• Tweets

• If I have learnt one thing from this forum, it's not to call and communicate via email. I passed this info on to her and they are pushing for her to call them.    "Unfortunately, you will need to call us. The conversation won’t be so black and white as to therefore type over email. In a nutshell we can confirm that the request to not pay for 3 months we cannot put in place"  I emailed them back on her behalf and said that what ever is discussed over the phone will need to be put in an email so that she can review it properly. No decisions will be made on that phone call.    "Once we speak to you on the phone we will follow up with an email to confirm the options discussed. [Phone number]"   Why are they pushing for a phone call? If its not so black and white, why can they then follow up with an email?  
    • Appreciate input Andy, updated: IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;     I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim.   1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. The Defendant has not entered any contract with the Claimant. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 21/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Claimant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of the Defendant by purchasing bulk debt at a greatly reduced cost and subrogating for the original creditor in trying to recuperate the full amount of the original debt 12. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • Morning,  I am hoping someone can help, I am posting on behalf of my friend so I will try and provide as much info as possible.  Due health reasons, she is currently not working and unable to pay her contractual car finance payments. She emailed 247 Money and asked for a 3 month payment holiday, they refused this straight away with no reasons as to why. They have told her that instead she can make a payment of £200. She is currently getting £400+ a month ssp so this is not acceptable. She went back to them and explained she cannot make this payment and they have not offered an alternative plan. Its £200 or she falls into default.  She is now panicking as she does not want her car to be taken away. What options does she have?  Thank you, 
    • Read these 6 things you can do to be empathetic to other people’s views and perspectives.View the full article
    • Peter Levy says he received a call from someone pretending to be from his bank in February.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Well Mbna Whats Going On

nigel J sellick
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I spoke with the MBNA tonight i have sent the form asking for a list of my charges over the past 6 years with my 10.00.

when i spoke with them tonight after noticeing since may they have started to charge 12.00 instead of 25.00 the man said we have taken note of the uling and have bought our fees in to line so i said what about back dating my refund ...IN SO MANY WORDS HE SAID YOU DONT STAND A CHANCE SO DONT WASTE YOUR TIME! is he right can i claim the 25.00 back a month for the last 6 years up to may this year? or do i claim 13.00 back for the last 6 years as 12.00 is said to be a fair charge?

please advise in plain english please (not a clever person here:eek: )

nigel

Irrespective of their revised position if you have been charged penalties you can reclaim them.

Its completely illogical if you have been charged 25, 30 quid or whatever prior to their changed perspective.

FWIW

Bearing in mind the gorwing movement agaisnt these bank charges unless one of them can demonstrate that the cost of administering the account under the various circumstances amounts to more than pennys, and i dont think they can, then the charges of this order will be illegal based on them being disproporitionate to the cost of the work involved.

Generally the estimates for the actual costs of admini9stering our accoutns when bouncing cheques, paying visa payments whilst overdrawn etc range from a few pennys to a couple of quid depending on how you look at it.

Personally the very fact they charge interest when overdrawn would seem to offset their losses and so basically its a question of how much it costs to send out several tens of thousands of letters a day rather than anything else.

JMHO

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Incidentally, with the credit card charges (I can't talk about banks as I never worked for one, only a credit card company) it would be a struggle for the CC companies to prove the costs of administering late and overlimit fees were more than a pound. Given that when I worked in the industry the average annual cost of servicing an active account was under £40, it's not very likely that it will even cost £12 to issue a late OR overlimit fee is it, partcularly when there is NO manual intervention whatsoever to issue these fees. Unless you count the programme administrator's fag break as manual intervention...

did you get the persons name you spoke to on the phone?? just wondering as id ring him back when i got my cash back and say .... dont have a chance eh!!

they think theyre somthing dont they!

lisaxx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

LOL ... I had a similar conversation with some idiot at MBNA. He was full of himself saying "Go ahead but you don't stand a chance" ....he also said that paying minimum payments is never meant to pay off a balance which I think an absolutely ridiculous statement to make ....especially when working for a credit card company ...it just makes em look even more like rip off merchants.

