• Tweets

• Hello, You can't make EVRi investigate something. The only thing you could potentially look to do is take EVRi to court for the value of the lost parcel, however with a value of only £25 there will be limited point to doing that.
    • Is the letter headed Letter of Claim/before Claim or similar? If not, it sounds like more of the threatogram chain. If you're not sure, post up an anonymised copy of the letter and we'll check. HB
    • So guess what, we have received a final demand letter for £100. It states if payment is not made by 11/06 they will have no option but to forward the case to their litigation dept with a view to commence County Court Proceedings. So just wondering if anyone has any advice. Do we ignore this? or do we need to take action? Thanks 
    • hi dx, thanks for helping just re-reading everything this morning and I must have missed this one from uncle in his thread "What you should not do, is not contact the Banks and simply default on payments. "  are you in disagreement with this based on your last sentence?
    • Thanks for the reply and clarification, that might just explain why in my case contact has pretty much ceased. Though with such companies it doesn't mean they won't ever threaten to return to court as a tool to force one's hand if they feel they are not self informed on their chances etc.  But concerning how last year they tried to use the CCJ to get a charging order and the court granted an intirum order on our mortgage using the CCJ that would have been a good 2-3 months beyond the 6 years, should the court not have checked the age of the CCJ in the first case or would they always grant an interim order simply off the back of a CCJ being produced without even checking the age of it?.  Had I not defended that action at the time they may well have got a default using a CCJ older than 6 years which could be a concern going forwards. At the time when I contacted the court to question the paperwork for a final order application the clerk suggested people don't get informed when companies apply for interim charging orders, they are automatic if a claimant has a CCJ and people only get contacted once a date for a final order application goes through. kind of begs the question if such companies can continue a seemingly backdoor method to attempt default action if un-defended if the initial application doesn't need to check the age of a CCJ?.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Pezza76 v Nationwide

pezza76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Posted data request letter 16th august recorded delivery

29th august - letter from nationwide saying they are processing my 6 year statements

8th september - have received my statements for last 6 years:eek:

Great stuff - enjoy going through them...hope you find loads :lol:

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Thanks for your support. I am a little confused so may be you can help me? After going through my statements from the past 6 years, the charges total up to around £2500. I'm about to send the prelim letter. In this letter do I ask for £2500 and overdraft interest charges? The interest charges work out at about £950 on top of the £2500?

Hope you can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Prelim letter sent to Nationwide on 8th September 2006

20th September - Standard reply from Paula Blake at Nationwide in Swindon?? I have been sending my other letters to Northampton? Which address do I send the LBA to?

Could someone please be so kind to check through my LBA wording before I send it? I have used the standard template, but changed the wording as they did respond to my prelim letter, but not in the way I wanted them to?

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

I am very disappointed that you have failed to positively respond to my letter of the 8th September.

I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX.

I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the 8th September.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice.

Yours faithfully,

Update - I sent the LBA on Monday of this week (25th September), have just received a letter through from Nationwide today saying

"Thank you for your recent letter.

I'm disappointed to learn we haven't been able to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction at this stage.

As the Nationwide group uses the Financial Services Authority rules when dealing with customers' concerns, I am now referring your case to our Member Service Department for them to review under the complaints procedure.

Member Service will look into your case and will provide a final response on behalf of Nationwide. If you are still not satisfied after receiving their reply, you may then approach the Financial Ombudsman Service for an impartial and independent assessment of the situation.

I have enclosed another copy of our intentional complaints procedure for your reference.

Yours sincerely

Paula Blake"

Can anyone please tell me if this is a standard reply? What do I do next? Wait until the Member Services department contact me or wait for the 14 days to expire and file a claim on MCOL??:confused:

Thanks very much. I'm slightly concerned with the prelim letter and the LBA I sent to them, as I think I got confused with the interest. I asked for all of my charges back which equates to £2600 + all of the overdraft interest they have charged me which was £900. Should I have done this?

I basically have an overdraft with them for £2290, if it wasn't for their charges I would be in credit with my account, hence not accruing any o/d interest.

