Barclaycard debt

Takingcontrol
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok here goes..........

I have racked up massive debts over the last year or so :-( it all began when my long term partner of 10 years walked out on me just before xmas last year (nice another story anyways) !!

At the moment the one I'm worried about or need the most advise right now on is Barclaycard ..

Now I'm the first to admit that whilst I was in my deep burying my head in the sand depression I stopped paying my barclay card and ignored all their letters and correspondence however I now feel ready to deal with these debts.

I received a default notice from Barclaycard on Friday and am now petrified and dont no what to do :-( please help

How old is this account and how much do you (allegedly) owe? Have you made any arrangements to repay them reduced amounts in the past or did you just stop? You say your partner left last Xmas... so I'm assuming this is when payments stopped.... how have they pursued you up until this point. Have they involved debt collectors?

Apologies for all the questions but it helps to get an overview of what's going on... :-)

No I actually only stopped paying this year maybe about 4 months ago. I allegedly owe £675 (on a £360 limit) Mercers persued it very briefly only a few letters and a handful of phone calls nothing too heavy. Barclays just send me statements and a couple of letters saying your account is overdue. Unfortunately I just stopped paying I haven't made no attempt at all to repay, I'm not proud of myself and hope it ain't too late

Ok... I'm assuming that the Default Notice has come from Mercers...? if I remember rightly, they're not supposd to do this and it's likely that there'll be a whack of unlawful charges added to the account since going to Mercers anyway.

In order to protect your interests, I'd be inclined to send a CCA request by rec. delivery to whoever sent you the DN as soon as you can.... you can find it in the template library. Are you familiar with what a CCA request is?

:-)

Takingcontrol.....Hi...........Have a look at CCCS website,have a look at their Income and Expenditure form,you dont have to sign up withe CCCS,although its free and could help with all your debt problems or look at the CAG site I&E form.and do your own DMP.........Barclaycard are not the easiest company to deal with however dont worry Takingcontrol is a really good start...........I wish you all the best.......FS

No the default notice was from Barclaycard I haven't heard from Mercers in a while tbh. I've done an i&e with £385 split between 9 creditors on £11000 unsecured debt- think barclay was bout £23 per month.

I've read a bit about cca but not familiar no?

No the default notice was from Barclaycard I haven't heard from Mercers in a while tbh. I've done an i&e with £385 split between 9 creditors on £11000 unsecured debt- think barclay was bout £23 per month.

I've read a bit about cca but not familiar no?

Ok... the CCA request is a legal request for a true copy of the Consumer Credit Agreement relating to your account (Consumer Credit Act 1974). This will protect you from court action in case B/card are thinking about it because without one, they can't legally enforce the account through the courts. It's also cheap to do (£1 postal order and rec. delivery postage). If B/card cannot comply with your request and produce an enforceable Agreement then the account will remain in dispute and legally unenforceable; no matter who it might end up with.

If you suspect that the bulk of the alleged balance is made up of unlawful charges however, then you need to send a SAR to Barclaycard in order to work out any charges they may have added and deduct them from the balance they say is owed by you. The template for this is also in the library but it costs £10 to send and it also needs to go off by rec. delivery. Once you've received the information back from B/card and worked out the charges, you can then deduct them from the alleged outstanding balance, write to them, tell them what you've done and what you intend to pay towards any outstanding balance that remains. A SAR doesn't place an account in dispute though.... and since they have 40 days within which to comply.... there's no guarantee that they won't try and instigate legal action in the meantime. Having said that, you'll get notice of it through their solicitors first if this is their intention, so you'll still have time to send off a CCA request at that time (should it arise) if you prefer to do it that way.

:-)

Sorry do you think I should propose a repayment plan before cca? I just think there gonna tell me to p off for ignoring the debt :-(

No. They've sent you a DN.... just send the CCA to protect yourself and then follow it up with an SAR to re-claim charges. Both by rec. delivery.

get reclaiming those charges i bet you have loads!

i'll move this thread to the barclays forum too

that way you'll get slick on board to help

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi TakingControl,

BC are notoriously bad at helping customers when they need help !! So don't expect much from them, even though you are now trying to be pro-active with your debts.

Any of the Debt Advice providers should give you help arranging a pro-rata repayment plan with your creditors and their details are here - http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index.php/Debt:_Where_to_Get_Help

National Debtline would be my recommendation.

Send the CCA request as suggested above.

Keep all your a/c statements so you have details of penalty charges. These can be reclaimed in full with compound interest at the a/c's contractual rate. If you don't have all your statements for any time when you have been charged penalties, you can get them with an SAR request.

Re the "default notice", does it actually say it's a DN or have BC threatened to issue one if you fail to pay.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Could you scan a copy after hiding your personal details, then put it on Photobucket so we can see it. Post the PB link here so it can be viewed.

BC never sent out DN's and always left this to Mercers, who did them wrongly all the time.

Have you sent off the CCA request and the SAR (if necessary).

8)

Edited by slick132
typo

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc but leave all figures and dates.

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

the hit reply button

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...