIC ANYTHING until you have it IN WRITING.

For their greed send AIC a simple letter stating that you have had a call from a company claiming to be MBNA and acting on behalf of AIC, you are not aware of this company, and as such you will reduce your payments down to the token amount of £1 a month, until AIC or MBNA can provide solid legal evidence as to who is in charge of this account.

Enc,£1.

See what comes back, print off the CCA request ready to fire back at them, and they will wish they had let sleeping dogs lie!

This is what happens when they get greedy, and I hope for your sake, that their is something inherently wrong with their paperwork!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Also I would go for a SAR request to MBNA and see what you can claim back from them regarding missold PPI, credit charges etc(if you don't still have the paperwork). This will help reduce your balance.

My advice is given through personal experience and is given without prejudice

If I Have helped please feel free to click the star

:smile:

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to go down the route of disputing AIG's legal right to deal with my account - since they have provided no proof other than a little yellow slip, which in my mind constitutes no proof whatsoever. In the meantime, I will maintain my £120 monthly payments to MBNA, as that is what I *can* afford and if this does end up legal I can point at the payments to confirm that I, at least, was acting in good faith.

I have also set-up a correspondance address for them to use because I don't want the writing to home. Do you think that will be OK?

Can you have a glance over the following and see if it fits the bill?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am in receipt of a yellow slip from your company purporting to act on behalf of MBNA Europe Bank Ltd in relation to my account with them.

I have no knowledge of you. I have received no communication from MBNA Europe Bank Ltd about your company or their intention to pass my details to you.

I require that either MBNA or your company provide me with legal proof, in writing, that you are authorised to act for MBNA in this matter, prior to further communication in any form. Until this proof has been provided, I will not deal with your company.

Please answer this request, in writing, to my correspondence address below:

xxxxxxx

Yours Faithfully,

Assuming that I get the proof I need, I'll then hit AIG with a SAR and see where that leads.

Thanks for the advice and I appreciate everyone's assistance!

Stewart

Thanks for the comments. I know the SAR should go to MBNA, but I'm going to pretend I don't and send it to AIG and see if they know.

Anyway, that's for the future. Posting the letter above today and we'll see what response that gets. I received one telephone call (from a mobile number, so watch out for that one) asking me to call regarding a "personal business matter" - which I've ignored. I also received a text message as follows:

...your account is being actioned today. I can only stop this if you call AIC immediately on my direct line...
Presumably since the only option I was given when I did speak to them was to pay in full, the "action" they intend to take is...what? ....Accept the payment plan which I made with them and have been sticking to? *sigh*

Stewart