Please help!:eek:

*UPDATE*

Received through my final fob off letter from Nationwide Member Services today.

This bit made me laugh :D

"We are genuinely sorry that this matter has caused you concern and hope this clarifies the situation and explains why we are unable to refund your charges"

Yeah of cause you are concerned!!!:rolleyes:

Anyway I'm just preparing my MCOL. Could someone please just have a read through and advise if everything is ok with the wording?

1. The Claimant has an account ******** with the Defendant, opened May 2000 2. Since 22/03/01 the Defendant debited charges and interest in respect of purported breaches of contract. 3. Defendant is aware of all details as a list of charges has already been supplied. Another copy will be sent. 4. Claimant contends: (a) The charges exceed the Defendant's losses caused by the breaches; (b) The Term permitting the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regs 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and at Common Law. 5. Claimant claims: (a) return of the amounts debited of £2549.00; (b) Interest per S.69 County Courts Act of 8% - £591.78 continuing at 8% until judgment or settlement at a daily rate of £0.00022; 6. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. 7. Costs allowed by the Court.

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.;)

Right this is my last try before I send it on Tuesday, I seem to be speaking to myself all the time!

Can someone please just check this over for me.

I have changed the wording to read

Claimant has account ******** with Defendant

from 29th August 2000 conducted on their

standard

terms and conditions. Claimant is claiming

the return of £2549.00 taken by Defendant in

charges over 6 years. The Defendant's

charges are a disproportionate penalty and

therefore unenforceable as they are contrary

to common law. They are also invalid under

the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 s.4 and

under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts

Regulations 1999.Para.8 and sch.2.1.e.

In the event that the charges are not a

penalty they are unreasonable within the

meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services

Act 1982 s.15. Defendant has declined

justification of charges despite repeated

requests. Claimant claims interest under

Sec.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a

rate of 8% a year from 23/3/01 to 10/10/06 of

£595.14 and also interest at same rate

up to the date of judgment or earlier

payment at a daily rate of £0.56p

I have been reading here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-step-step-instructions.html

..and it states

"The bank will now either....

A) Ignore the claim completely - they can claim incompetence as the reason for not Acknowledging or defending and you win by 'default' after 14 days. You will need to apply for a judgment which you should do as soon as the time limit has expired.

If they get a defence in before you apply for the judgment, then they gain the right to proceed into court if they want.

B) Acknowledge the claim - this buys them a further 14 days to enter a defence. Some banks will acknowledge the claim and then pay up. They know you MEAN it now! For every threat that gets this far, there are many more that give up long before this point and they know it.

Some will acknowledge the claim, but 'forget' to enter a defence - after 28 days from the date the papers are served on them you will have won by default and you will get all your money back. Once again, you will need to apply for a judgment. If they do not pay you in full, you have every right to send the bailiffs in - this can also be done from the moneyclaim.gov.uk site or by applying in person at your local court (if you started your claim this way)

C) Settle the claim in full, including interest and court fees (if they offer to settle for anything less, then refuse - YOU WILL GET THE FULL AMOUNT)

D) Submit a defence. If they do this, the court will send you an Allocation Questionnaire form to complete. This is quite straight forward and, once again, there is help for completing one."

I would keep checking your bank account tho, incase they settle.

They will acknowledge with intent to defend and round about the same time, pay out.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Great News!!!!:lol:

Have just checked my account on Telephone banking and a cash deposit has been made for £715.32 which is the exact amount I was asking for in Interest plus the £120 court fee!!! Just waiting for the further £2579 to be credited and I've won!!! Get in there!!

Thanks to everybody who has helped me, I couldn't have done it with out you.

Donation is well and truly on it's way!!!:grin:

pezza76

How many times did you have to check the screen to make sure it was there, I remember seeing the balance and thinking it was someone elses account.

Well done and enjoy your money. What you going to do with it, finance some more claims? I immediately started my second claim against them and I have just paid the court fee with the cash they gave me back..."devine retribution"!!

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here