Anyway, I took his name and when I've been successful with my claim I'm going to call him back. :)

No hes not right...the £12 is still not reflective of their true cost, you can claim everything back from them until they stand up in court and prove their charges are proportianate to their costs.

Hi, new here.

Just a note about this proportionality of costs thing. It seems to be assumed that a charge will definately be held to be lawful if it is shown to accurately reflect the cost the bank has incurred. From my reading of the UFCTA 1977 this is not the case. Sec.4 of the Act clearly says that a party acting as a consumer cannot be required to indemnify anyone else against negligence. It then goes on to say that such an indemnity may be legal if it is held to be reasonable. The Act does not say that such an indemnity will be lawful just because it accurately compensates for the damage your negligence causes. Indeed, the whole premiss of that section is one that all indemnity clauses are unlawful per-se. Merely showing that the ammount of the penalty is accurate does not make the actual application of the charge legal.

To my mind anyone seeking to rely on such a charge would have to satisfy a two part test to satisfy the "reasonableness" criteria. Firstly that the application of any charge at all was reasonable and, once they have established that, that the actual amount of the charge was reasonable.

The Act sets down a test of reasonableness. The first element in that test is that of the relative negotiating strength of the parties. I cannot see how any large company, especially a bank, can hope to pass this test because they have vastly more negotiating power than us. They simply operate a "take it or leave it" policy and are never likely to negotiate clauses such as charges. Moreover, the negotiating power of the consumer is further hampered as all the banks operate broadly similar policies in relation to charging so you don't have the benefit of the negotiating tool known as "stuff your charges, I'll go elsewhere" and not having a bank account is not an option these days.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

Nigel, go ahead and claim, after all it's your money they took from you unlawfully. If you follow the guidance on this site you WILL get back every penny.

I also had a telephone conversation with an MBNA 'customer service rep' who claimed that as they are an American owed Bank they are governed by American law and regulations NOT British law and regulations. According to him they are not covered by the OFT, FSA or British consumer credit law :shock:

He also claimed they were going to issue default notices and pass my accounts onto a DCA despite them being in dispute as they were legally obliged to.

I told him he needs to speak to his companies legal department and take a course in politeness :razz:

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Guest Niklowe

That is absolute rubbish. They have to be regulated by the FSA to trade in the UK. My wife works for a big american owned financial institution, far bigger than MBNA. As part of her job she has to take FSA exams to comply with the law.

Exactly my point in making the post about it. The customer reps really have no idea about charges or the law, they dont need to really as they only follow a prepared script to try and intimidate the customer into making more and bigger commitments. In my case he actually argued that they are legally obliged to register detrimental information (ie. default notices etc) with the credit reference agencies even though when an account is in dispute they are not allowed to register default notices etc.

I also made a reduced offer of payment through a DMP with CCCS which they have stated doesnt meet the amount dictated to them by their american parent and under american law. The fact that to meet their demand is going to mean somebody else doesnt get paid is irrelevant. Ah well I guess its going to be fun in court when I tell the judge that they registered a default against me while the account was in clear dispute. :)

If they choose to operate in this country then they are legally obliged to abide by and be governed by British law.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

HI People well what about this? i sent off my request that they send me the charges applied to my account for the past six years with my cheque for 10.00 ages ago, the other day one of the managers from the credit agency of mbna trying to get my repayments up a bit he said he would now freeze interest and charges on my account and make my payments down to 19 or 20 a month and make them str8 repayments so they actually come off the outstanding balance. and as a good will gesture he would refund the two charges of 25.00 for this month.......... today i received a letter from mbnasteve bailey pp s pemberton giving me there side of the story as to why they fill there charges are justified and correct bla bla bla they didnt send me the 6 years report as i requested but some small print out and returned my cheque saying that they gave me this information free of charge and that if i wanted the full data protec thing id have to send off again and pay £ 10.00 lol but at the bottom of the letter it says i Quote "we do value your custom so we would like to resolve this matter. I have therefore credited your account with a goodwill payment of £310.00 on the basis that this is in full and finalsettlement of your complaint" wow didnt expect that after the nasty phone calls from them and there collection agency that have hasseled me for months BUT thats not all when i looked at my account on the net to see if they had done it my credit card shows a balance of zero no outstanding payments and new credit limit £500.00 i owe them around £1800??? whats going on??? can someone advise me lol and should i send the data thing again and accept there offer ????:shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth is my opinion for what it's worth!

Don't know about the legalities but I would be inclined to agree with closing the account and counting your blessings.

9/8 - Discovered Consumer Action Group Site:D

RBOS - Personal Account

10/8 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to RBOS

17/5 - Defence lodged by RBS

24/5 - Court date

21/5 - Offer received:rolleyes:

22/5 - Offer rejected

25/5 - New offer received and accepted!!!!!!

MBNA Credit Card

10/8 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to MBNA

Feb 07 Received payment in full...Yeh!!!!:-D

RBOS Business Account

25/5 - May 07 - Statements received

23/7 - Offered received

Do ho accept there offer - only accept it as part payment towards your claim. PHONE them on Monday (Mr Bailey) and you may well find that they offer the lot inc compound interest.

My advise if free and is worth exactly as much as you paid for it….

HSBC 28 Oct 2006 Personal accounts ~ Offered and accepted ~ £3514 :)

HSBC 15 Sep 2006 Business ~ Offered and accepted ~ £4980 :)

MBNA 7 Sep Offered and accepted £2290 - (my amount £1170 plus Compound Interest) using the "phone call method" :o

FREEWAY 28th Oct ~ offered and acepted £506 :)

TSB VISA MCOL £300 - court date 27th March 2007

Gbzstro, Thanks For That, I Will £310 Is Far Less Then What They Have Charged Me On There Little Print Out Theu Sent Me As They Didnt Send Me The 6 Year Report Like I Requested.... I Think I Will Re Submit My 6 Year Report Request And Tell Them I Accept The £310 But Will Be Going For The Full Calculated Amount...once I Get The Report

Next job is to add up all the charges that they have sent you and then send or a prelim request for these amounts - send it recorded delivery and dont forget to phone them on Monday - you might get a pleasent surprise - I did!

MBNA 7 Sep Offered and accepted £2290 - (my amount £1170 plus Compound Interest) using the "phone call method" :o

If they made you a goodwill offer - which they did! - then they already know what they owe you inc compound interest - you need to speak to Garath Tunicliff (I spoke to a Paul in the same department) and the offer was made to me within the hour! Even so .... dont give up your deadlines or time table - stick to them but make that call and report back here !!!

Forgot the number ...

Garath Tunnicliffe 01244 672628

ok so should my conversation be like this, im telling you i am happy to accept your offer of £310 but im informing you that i intend to claim the full amount of what you owe me but i would like my 6 year report as originally asked for(as there print out only shows about 500 ) i dont know what the correct figure is?

No need to get into any legal stuff on the phone - in fact I would recommend against it and be VERY civil on the phone - the guy who I spoke too was very tired of abuse - "but as you seem like a reasnable guy I will help you out"

"Hi can you help me? I have recived a letter offering a goodwill payment of £310 - however this is a little short of the ??? as listed by your shcedule that you sent me with the letter "

"If we work this out the total amount for you will you accept this today?"

"yes if you also include the compound interest"

"No problem! - let me get back to you in a hour...."

Job done! with out all the letter writting and waiting etc.

It worked for me and I got £2.2K against my claim of £1170 the extra was the compound interest - at first they offred me £630 as a goodwill....

Please do and good luck with your call.

i rang them this morning and guess what..........steve bailey isnt to be found anywhere lol so they couldnt find the head of customer service i told the customer service adviser that the £310.00 was far less then the amount shown on there list of charges and that i doubted if that was the full history of charges for 6 years that i originally asked for and said i will accept this but i intend to ask for my subject access request to see the full history and i will be claiming the full amount... he said he would get Mr Bailey to ring me himself .......Lets see what he says????